Passenger train ads/photos from the good old days

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HighBall

Train Attendant
Streamliner Trains that Oozed the Elegance of Old World Travel

From the California Zephyr

czmenubackcover.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I love these pictures, though I'm not sure that Ex Lax on a train is the best idea. :)

Thanks for the link to the photo's....I have most of those brochure's deep in my 'archives', but it was good to see them again, here.... :)

When I ride the California Zephyr I take with me a hardcopy California Zephyr Vista-Dome View Route Guide from 1951, the year I was born.

I got it off of eBay a couple of years ago.

Of course back in 1951 they took the Feather River route instead of going through Reno and over Donner Pass.

Outstanding!,thanks for sharing!

I noticed an early version of photo shopping in the Zephyr Lounge pic which shows a San Francisco Cable Car in the "window". This reminds me of Amtraks Theater Car.

The Golden Age of passenger rail was a glorious time to travel by rail but the primary way to travel long distance was a big factor in influencing the degree of service. There were routes to thousands of cities, towns and competition for passengers between railroads was the driving factor in giving the customer better amenities. While most everyone here knows this its nice to look back to what once was. If rail travel continues to grow then some of the services and amenities offered back then may one day return but the routes like the Olympic Hiawatha are probably lost forever. In pictures and videos you can see the beautiful trip westward through the Bitteroot mountains in Idaho and beyond. It must have really been great to travel that way.

Outstanding!,thanks for sharing!

I noticed an early version of photo shopping in the Zephyr Lounge pic which shows a San Francisco Cable Car in the "window". This reminds me of Amtraks Theater Car.
No photo-shopping....that is the actual wall mural, when the original car was rebuilt around 1960...the mural of the Zephyr route map was replaced, and the room was now called the 'San Francisco Cable Car Room". Besides the mural, there were two glass-enclosed models of the famous cable cars mounted on the walls.

...routes like the Olympic Hiawatha are probably lost forever.In pictures and videos you can see the beautiful trip westward through the Bitteroot mountains in Idaho and beyond. It must have really been great to travel that way.
milw4.jpg

milw5.jpg

milw6.jpg

Back