Pennsylvanian #43/44 May Be Discontinued

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Amfleet

Engineer
The following is from the NARP Director from the Northeast which I recieved from Gene Poon via Freinds of Amtrak Yahoo Groups.

I found out last night that Amtrak plans on discontinuing #43 and #44, the Pennsylvanian on January 9, 2003. Also, Altoona and Johnstown will both lose 2nd shift ticket agents with caretakers replacing them probably at the schedule change.
This probably has to do with such a bad schedule and the discontinuence of express shipping. I'll keep you guys updated. B)

The whole reason the PENNSYLVANIAN was extended beyond Pittsburgh to Ohio and Chicago was for the express. This train spent 1/2 hour in Harrisburg adding or removing the string of boxcars.

I would assume that the PENNSYLVANIAN would be retained east of Pittsburgh, just like it used to be before the Chicago extension. Sad to lose it, as it did offer a very different schedule in Ohio.

Well, with that 1 am departure time out of Chicago, I would probably be discouraged from taking the Pennslyvanian too. I thing they should find a way of upgrading the Three Rivers by adding a diner.

Amfleet said:
I agree with Steve. They also may want to offer a New York (not PHL)-Pittsburgh train like Superliner Diner said.
Agreed, its pathetic that the Three Rivers has no diner, it would otherwise be a good option for those headed to Chicago in NJ and PA. I'd like to see it be reincarnated as the "Broadway Limited" once it gets its diner back, as its an Important train in Railroad history. I agree the Pennsylvanian should be retained east of Pittsburgh, but may need to be rescheduled.

Gene Poon's info is on the money.

I've talked to Gene a few times and found out that he is a travel agent. What really surprised me was that travel agencies have access to ARROW.

I guess they call their clients when the train derails!!! :eek:

B)

I agree with Viewliner. I would like to see a restoration of the Broadway Limited, both in name and in quality. NYC to CHI is a tremendously important market---it needs good treatment.

Well even when the Cardinal goes back to Superliners we may have sacrafice the Palmetto/Silver Palm for the Broadway Limited/Three Rivers unless more euipment is purchased (which is unlikely). B)

I have to admit ...it would be really nice to have a diner on the three rivers this summer,i feel it was the only thing that would have made the trip we took to nyc this past summer,and i agree bring back the braodway limited name it suits it better

Amfleet said:
Well even when the Cardinal goes back to Superliners we may have sacrafice the Palmetto/Silver Palm for the Broadway Limited/Three Rivers unless more euipment is purchased (which is unlikely). B)
Wishful Thinking, hopefully we'll get some new equipment soon. I'll bet there are enough surplus diners in Beech Grove that could be brought back into service and solve that issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back