Passenger survey...All opinions accepted

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
As I start my new career as an OBS train attendent, I wanted to get the opinions and perspective of the passengers on what makes your trip enjoyable.

i.e.

What was your best or most memorable interaction with the on board staff?

What was your worst experience?

What types of things do you expect from these attendents?

What things would you like to see more of?

If you road coach, how did your attendent handle complaints or requests?

If you road sleeper, was there anything you noticed that lacked adaquete maintenence?

While in dining car, how was your service and what can be improved?

I have yet to start training but I wanted to get the passengers take on my job as a OBS train attendent. Thank you.

Sleeping car attendants who make me feel welcome are remembered kindly. There have been a number of these who I recall with positive feelings. Those who are barely adequate fade out of memory. In 2013 I had a lady attendant on the Southwest Chief who was adequate in some respects, but would not comply with my travel companion's reasonable requests and he is partially disabled. This resulted in no tip for her and me making a loud complaint. I would much rather make positive reports. I expect them to handle reasonable requests and to handle the beds being made up, unless I tell them I will do it myself. I also expect rest rooms to be well maintained at all times. Otherwise, I am not a demanding passenger and will tip well with a smile for good service.

The food service has been widely discussed I am frankly more than annoyed that the dumb politicians had to stick their noses in something that was of fairly good quality. In some respects the dining car service is fairly good, but it has declined into mediocrity. For the prices paid for sleeper fares, this stinks. Some people seem to think the food is very good, but, sorry, my tastes differ, preferring something of better quality than what is now presented.

Of all the sleeper car attendents we have had, one stands out alone.....his name is Gul, and he was on the Empire Builder. (Will be on the EB again end of April.....would love it if we got him again.....anyone seen him there lately?) In no way am I suggesting you should center your life around the job, but that is the vibe he gave off......anything to make his passenger happy/comfortable....... including bringing his own candy/treats and offering them several times a day.

My two most memorable interactions with the on board staff:

The first was when my elderly parents and I were coming home on the Northeast Regional from Connecticut after my aunt's funeral. A wonderful conductor (Marv--long since retired) paid special attention to my parents, joked around with them (hadn't seen my Dad smile til then for almost a year), and carefully helped them off the train. It was the last trip they took anywhere, and I have always been grateful to him for making it a good one.

The second was on the Silver Meteor--I was sad at leaving Florida and the friend I was visiting, and it must have showed. My SCA grabbed my suitcase, led me to the roomette, and put the suitcase down. Then he said, "Now they're waiting for you for breakfast in the dining car--you go straight down and eat, and we'll go over everything about the roomette when you come back." Well, I realized later that nobody is looking for you at breakfast--he just wanted to keep me busy, and it worked--I felt much better after eating a good breakfast and talking with a table companion.

Both of these wonderful people had a combination of kindness and common sense, and I have never forgotten either of them. They are good models to follow.

The worst one was a conductor on the Northeast Regional who came into the Quiet Car at New York, shouted at all of us (who had been quiet the whole time) that it was a quiet car, and even though it was spring break, we were to be quiet, and then shouted a whole bunch more rules at us, then walked out with a self-satisfied smirk on her face. (We all stared at each other in horror, but we couldn't talk about her, since we were in the Quiet Car!)

My worse experience, was I guess, also my best in terms of the attendants.

Due to a freight train major derailment, we were "stuck" for 24+ hours. Of course, Amtrak Sr Management all acted like a bunch of incompetent fools in handling the situation. Well, that's unfair. Amtrak Sr Management was far, far worse than incompetent. :wacko:

The only Amtrak people who made a good effort in dealing with their passengers, were the attendants, both the sleeping car attendants and the dining car's LSA. They all did their best to make us as comfortable as possible. At least in the sleepers. They well earned their "A+" with a gold star those days.

What was your best or most memorable interaction with the on board staff?

The crew aboard the Southwest Chief was clearly having fun while they were working, and this attitude was contagious throughout the sleepers and in the dining car. They were always smiling, and very pleasant to talk too. It's a simple thing, but it goes a long way. They were always there if needed, and even if they felt they took too long to respond to something they would apologize. (I never felt it was too long, I am a patient person). Most of the crews I have dealt with are very business-like. That's fine and all, and I have no complaints about such a crew, but they're not the ones you remember. Steve and company on the Southwest Chief... that's who I remember. For positive reasons! Also the crew on 48 (LSL) on my way home. We were on time throughout (in a stretch where the OTP performance was at one of its worse points, and the crew was cheering and excited throughout, something that was also contagious. Happy crew = contagious through the train.

What was your worst experience?

Getting an attitude from my sleeping car attendant on the California Zephyr because I wanted dinner in my roomette (which any passenger is entitled too). I told him what I tell everyone else: at the beginning of the day, I tell him of my intention and for him to come when he has time. I even tipped in advance. Still, this guy proceeded to give me an attitude constantly. Not to mention, every time I walked by "room 1" he was in it , and on his cellphone.

I have worked in hospitality, so I feel my expectations are fair and reasonable. All I expect is for you to provide me what I am entitled to receive. If you cannot, be apologetic and not treat me as if I am the bad one. I am generally an easy passenger to deal with, other then wanting dinner in a roomette.

What things would you like to see more of?

I'm generally content with Amtrak on the level of things the on-board crew can do.

I have minimal expectations in coach. I have always felt satisfied, but then again, I tend to keep to myself and my seatmate.

If you road sleeper, was there anything you noticed that lacked adaquete maintenence?

On the Capitol Limited, my door was not remain shut (to the roomette). Not a problem when I could lock it, but when I was out an about, it was. I just closed the curtain, and the car was pretty empty, and I trusted the people across from me so I wasn't too worried.

While in dining car, how was your service and what can be improved?

All I expect is edible food with average service. My expectations here are far less then anyone else on AU, probably. I am an "eat and go" type, which is why I want dinner in my roomette. Other meals are slow enough for me to eat and go. I have never felt a wait was excessive.

Good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:
My criteria for OBS on Amtrak include:

Bring greeted by the attendant with a smile and introducing themselves no matter the assignment.

Taking pride in keeping their car clean and reasonably quiet, especially the restrooms!

Being willing to help out those in need of extra assistance, ie theelderly, handicapped,newbies and assistance for those with children and their belongings!

Being available when needed and keeping your passengers informed of what's happening on/too the train as much as you can! Don't be invisible to your passengers!

Keep in mind like my all time favorite SCA Leo on the Silver Trains says, treat your car like your home away from home because it is for passengers and OBS!

Good luck with your training and career, it's not just a job but an adventure! Keep us posted!

Perhaps the worst, which was technically by a conductor was seeing him shove a coworker into a seat (hard enough coworker's page came off his belt and hit the floor, shattering). Quite honestly, my coworker would have been well within his legal rights to have filed assault charges.

But that guy was obviously just putting his time in until his retirement. I had at least one other memorable encounter with him.

After that was a car attendant on the Crescent who basically gave no service and ignored complaints about the excessive heat in the car. (After the crew change we found a conductor who was willing at the next stop to go outside the car and turn off the heat for a bit. We all slept much better after that.)

Best... Perhaps Leo on the Silver Star (? I think it was that one). VERY cheerful, friendly, and appears to go out of his way to make us feel wanted. When I asked for a packed lunch from the dining car since we were afraid service would be so slow we wouldn't enjoy it before we got off at Orlando he happily complied and made sure we got EVERYTHING including our desserts (we'd have been happy with just the sandwiches we asked for.)

I sympathize with the OBS folks since there can be some nasty passengers, but there area also far too many that seem to just be dour to begin with.

Basically, make me feel welcome.

My criteria for OBS on Amtrak include:

Bring greeted by the attendant with a smile and introducing themselves no matter the assignment.

Taking pride in keeping their car clean and reasonably quiet, especially the restrooms!

Being willing to help out those in need of extra assistance, ie the elderly, handicapped,newbies and assistance for those with children and their belongings!

Being available when needed and keeping your passengers informed of what's happening on/too the train as much as you can! Don't be invisible to your passengers!

Keep in mind like my all time favorite SCA Leo on the Silver Trains says, treat your car like your home away from home because it is for passengers and OBS!

Good luck with your training and career, it's not just a job but an adventure! Keep us posted!
Ditto about everything - especially Leo. He is the best!!!!

The best experience I ever had with staff was my SCA on my CZ trip last summer, Darrol (or Daryl?) He was funny, he would take time out of what he was doing to chat, and he seemed to really like his job. Yes, he also kept a well-stocked and clean sleeper car, but most important to me was his attitude. People are a lot more forgiving that you didn't empty the trash if you've smiled at them, asked them how they are doing, and told them your name. (It only goes so far, but you get what I mean :lol: )

I guess my biggest piece of advice would be: no matter how many nasty passengers you deal with, have a good attitude about the next one. When I rode the San Joaquin a while back, it seemed like the coach attendant had met so many A-holes that his modus operandi was to be an A-hole first and get a head start. In fact, it seemed like most of the staff on that train had that opinion. I understand you've got to grow a thick skin when you work with people, but many passengers don't have thick skins.

Leo & Vic are the best SCA's by far! :)

The worst SCA by far was an SCA I had on #27 going from CHI-PDX. Shortly after departure from CHI, he came to our room to introduce himself. The next time we saw him, he was standing at the door of our car when we arrived in PDX waiting for a tip! :angry: (We even had to put down and reset our beds in our bedroom both nights!)

I think my main tip would be that it is primarily the staff that make or break a train ride... Equipment can break, delays can happen, but if you have a happy, communicative train staff, most passengers go home happy.

Treat your passengers as you would hope to be treated... It is not rocket science, but sadly some Amtrak staff do seem as if they are doing the passengers a big favor just by being at work... Staff being pleasant to passengers can make for a much happier memory and repeat business.

Good luck with the job!

Ed :cool:

Though not essential in providing excellent customer service, it's imperative that you grasp the written English language better. Spelling and understanding the differences between homonyms - and using them properly (because they aren't caught by spellcheckers) - is very important, especially if you are composing and communicating via email with your bosses. It could mean the difference between a promotion or not.

Back to dealing with customers. Think of them as a guest in your home. Offer them what you have. Most importantly, remember that YOU WILL have bad days. When you do, DON'T take it out on your customers. They don't know (or care) about what's going on in your personal life. They paid money for a service and they expect it.

Good luck with your new endeavors. I hope that you are successful and that the job fulfills your passion for railroading!

Orangesaint hit the nail on the head when he talked about a happy crew. If you enjoy your job and look happy, that will make the passengers happy. If you look miserable and just go through the motions, everyone will think the worse of you.

Also be proactive. Introduce yourself, tell people your name and ask if there is anything you can do. Most of the time there won't be anything but people will remember you for it.

I fully agree with everyone about the happy crew and the clean rest rooms. I've had lots of memorable SCAs and servers. What they have in common is that they all seem to want to be right where they are. Making sure you (as a passenger) are just as happy as they are is their first concern.

I've even had an SCA that had a horrible toothache, and just couldn't wait to get back to home-base, so she could get it dealt wtih. But she was still doing her best for her pax. You will have bad days. No one can avoid them cmpletely. I think explaining why you're having a hard time, and asking for a little sympathy, is fine, as long as you are out there and doing the best you can. You'll find that communication and mutual respect is they key to everyone having a good journey together. Just disappearing, or being visible but obviously resenting the passengers, is the worst thing an SCA can do.

I *kind of* agree with VentureForth about the spelling, *however*: I am pretty tolerant of what I call "creative spelling." I can't criticize someone for doing what everyone seems to do (also, I don't think I've ever had a reason to communicate in writing with Amtrak OBS). But your superviser might not agree with me, and you will have to write down things as part of the job. So it might not hurt to get a little help from a friend that's good with writing, and to at least check your spelling and even the meanings of words that sound the same but are spelled differently ("homonyms" like to-too, road-rode, etc).

Best of luck with the job! You've made a wonderful start. I'd love to know what trains you'll be on. Perhaps I will see you on my big trip next fall!

FYI, I am a terrible typist. I know my spelling, but I have to proofread EVERYTHING because I'm so sloppy, LOL!

I hope I have the opportunity to ride a train that you are working. You are going about this the right way!!! With your attitude and eagerness it is apparent that you would be successful in whatever you wanted to do. I'm glad Amtrak got to you first.

IMHO, learning to "read" people is key. Just like with a bartender or waiter, each customer with be different and expect different things from their server. I'm lucky that I've never had a bad experience with a sleeping car attendant. Some were harder to find than others but not a big deal.

However, one trip on the Sunset, the Chief of On Board Services must have just received the promotion and was quite impressed with himself. He spoke LOUDLY all the time and just seemed to grate on everyone's nerves. He involved himself in several people's conversations and just seemed to not have a clue that he was indeed, " THAT GUY".

Since retiring from being a high school band director, I tend bar. One of the 1st things I had to learn is that no matter how many conversations I had with customers, they are still customers, not my friend. Try to give great service and don't get involved in their personal drama.

But most of all, don't let a smoker miss a smoke stop :eek:

Good Luck !!

Worst Experience:

SAS - FTW

Late November 2012. We had gotten a roomette both ways because it was an incredibly good price. Had a wonderful 2 days at the RiverWalk. Got to the station about 6 AM, checked our bags. The 22 was running late so we walked up and down the platform looking at the trains, the architecture of the buildings, the locomotive on display decorated for Christmas. The 22 finally pulled up and we walked over to see if we could identify out sleeper car. A woman attendant started screaming at us to get away from the train and get in line. I told her we just wanted to see which car was ours and she didn't let me finish, she shouted again for us to go stand in the line. Like idiots, we obeyed and went to stand in the line that was forming as a light rain began to fall. The whole line stood in the rain for 15 minutes before anyone came to scan the tickets and let people start boarding. Fortunately she was not the SCA (not for our car anyway). The rest of the trip was fine.

When I got home I wrote my first letter to Joe Boardman. I have never been back to SAS.

(1) As a sleeper or coach attendant, know what the meal hours are for the dining car (and the cafe car), including breaks. That way, when I ask, you can *tell me*. This involves asking your colleagues in the dining car and cafe car what hours they're going to be using.
I've had real frustrations trying to figure out what the breakfast hours are on various trains *before going to sleep* (you know, so I can *set my alarm*). Some of the best attendants volunteered this information in advance. Also, know which time zones the hours you're quoting are in.

(2) *Be available*. Tell me where you're going to be if I need you. And don't leave that location for more than an hour or so at a time. If I need an attendant for some reason, I don't want to be wandering the whole train trying to find you, and then waiting several hours after that. (Which has happened.)

(3) In sleeper, if I ask to have my bed turned up or put down at a particular time, either do it or tell me why you have to do it earlier or later. I've had attendants who asked when I wanted it done, I told them, and then they didn't show up! For an hour!

(4) As a dining car attendant, be able to get information about the ingredients food. This may be impossible but it would be really useful.

You'll notice a theme here: information. You don't need to volunteer lots of information, but you need to have information so you can answer questions -- and you need to be available for people to ask questions of you. (This will also make your life easier: you don't want frustrated passengers who have been waiting for an hour for an answer to a simple question.)

The worst attendants I had gave me no information, and then disappeared, so that I couldn't get any further information from them if I needed information.

My favorite attendants answered all my questions, explained exactly where they'd be if I needed them... and told me when they'd be asleep and who to go to during that period (the conductor) and where the conductor would be!

Hi, goNplaces! I'm glad you're being so proactive.

I've done a lot of customer service and I always found my day went better when I psyched myself before I left the house (with simple affirmations that I had written for myself) and maintained a calm and in control attitude. Now sometimes you will get that one customer out to ruin your day ... but most customers are great.

When I've ridden Amtrak first class what I really appreciate is when the SCA introduces themselves from the beginning of the journey and also lets me know where I'll be able to find him/her if I need something later.

Another thing that really helps is clear communication about meals or even taking reservation times for meals. I hope you don't get one of those sadistic diner leads that we gossip about on here that make meals go on forever and makes you job impossible. (My diner experiences have always been positive.)

I appreciate a quick check-in prior to detraining to make sure I don't miss my stop (especially at night).

I'm a bit socially awkward (I act different when I'm on the clock ... more aggressive ... but as a customer I'm pretty shy) so I appreciate when the SCA's take the initiate to gently communicate about those basic things. Other than that I'm pretty undemanding. I know that you guys have to hump luggage for elderly people and take meals to disabled customers and so on.

The things that great SCA's have done that really stood out and made my trip more enjoyable:

On the SWC, I travelled with a friend and just about every time we saw our SCA, he said "Hi" and called us by name and asked how our trip was going. I am terrible with names, so I look at this as a real achievement!

On the EB, I travelled with my Dad, and when we boarded in Portland, the SCA had tags outside each room with the passengers names. He had set up a table near the top of the stairs with extra water and candy. He came by the rooms during the trip with a bag of candy and to see what we needed. He kept the bathrooms clean, but also left a can of bathroom cleaner on the counter in each bathroom so that we could help (if you know what i mean). He cleaned the railfan window when I asked. He had only been with Amtrak for about 6 months and was on the extra board. I called Customer Relations after the trip to tell them that is the kind of people Amtrak needs to hire and keep!

On the SWC, we got stuck behind a broken down freight outside of Joliet for 7 hours. Our SCA tried to get as much information for us as possible and kept apologizing for the delay, even though it was obviously not his fault. He passed out water and snacks and did everything possible to keep us comfortable. We were able to remain calm and make the best of a bad situation while the coach passengers went into a near riot.

The only really bad SCA I've had was on the CZ. We saw her at the beginning of the trip in EMY and then again when we got off the train in DEN. I think she stayed in the H room for most of the trip. Needless to say, when we detrained, we walked right past her and used the tip money for a pizza that night.

I hope you have a good and long career with Amtrak and may see you on the rails someday.

The best SCA I have had was Allen Stark on 91. I was really young then and I didn't want to leave the train. But I had always wanted to get my photo by the engine and some older cars. And he walked me up to make sure I got what I wanted. Best LSA I have had was Edgardo also on 91 a few years later. We had to set an engine out in RMT for the auto train which was having trouble. So while the train was without power. He threw a party for the sleeping car in the diner. My sister had mini bottles and we had a great time. Keeping positive is what I would say comes from that. We had fun. We actually didn't want to leave the yard by the end of it

How refreshing someone would ask the group what makes a good SCA.

Like others here, I am like Clint Eastwood and had the good, the bad and the ugly

Here are my keys to success for an SCA

1. Keep the restrooms clean

2.Communicate - every two hours or so - before bed time of course

3. Check to make sure my meal reservations are in order

4. if something occurs, take the time to give me an update - service disruptions of more than a half hour need to have an explanation. Knowledge eliminates fear and angst

5. Mother believed if you can't be pleasant, don't be present

6. Remember the first rule of the Boy Scouts - "Don't Panic"

7. If everyone wants a picture of you - you know you are doing well

Father had a mantra: If you want to go to work you are doing well, if you have to go to work you need a new job.

Serve well and all will be happy

and good luck

By and large we have been lucky in our sleeper and dining car experiences. Our expectation is not more than the onboard staff is expected to provide. We always greet with a smile, a thank you and add compliments wherever possible. We are often greeted with the same when boarding. Positive behavior is contagious but negative behavior can also be.

The minimum expectation is that the SCA shows us to our room, follows up, asks if everything is alright, reminds us for meals, if we need anything and puts our beds down at the time when they are asked to do so. That level of service is fine but on several occasions the SCA's have gone out of their way to give more and when they do, they are rewarded with a larger tip.

Last year our trip started in PHL and ended in SEA. We boarded the Cardinal at 8:20 AM. Not expecting to be offered breakfast Tom (our SCA) warmly invited us to breakfast. At breakfast we were greeted by Craig, the chef, food server and all around good guy. He made us feel right at home as well and did a fantastic job with the limited resources that he had to work with. The trip started on a good note and continued as such with OC and Rob on the Empire Builder and I forget who on the CL on the way back.

Point is that kindness, courtesy, smiles and compliments should be part of an SCA's and passengers makeup. Friendly conversation and jokes sometime pay dividends as well. The SCA's cannot choose their passengers and the passengers cannot chose the SCA's. You will be riding together and must coexist the entire trip. Return a favorable comment with a smile, be courteous and things should go in the right direction. The SCA's have to deal with nice people and grouchy nasty people with attitudes. Make their job easier and they will make your trip more pleasant.

The first thing that stands out in my mind from my very first long distance trip was my attendant at the door to my car greeting me by name and welcoming me aboard. Small personal touches do matter.

As others have said, learning to read peoples mannerisms and body language is important. They may say "it's no big deal" but it may be something that will help their trip be more enjoyable, or even more at ease if they are not used to traveling by train.

Keep passenger safety a priority. Explain why a passenger can't do something if it causes a safety concern, to make them more educated.

Smile. Always. Even if the passenger is "difficult"

I like to see when the SCA makes routine walks through the car. Even if there is no interaction, it shows an awareness and availability. I find it disturbing when the SCA "hides" in their room with the door and curtain closed during normal waking hours. I'm not trying to disrespect your privacy, but I feel it makes seem like you don't want to be bothered to take care of your passengers. (I have had several SCA's like this, unfortunately).

Enjoy what you do.

Good luck in your new position.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back