Passenger View of the CZ accident.

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow!
sad.gif

The part with the local townsfolk kind of reminds me of those documentaries about how Gander-folk helped

all those stranded airline passengers in Newfoundland after 9/11.

Also I'm kind of surprised in the middle of all that, that no one came up to

this guy and told him to stop filming or taking photos.

But yes, very well done and very striking footage of the immediate aftermath.

Wow, I never really realized just how long the skid marks from that truck stretched. He must have been driving mighty fast to leave skid marks that long, and still be traveling fast enough to hit the train that hard.

How many Amtrak cars were damaged? I thought just the two, but from some of the still photos, it looks like at least four.

Wow, I never really realized just how long the skid marks from that truck stretched. He must have been driving mighty fast to leave skid marks that long, and still be traveling fast enough to hit the train that hard.

How many Amtrak cars were damaged? I thought just the two, but from some of the still photos, it looks like at least four.
When I passed through on #6 on 6/29, I saw one coach in the Sparks, NV UP yard and two others alongside the track near the highway crossing. Very eerie scene.

Dan

All or most cars had some smoke damage, but beyond that I believe that 1 car received some serious damage and was left on the rails on a siding near the accident site for the Federal inspectors. Two other cars, a coach & the Trans/Dorm received significant damage and were lifted right off the rails and placed alongside the rails for the inspectors. It is presumed, based in part from the damage seen in the photos and the fact that they were not left on the rails, that this cars are considered totaled and will be scrapped on the site once the inspections (Federal & insurance) are done with them. The car left on the rails, another coach, will most likely be sent to Beech Grove once released by the inspectors to be restored to working order.

Very well done. Thanks for the link.

All or most cars had some smoke damage, but beyond that I believe that 1 car received some serious damage and was left on the rails on a siding near the accident site for the Federal inspectors. Two other cars, a coach & the Trans/Dorm received significant damage and were lifted right off the rails and placed alongside the rails for the inspectors. It is presumed, based in part from the damage seen in the photos and the fact that they were not left on the rails, that this cars are considered totaled and will be scrapped on the site once the inspections (Federal & insurance) are done with them. The car left on the rails, another coach, will most likely be sent to Beech Grove once released by the inspectors to be restored to working order.
Amtrak will make every effort to get the Trans Dorm and first Coach back to Beech Grove, or some other secure facility. They are evidence for current and future legal proceedings on the crash, and will be preserved. If need be, they will cut up the cars and put them on flat cars to transport. Perhaps in a few years they will be scrapped. Depends upon how long the lawsuits drag out.

Amtrak will make every effort to get the Trans Dorm and first Coach back to Beech Grove, or some other secure facility. They are evidence for current and future legal proceedings on the crash, and will be preserved. If need be, they will cut up the cars and put them on flat cars to transport. Perhaps in a few years they will be scrapped. Depends upon how long the lawsuits drag out.
No need to cut them up. An Amtrak car is 85 feet long. A piggyback flat is 89 feet long. A superliner is just under 16 feet high. The floor level of a piggyback is somewhere around 3.75 to 4.00 feet above the rail. 16 + 4 = 20, which is around the height of a double stack. Minus trucks, the superliner will be about a foot shorter. Either way, not problem getting the car back to Beech Grove in one piece.

No need to cut them up. An Amtrak car is 85 feet long. A piggyback flat is 89 feet long. A superliner is just under 16 feet high. The floor level of a piggyback is somewhere around 3.75 to 4.00 feet above the rail. 16 + 4 = 20, which is around the height of a double stack. Minus trucks, the superliner will be about a foot shorter. Either way, not problem getting the car back to Beech Grove in one piece.
Good info, George.

In the Bourbonnais wreck in 1999, they had to cut up the severely-damaged sleeper.....probably because it was so deeply bent in the middle that it could not have made lateral clearances on the way back to Beech Grove on a flat car, or was too unstable to be loaded in one piece. If I remember correctly, Amtrak started cutting up the car before investigators were able to complete their work, and were called out for that in the final NTSB report. So, their goal now is to try and preserve as much as they can until investigations and legal action are complete.

Bullcrap....comparing it to 9/11 (and not even getting THAT date correct) is an affront to every person who lost a loved one in the twin tower terrorist attack and those brave men and women who risked their lives saving others. This video is a travesty....

Bullcrap....comparing it to 9/11 (and not even getting THAT date correct) is an affront to every person who lost a loved one in the twin tower terrorist attack and those brave men and women who risked their lives saving others. This video is a travesty....
I thought that the 9/11 comparison was inappropriate as well, but I understand what the author of the video was trying to convey. I was on the Hudson River waterfront when United Airlines Flight 175 flew right over my head and into the South Tower of the WTC, and I have photos to prove it.

However, what amazed me that in the days that followed such horrible evil, thousands of people - whether they were professional rescuers or not - descended on Ground Zero and the surrounding area to help clear rubble, ferry supplies across the Hudson River or provide food, drink and comfort for everyone there. Perhaps the video's creator was referring to the selfless community spirit I witnessed on Sept. 12, 2011 when he/she was chronicling the crash of the CZ in Nevada this summer.

...Perhaps the video's creator was referring to the selfless community spirit I witnessed on Sept. 12, 2011 when he/she was chronicling the crash of the CZ in Nevada this summer.
I certainly hope so...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back