Parade magazine

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I just got through reading it myself. The only thing I'd quibble about is when he referred to SCA's as "Porters". Other than that, I would agree it was a great article.

I don't see what all the fuss is about calling the SCA's "Porters". The definition of the word Porter holds with it no derogatory connotation. It simply means a person whos profession is to transport things. If I worked onboard I will rather be called a porter than an "attendent" A person who transports sounds a lot better to me than a person who attends. Servants attend, Porters carry.

Great article in Parade magazine today.
Link

Good article. I was glad to see it. I can't wait to take it in to work tomorrow. The closest Amtrak station is in Atlanta so people around here think I'm crazy for driving 3 hours to take the train. :huh: I just keep telling them it's not about getting there, it's about the trip. :rolleyes:

The closest Amtrak station is in Atlanta so people around here think I'm crazy for driving 3 hours to take the train. :huh: I just keep telling them it's not about getting there, it's about the trip. :rolleyes:
HAH! Be glad you have only three hours to drive! Here in North Central Kentucky, our closest stations are that far but we have to board and/or detrain in the middle of the night at both of them. So for westbound trips, we drive a minimum 4½ hours to central Illinois!

(Most of Kentucky believes in highways and bridges ... LOTSA bridges!) :rolleyes:

Very interesting article. I'm happy to know the past two years were the best in Amtrak's history.

I agree that any positive publicity for Amtrak is a good thing. I don't see how the author could have missed the Empire Builder as one of the most scenic trains though.

The author may have missed the EB because he hasn't taken the time to ride it yet! :) I was in Minneapolis/St. Paul this weekend and didn't get the chance to read the Sunday paper until today. I would have thrown it out but a buddy of mine at work asked, "Al, did you read the great article about Amtrak in the parade magazine?" I hadn't so I pulled it out this morning. Good piece! BTW, I checked out the Amtrak station in St. Paul this weekend. Didn't ride a train but was in the Cities for an orientation at the University of Minnesota where my fiancee' daughter is going to go to school. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back