Paris to Warsaw on a Russian Railroad Train! (Summer 2016)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am Carolyn Jane's sister. In 2010 I accompanied my daughter Elizabeth and her 19 month old twins to

Russia to spend two weeks with her husband's family. We flew into Moscow and took the train to Saratov, on the Volga, a 15 hour trip. Our train going down was circa 1950, same setup as the new ones, but no fancy card entry. The toilet was at one end of the car and looked as though it emptied out on the tracks, At the other end was a coal stove which produced tea, which was the only thing available.

The trains were electric. There was a carpet on the floor and a threadbare carpet in the walkway. The beds were OK, but the ladder to the upper birth was hard on bare feet. In spite of one of the twins screaming off and on all night I thoroughly enjoyed myself, My favorite souvenir of Russia is the tea glass and holder from the train. The trip back up to Moscow was on a newer car, but not that new. This is the train that you may take to Kazakhstan. Mary

One thing of note this train from Paris-Berlin-Moscow is about to be upgraded from the Siemens cars to Talgo cars with gauge changing wheels. Which is supposed to cut I think four to six hours off the timetable.
True. There is a Berlin - Moscow train already running on Talgo. It will be interesting to see when they start this and how it runs, as it should also have seating cars for intra-EU travel. :)

Barciur - you aren't an MD with a degree from Gdansk, are you? (if you are we are distant cousins)
I am not. ;)
Right now the train is running from Berlin Ost to Moscow Kurskaja only on Saturday and Sunday from Moscow and Sunday and Monday from Berlin. RZD claims it's a success so....

Back