Pantographs

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

I am planning on getting a Bachmann Acela set (HO) and/or HHP-8.

If you set the switch to pantograph, but there is no catenary on the layout, then what happens??

Does the pantograph go up?

Is the train immobilized?

Does it work with DCC still?

Do you have any idea why there are only 3 cars???

Can't they offer the 6 car consist for a higher price?

83003.jpg

Aloha

The picture is of the HHP-8, I don't know about that model. I did get an Acela Set from Bachman. The extra cars were available at the store where I got the set, with a discount. Bachmann's big mistake is car numbers are not marked on the boxes so having the right numbers is a chore. I have a duplicate of one car number but can't tell you which, as this year it is a guest, set in a friend's world. I couldn't go so I sent it to the Annual Weekend and will pick it up at the next gathering.

If you set the switch to pantograph, but there is no catenary on the layout, then what happens??
My module has working Cat so that question won't matter to me. At my friend's the switch is set for 2 rail. The switch is accessible under a roof hatch.

Yes but it is lifted manually with a spring to make wire contact

Is the train immobilized?Does it work with DCC still?
Not sure about the position of switch in circuit at moment, but I seem to remember that the switch transfered one wire from one side to the Pans. So if set for cat will not run without cat.

It took at least 5 time longer to get to the socket for the Decoder than installing it. there isn't much room but I used one from ? TE with plug as part of decoder 3 or 4 years ago and the train operates beautifully, only thing wrong on DCC the trailer car both red and white lights ar on where they should be directional, which on DC they are.

Hope this helps.

Eric

PS: I am a juice jockey as evident by my Signature below. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I rarely read this area, preferring the real thing over models, but I'm guessing GG-1 and others long for the days of real, full pantographs.

ja-t459.jpg

South Shore Line, apparently 3 motors and a sled.

Last edited by a moderator:
I rarely read this area, preferring the real thing over models, but I'm guessing GG-1 and others long for the days of real, full pantographs.
ja-t459.jpg

South Shore Line, apparently 3 motors and a sled.
Aloha and Mahalo for the picture. that modler sure got the snow blowing off the weels right, A VERY BIG :)

Eric

Y'know, Eric, at first I thought that was snow, too. But on closer inspection, I believe it's condensation in the cold air. Notice how it's billowing, not streaming, as snow would do if the train was under way. Maybe from hot brakes cooling while the train poses for its closeup? I think this train is stationary.

I am planning on getting a Bachmann Acela set (HO) and/or HHP-8.

Is the train immobilized?

Does it work with DCC still?

Do you have any idea why there are only 3 cars???

Can't they offer the 6 car consist for a higher price?

83003.jpg
I have the 6 car consit...plus 2 powered locos...the phanto's come up manully,yes the train will not move if that switch has been moved(only if u have cantnary will it move),no matter what u will have dcc. powered either way. Problably the biggest reason for the 3 car consits is that it would cost more to produce a 6 car set unlike a 3.

hope this answers ur question

Back