Parking in Chicago

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SweetSue

Train Attendant
We are possibly taking a (round) trip on the SWC in September. We normally leave from the Toledo station to go to Chicago. Problem is that when we arrive back in Chicago we have a 4 hour or more wait to catch the LSL or CL back to Toledo which gets us in near midnight or after. I'm wondering if we should just drive to Chicago so that we can leave for home as soon as we arrive back on the SWC. I want to return at the last possible moment which means I will have to go back to work the following day and I don't like thinking about getting to bed after 3 in the morning. Driving from Chicago should get us home earlier. Can someone please tell me about the parking near Union Station and how expensive it is? The only thing I see is for up to a 24 hour period. Do they have long term parking?

Last edited by a moderator:
Of what I know about CHI parking there's not much long term parking around. :eek: It's been about 4 years since I've been out there. :eek: I'm more of a NEC guy! :D But a four hour wait at CHI isn't that bad! You can find some stuff to do. The Sears tower is near by. Take a cab to the Merchandise Mart. Ride the Loop! :) If you have sleeper tickets Arriving on the SWC or departing on the LSL or CL you can get into Metropolitan Lounge and there's a TV there. (Last time I was in there) You can also leave luggage there in a guarded room. You can find stuff to do in Chicago for four hours. I'd really say three maybe two and a half if you want to "Day check" luggage.

Good Luck

Steve

There's an Amtrak-owned parking garage that's connected directly to Union Station. It looks like it costs $20 per day.

I agree with trainfan. Four hours waiting for the train could be your cheapest option. You don't mention how many days you will be gone... between the parking fee of $20 minimum per day and the expected cost of a couple of tanks of gas in Sept., you could easily eclipse the cost of a couple of coach tickets. You don't mention what day of the week you are returning. I assume you are hoping for a late afternoon/ early evening Chi arrival. If it's not on a Sunday, you could easily spend a couple of hours at 2 mph on Interstate 80/ 90 east... may even get to watch the LSL or Cl go speeding past you from the comfort of your parking spot on the tollway !!!

If you do decide to drive, another option is to talk to a local who is familiar with the Metra stations in the southeastern suburbs. Those commuters all go right into Union station plus or minus two blocks and on the return could get you out past the interstate mixmasters and other daily bottlenecks of metropolitan Chicago.

Traffic is a pain in the but in chicago too. Especially driving in from Toledo. It toll roads the entire way. I once had my car broken into in that garage. While I was stupid and left stuff out in the open, it was a downer to come back and have an after market radio stolen out of my car. I had the gut feeling it was an inside job too.

I have parked there many times since, with no problems, but there is a since of anxiety every time I come back.

maybe find cheaper parking near a commuter rail station? don't know if luggage might be an issue.

Thanks for the info everyone. It isn't a matter of what to do for the four hour wait, it is just wanting to get home before midnight due to working the next day. Figured we could be home by the time the train is getting ready to leave Chicago. But.... since parking is expensive and a hassle and possibly enticing theives it might just be better to try to take a nap while waiting in the Metro lounge. I'll be tired at work but oh well, refreshed from the time away on the train. (Have a roomette, leaving on Sat, returning in a week on a Sunday)

I think it'd be a hassle, but ...

You could park your car at the South Bend, Indiana airport. The economy lot there (3-4 minutes walk from the terminal) is $40 a week. The South Shore Line runs from the east end of the South Bend Airport terminal to Millennium Station at Randolph Street in Chicago. Cab from Millennium Station to Union Station. On the return, there are trains from Millennium Station to South Bend at 4:02 pm and 5:10 pm, which would get you to South Bend at 7:37 or 8:43 (Eastern Time), respectively, and then you have about a 2.5 hour drive to Toledo.

I think I'd take the Capitol Limited.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back