Paper tickets

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AC4400

Lead Service Attendant
Just wondering is it still possible to get paper Amtrak tickets?

Earlier this year, I was able to get paper tickets with non-Amtrak operated buses.

Yes, if you're trip is booked and issued by a travel agency, it probably will be issued on the old airline-style ticket stock. But either way, even with e-tickets, you can get paper (printed) tickets from ANY QT machine.

Just wondering is it still possible to get paper Amtrak tickets?

Earlier this year, I was able to get paper tickets with non-Amtrak operated buses.
Yes it is still possible, just the number of services where paper-value tickets are still issued continues to diminish. You are correct in that there are still a few thruway buses that aren't E-Ticket eligible, and if you book a train segment with one of those the entire reservation would be paper-value tickets. Also the Maple Leaf 63/64 in Canada (7097/7098) requires paper-value tickets, so any reservation that includes 7097/7098 will be entirely paper-value tickets.
Yes, if you're trip is booked and issued by a travel agency, it probably will be issued on the old airline-style ticket stock. But either way, even with e-tickets, you can get paper (printed) tickets from ANY QT machine.
That travel agency old airline-style ticket stock should be going away.You are correct that most reservations can be printed at QuikTrak kiosks BUT those would still be E-Tickets. The OP is likely asking about old school paper-value tickets from the days prior to E-Ticketing, the ones that have monetary value that the conductors tear off and collect.

Last edited by a moderator:
So, those who know:

I always used to receive paper tickets by mail, because the little AmBus which connected from BND to CMO (Bend, Oregon to Chemult) could not accept e-tickets. Last year, that bus started accepting e-tickets. Are you saying that now ALL Amtrak ticketed carriers are supposed to be accepting e-tickets?

I know that some like paper tickets for the souvenir value, but for me, e-tickets have a very high convenience factor!

On our trip on the San Joaquin last month, I saw that the conductor still had his ticket puncher in a leather holster on his belt.

It's good to know that the bus to Chumult now takes eTickets.

For my trip back to the east coast next May, I'm driving all the way to Winnemucca to board the CZ and saving some money and AGR points.

If you order over the phone and don't have e-mail or printer will they still mail a paper ticket? (I use e-ticket online or QT machine at NYP so I don't now for sure)

On our trip on the San Joaquin last month, I saw that the conductor still had his ticket puncher in a leather holster on his belt.

It's good to know that the bus to Chumult now takes eTickets.

For my trip back to the east coast next May, I'm driving all the way to Winnemucca to board the CZ and saving some money and AGR points.
Thanks! I do not know how they do the e-tickets on the bus to CMO -- they did not yet have a scanner on-board last time I rode in Dec 2015, but said they were going to be accepting them within the month. If you need any info, you can always call them at 541-382-4193.

We've done the Winnemucca drive from here. It's a pretty easy shot down through Burns and Burns Junction. There is no ticket agent there, not even a station building, LOL, so you will need your e-ticket! It looks like it is about the same drive time for you as Reno, but at least you can park at the station in Winnemucca.

PVD, I am also curious if they are still willing to mail tickets. I think these days, most people can get a friend or library to print stuff out, but I am sure there are still some people that do not have a personal email account.

That's why I said I wasn't sure. I know there are stations that don't have agents, and stations with no QT machines. I usually print at home whether I reserve on line or over the phone, but originating at NYP I have choice of QT or agent if needed. Its been a while since I got them in the mail. The website still lists ticket by mail options, but it has been a long time since I used them. Other than as a collector, why would you not want an e-ticket? It's a lot less risky in case of loss.

That's why I said I wasn't sure. I know there are stations that don't have agents, and stations with no QT machines. I usually print at home whether I reserve on line or over the phone, but originating at NYP I have choice of QT or agent if needed. Its been a while since I got them in the mail. The website still lists ticket by mail options, but it has been a long time since I used them. Other than as a collector, why would you not want an e-ticket? It's a lot less risky in case of loss.
Even if it was mailed, I doubt it would be anything more than e-ticket documents printed on Amtrak ticket stock. All anyone really needs these days is a name and ID.

So, those who know:

I always used to receive paper tickets by mail, because the little AmBus which connected from BND to CMO (Bend, Oregon to Chemult) could not accept e-tickets. Last year, that bus started accepting e-tickets. Are you saying that now ALL Amtrak ticketed carriers are supposed to be accepting e-tickets?
No, they've had to get agreement from one carrier at a time. It takes a while. Nearly all of them are accepting e-tickets now, but as KnightRail says, there are still a few buses and the Canadian portion of the Maple Leaf.

Greyhound buses and the NJT Atlantic City Line are the two big paper value ticket generators nowadays that I know of.

I'm not sure what will be mailed, but you can print out at a QT any future segments on your trip - even in the middle of your trip!

Example: If your trip was Erie-CHI-PDX-LAX-SAN, while in CHI you could print your EB-CS-Surfliner tickets (but not the LSL segment). In PDX, you could print the CS-Surfliner tickets, and at LAX the Surfliner tickets. (I have done the above, thus I know it works.)

As said, you do not need to do this if you do not wish to. All you need to do is give the conductor your name, and (s)he can "take" your ticket that way. But some like a ticket to keep.

This is good to know!

I know that if you book a multi-city ticket online with "paper ticket segments", then all the segments on your reservation would be paper tickets!

Greyhound buses and the NJT Atlantic City Line are the two big paper value ticket generators nowadays that I know of.

I like paper tickets on occasion for souvenir value, but that's usually for certain very specific runs (e.g. I'd be inclined to, were I Amtrak, run them on some of their specials as well as offer them for a fee on first runs of routes).

I went through the timetable and tested most of the Thruway providers and the only paper ticket generator I found was the NJT Atlantic City Line (and the Maple Leaf)...

Greyhound looks like it's electronic now, and even the Daytona Beach cab takes eTickets!

I wonder how the smaller providers handle eTickets. There needs to be a way for the bus driver to look up a passenger with a reservation by name and lift the ticket, so it's not just a matter of collecting the document then processing them later like Greyhound does with print at home tickets.

I went through the timetable and tested most of the Thruway providers and the only paper ticket generator I found was the NJT Atlantic City Line (and the Maple Leaf)...

Greyhound looks like it's electronic now, and even the Daytona Beach cab takes eTickets!

I wonder how the smaller providers handle eTickets. There needs to be a way for the bus driver to look up a passenger with a reservation by name and lift the ticket, so it's not just a matter of collecting the document then processing them later like Greyhound does with print at home tickets.
I believe that they're provided with the same equipment that Amtrak conductors use, and are trained to use them. At least that's what I've seen with bus drivers. I've heard that bus companies that serve Amtrak passengers in addition to their regular service does the same.

It's a little bit goofy that the two other *train services* are the last holdouts.

Since NJT does not electronically scan their own e-Tickets except at equipped turnstiles, but the Conductors just eyeball them, I wonder what is it that prevents them from eyeballing Amtrak issued e-Tickets on the Atlantic City Line.

Don't recall where I read it, but I'm pretty sure ARC quit issuing paper tickets for Amtrak services earlier this year. It's been a while since I've lifted any ARC tickets onboard. We had a travel agency in one little unstaffed town issuing them with a dot-matrix printer. Could barely read the ticket the printing was so light.

About the only paper value tickets left are USA Rail Pass and open section sleepers.

Almost forgot, if you want a hand-written manual paper ticket complete with the lovely red carbon ink, just book a group through the group reservation department. They actually still issue hand written tickets. Amazing!

Since NJT does not electronically scan their own e-Tickets except at equipped turnstiles, but the Conductors just eyeball them, I wonder what is it that prevents them from eyeballing Amtrak issued e-Tickets on the Atlantic City Line.
NJT's e-Tickets can only be active on one device at a time; and once activated, automatically become worthless after a set time. Not so with Amtrak tickets.

I guess it's a bit of programming to make e-tickets for USA Rail Pass or for group tickets -- or for open sleepers -- but it seems entirely practical. I suppose these are next up on the agenda.

In addition to the above, NJT turns the collected Amtrak tickets back to Amtrak for payment of the NJT fares. Without those paper tickets, NJT would have no way to justify payment, and I'm pretty sure that Amtrak would not just take their word tor it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back