Party of 3 - Who gets the AGR points?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sueb

Train Attendant
If we are a party of 3 (1 disabled adult, 1 caregiver, 1 adult parent). I (the parent) pay for the all fares with my AGR number on the tickets, how do the points work? The other 2 people don't have AGR accounts. We would get a discount due to the disabled adult. Do I get points for my travel only? Or is there some way to get my son's points a well, since I am his legal guardian and representative payee and he would not be traveling without me. I am having trouble figuring out how this would work.

The way the AGR points work is this:

1. Each passenger can earn AGR points for his or her rail fare only. If that person does not have an AGR account, those points go to no one!
  2. The FIRST person listed on the sleeper reservation can earn points for the accommodation (room) charge, if they have an AGR acccount. If that passenger does not, no one gets pointss for the accommodation charge!
Thus if you have an AGR account, and your son does not - BE SURE that YOUR name is listed first on the room reservation!

But there is NO REASON for the others not to have their own AGR accounts! Sign them up! It doesn't cost anything, and the points that they would have earned will be lost if you don't.

An example of mine is my sister and I went to ATL in a roomette a few years ago. She does not travel by train that much :eek: and did not have her own AGR account at the time. I signed her up. Because I was listed 1st on the room, I earned like 2-3K points for the trip - she earned like 800 points. She has already redeemed one award, and has enough for a 2nd award!

An example of mine is my sister and I went to ATL in a roomette a few years ago. She does not travel by train that much :eek: and did not have her own AGR account at the time. I signed her up. Because I was listed 1st on the room, I earned like 2-3K points for the trip - she earned like 800 points. She has already redeemed one award, and has enough for a 2nd award!
Yes, that's fine if the other person can redeem points for themselves, even gift cards if they don't ride trains much. Our problem is that my son is non-verbal, does not write, etc. He has a non-driver state photo ID, but that and his health insurance cards are about the only ID he has or is likely to get. Certainly no credit cards, although CapitalOne has sent him credit card offers a few times. I don't see how he could sign up for AGR since he is legally incompetent. I would have to fill out the forms (paper or web based) for him, which would be OK with me, but probably not with Amtrak. I would be misrepresenting his ability to choose to join AGR on his own, or to travel without a companion. I know now to make sure my name is 1st on the room/reservation, but sometimes agents have said they can't do that and still give the disability discount on a fare. How can we get both the AGR points and the disability discount? Any thoughts?

Yes, that's fine if the other person can redeem points for themselves, even gift cards if they don't ride trains much. Our problem is that my son is non-verbal, does not write, etc. He has a non-driver state photo ID, but that and his health insurance cards are about the only ID he has or is likely to get. Certainly no credit cards, although CapitalOne has sent him credit card offers a few times. I don't see how he could sign up for AGR since he is legally incompetent. I would have to fill out the forms (paper or web based) for him, which would be OK with me, but probably not with Amtrak. I would be misrepresenting his ability to choose to join AGR on his own, or to travel without a companion. I know now to make sure my name is 1st on the room/reservation, but sometimes agents have said they can't do that and still give the disability discount on a fare. How can we get both the AGR points and the disability discount? Any thoughts?
Sue - if you are his legal guardian then it shouldn't be a problem to sign him up.

Sue - if you are his legal guardian then it shouldn't be a problem to sign him up.
Correct - we called AGR and had an account set up for my fiancee's 4 year old. He's 6 now, and has a little over 1,000 points - one of these days, he'll get a free trip out of the gig (not bad for 2 minutes worth of work).

Many people say that I am incompetent :lol: (I know what you mean), but I don't think that's a problem. AFAIK, the only requirement is that an AGR account has to be for a real person! (After all, you can get an account for your 8 year old, and I don't believe most 8 year olds have a driver's license! :D )

And you can redeem awards for anyone. (I have input into the computer a redemption from my sister's account.) So why not get points for his travels - and at some point it may result in a FREE TRIP! :cool:

The way the AGR points work is this:
  1. Each passenger can earn AGR points for his or her rail fare only. If that person does not have an AGR account, those points go to no one!
  2. The FIRST person listed on the sleeper reservation can earn points for the accommodation (room) charge, if they have an AGR acccount. If that passenger does not, no one gets pointss for the accommodation charge!
Thus if you have an AGR account, and your son does not - BE SURE that YOUR name is listed first on the room reservation!

But there is NO REASON for the others not to have their own AGR accounts! Sign them up! It doesn't cost anything, and the points that they would have earned will be lost if you don't.

Dave, could you just do us all a favor, and change your screen name to "AGR Guru"? I'd be surprised if there wasn't a picture of you on the wall at the AGR offices. (Pinned to, or NOT pinned to, a dartboard, you be the judge!)

Dave, could you just do us all a favor, and change your screen name to "AGR Guru"? I'd be surprised if there wasn't a picture of you on the wall at the AGR offices. (Pinned to, or NOT pinned to, a dartboard, you be the judge!)
To save the extra work, I'll just let everyone call me by my first name - the :p (It's easier to pronounce than my middle name - __ :D )

:lol: :lol: :lol:

How do you figure The_Traveler learned how the AGR program works. :) If AGR doesn't have a picture, I do, maybe 2 or 3

Aloha

Last edited by a moderator:
If AGR doesn't have a picture, I do, maybe 2 or 3
I think AGR has a picture - but they may not have a clue! :lol:

I'm certain that most Post Office and every Police Office, FBI office and Interpol has my picture! :eek: Why do you think I take these long. circular, doubling back trips? :lol:
To wind your Watch and unwind your mind :lol:

Aloha

Back