Parents of young children I need your input

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Monilynne

Ok...our trip is in just a week. I have most of the questions answered I needed answered, but need to know how other parents of young children have kept their children entertained during the long journey.

Keeping in mind my children are ages 5yrs girl and 6yrs boy. We don't have tons of money for entertainment toys and stuff, so how do we keep entertained during the trip. I know they will sleep a portion of the trip, but the other time I know they will get bored quickly and Mom can only do so much walking around due to my arthritis.

I also don't want to have to carry tons of bags with us either. Since I can't carry alot myself and I'll end up having to help the kids, I like to keep things somewhat light.

Any help is apperciated! Thanks!

Aloha

I started my Daughter riding trains at 4. She started the Granddaughter at 4. Now at 8 I will take the Granddaughter on her first long distance ride, LA to Vancouver Canada and back, via the Coast Starlight and a few other Amtrak trains. On her first trips she took her favorite stuffed animal. On this long trip she is taking just 2 a game and a stuffed animal. Also To help her have fun, I put her in charge of meal reservations and the time to have the roomette changed from day to night and back. 36 days to see if this works. :rolleyes:

Good Luck

My quick suggestion list:

- portable media players - IPODS or even cassette tape players - with age-appropriate books on tape.

- If you have an IPOD, you could purchase / rent movies or tv programs if it's one of the video capable ones.

- drawing materials

- toy cars, dolls, etc. Limit to a few favorites.

- spotting games - first one to see a grade crossing, red car, etc wins a point.

- if they're able, send them on trips to the lounge car to bring back water, etc. Or take them for a walk on the train.

Other parents may have ideas, but those are my quickies, which worked for our kids. Keep in mind that there are power outlets at many seats and in the lounge, so you can recharge electronics you bring along. Have a fun trip, my kids always preferred the train to flying since they could move about.

I would say let them pick 1 or 2 favorite toys, notebook computer/dvd player, dvds, (if you have one) route maps that they can color or follow along with, maybe an etch a sketch, coloring books.

You could have them help choose when to have meals, let them call the Sleeping Car Attendant, help you look at the schedule for the next stops, etc.

A good place for route guides is railpassengerusa.com.

If you feel comfortable with it, they could go upstairs to the coffee station for juice or bottled water. It will be at the top of the stairs-not far away.

Most of the worries of keeping them busy will be unfounded when they look out the windows, or play some games together.

Have a great trip! Please come back & let us know how it turned out!

A fun, cheap, and something that is easy to carry would be to make up a "BINGO" game with random things for them to look for out the train window: A green tractor, a white horse, a water tower with a town name starting with the letter T etc. etc. This should keep them busy. Coloring/activity books or basically anything you might take on a car trip works for the train as well. If you can get some maps or even print out some they can follow along the journey and trace it on the map. It is fun to look for clues to see where you are along the journey. Some trains will have printed brochures of route maps with interesting info. about towns and sites along the way. If you google ______ route map depending on the name of your train you may find some similar things online or on the Amtrak. They can also burn off some energy at a few stops that are a few minutes longer announced as "fresh air" or "smoking" stops where they can get off the train for a few minutes and stretch or throw a ball around. Just be sure to keep an eye on them and stay right next to the train so you can board as soon as the conductor/attendant makes the call.

DVD player, craft projects, coloring books, spotting wildlife out the windows, exploring the train and finding other kids has usually worked for us! Anything they like to do inside at home can pretty much be done on the train. TRY making a tiara on the airplane!

We began taking our kids on long-distance train trips when they were even younger than yours. The other replies offer good suggestions. (Coloring books and a couple boxes of crayons always worked wonders for us.)

The best additional tip I can offer is never miss an opportunity to take the kids outside at the longer station stops (usually announced by the crew as smoking stops). The idea is for them to burn all that excess energy that they have in abundance (that we grown-ups have less and less of).

To assist in the energy-burn process we've been known to pack a jump rope and an inflatable beach ball. (The two items are light-weight, easy to pack, and cheap.)

Despite all our efforts to tucker her out, on one trip the Pacific Parlor Car attendant nicknamed our little girl the Energizer Bunny because she kept going and going and…

Hope you all have fun making great memories on your trip!

Can't really ADD anything to what the others suggested, only EMPHASIZE:

Coloring Books & Crayons. (Draw what they SEE outside the window)

BINGO type of game, and REWARD them for getting BINGO.

Flip or other inexpensive CamCorder, so THEY can take videos.

At STOPS, de-train with the kids as OFTEN as you can.

With my kids, I try to limit the use of electronics to night time or REALLY BORING (for them) stretches of scenery.

My goal, though never fully achieved, is to get them to interact with others on the train, and enjoy the journey. (i.e. look outside)

Just make sure they wear closed-toed footwear, an additional safety tip. Flip-flops are not the best for young kids on a train, when walking between cars.

btw, I LOVED the jump rope suggestion.............

Just got back taking my 21 month old across the US on the Zephyr and SW Chief...

Here's what she did most of the time:

- Colored

- Took her to the lounge car and pointed things out to her. She spent a lot of time staring out the window

- Watching a movie on m iPhone (well.. Sesame Street)

- Looking at magazines

But if there any stops and layovers, it's a perfect time to get her out.

At Galesburg, IL, right next to the station, there is a children's hands-on museum. She spent a few hours playing.

At Reno, NV, we checked out the station inside and all the old pics.

If I managed to keep a 21 month old occupied, I figure it will be easier with a 6 year old.

I did watch other people with younger kids play games in the snack car area (card games). One parent told stories to their kids. One read them books.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you can swing it, a Vtech Kidizoom camera for each of them would probably keep them entertained (under $60).The picture quality isn't the best but kids don't seem to mind. The cameras have games to play on them also. Then they can show their friends the pictures of their trip when they get home.

I've had a lot of luck with my daughter (who is almost 4) on the train. Granted, the longest trip she has joined me on so far was only 5 hours and was during the day. I usually take a portable DVD Player (with headphones) and several of her favorite movies. However, she usually spends most of the time watching the scenery. Pointing out things of interest to her as we went seemed to keep her attention focused on the scenery longer as well. (When riding the Missouri River Runner, I pointed out Six Flags in St. Louis the first time we rode together... and the second time, she kept asking me when we would see the Roller Coasters) Also, taking a favorite toy or stuffed animal is a great idea.... along with their favorite snacks (especially if they are picky eaters, like my daughter)

If they get too rowdy, Children's Benedril works wonders.
Aloha

You know I don't think I have ever seen a rowdy kid with good parents. It's always a long time result of parents that allow bad behavior. By this I do not include a child crying because it is hurt or scared. That can be dealt with. laughter does a lot with young kids.

I took two 4 yr olds from Kansas City to Chicago & back. I brought along a couple of longish story books to read to them (my boys love the Great Illustrated Classics -- there is a picture on every two-page spread). Audio books on CD with CD players could work.

I also bought each a new toy -- a little Playmobil suitcase with pirates & knights figurines, cost about $15 / each @ Target. They played happily on the floor in front of our seats.

http://www.greatillustratedclassics.com/

I've recently seen these books at Michael's craft store for cheap, and of course many libraries have them.

I took two 4 yr olds from Kansas City to Chicago & back. I brought along a couple of longish story books to read to them (my boys love the Great Illustrated Classics -- there is a picture on every two-page spread). Audio books on CD with CD players could work.
I also bought each a new toy -- a little Playmobil suitcase with pirates & knights figurines, cost about $15 / each @ Target. They played happily on the floor in front of our seats.

http://www.greatillustratedclassics.com/

I've recently seen these books at Michael's craft store for cheap, and of course many libraries have them.
My daughter's first long distance train trip was when she was 3 years old. She camped out in the upper bunk, made a fort, played with stuffed animals and generally had a great time. She loved it that the attendent would bring ice, and we got a lot of ice because she got a kick out of it, and the attendent would just bring it by on his own because her reaction was so delightful.

Only real problem was at meal times, when she didn't like eating with other people, and didn't like the fixed time.

All good advice. Thank you.

Anyone who has been to Union Station in Chicago with their kids, can you recommend a good place to eat while there? I don't want to leave the station, due to the fact I have a bad back and arthritis so not up for long walks. I know we will be able to use the lounge there, but we'll have time for a quick meal and hoping for some good advice there.

Thanks all, very helpful people on this forum.

Anyone who has been to Union Station in Chicago with their kids, can you recommend a good place to eat while there? I don't want to leave the station, due to the fact I have a bad back and arthritis so not up for long walks. I know we will be able to use the lounge there, but we'll have time for a quick meal and hoping for some good advice there.

Our kids go see Grandma and Grandpa when we travel, but for a family restaurant near Union Station, I'd recommend Boston Blackie's at Monroe and Canal, about a block and a half north. It's a pretty good, but the burgers are huge. You'll definitely want to split one. It's got a kid's menu, though it's really adult-sized. One kid's meal should easily be enough for both your kids.

Inside the station itself, I like Gold Coast Hot Dogs. It is on the second floor, upstairs from the Amtrak ticketing/platform level. I can be a little challenging to maneuver inside the station the first time (up escalators are not always by the down escalators). There is a little food court up there, which Gold Coast Dogs is part of.

Monilynne --

You can check out the food court at Union Station here, and download a PDF map with names of the places here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back