Palmetto tragedy

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
To the average person you often see railroad tracks for a brief moment in time, and usually there isn't a train on them. Perhaps they are abandoned or just see a few trains a day so you always a assume when you're on the tracks there probably won't be a train.
There are not any subways where I live, so I only see them when I go to Boston, New York, Washington, etc...

Even though I rarely see them, I would never think of crossing the tracks to get from the northbound side to the southbound side! :rolleyes: I also feel the 90+% of the US population that does not have subways near them would feel the same way.

...It's the idiocy of an adult that would actually comply with the eggings of a 12 year old. My kids always tell me to "beat mommy home" when we're in different cars, but I don't. Maybe it's the 37 years in me...
Me too. But someone made the comment that 12-year olds can't have anything to do with this, etc.

What is wrong with you? They may be stupid, but have some compassion. A life was lost. What if a family member read this?
Not meaning to get personal, but these kind of statements irk me. :angry:
I'm a psychotic sociopath with a loathing hatred of stupid people. I derive great pleasure from the removal of idiots from the gene pool. It doesn't happen often enough because we try too hard to prevent it.

Hey, you asked.

Presumably, "well built" people who advocate eating "greasy" food instead of oysters, are a prime example of "intelligence"...?

Ed :cool:

Last edited by a moderator:
Its just mere complacency on those who walk along the drive onto the tracks. To the average person you often see railroad tracks for a brief moment in time, and usually there isn't a train on them. Perhaps they are abandoned or just see a few trains a day so you always a assume when you're on the tracks there probably won't be a train. Or when you do see a train, usually they are moving slowly. Its a sad deal when you end up on the tracks at the same time as a train though.
In this particular case, the location of this accident is a very busy track. There are two or three Amtrak trains coming through here at 79 MPH in each direction and numerous freight trains. Not as busy as the NS in North Carolina, but still it's the CSX mainline and it's very busy. Anyone living in Hardeeville is aware of the level of traffic here. And, barring a yellow light, freight traffic can barrel through here at 59 MPH. A 100-car train regularly makes it through the crossing in about 2 minutes - about two traffic lights worth.

Continuing to see it on the news is still sad. :(

...It's the idiocy of an adult that would actually comply with the eggings of a 12 year old. My kids always tell me to "beat mommy home" when we're in different cars, but I don't. Maybe it's the 37 years in me...
Me too. But someone made the comment that 12-year olds can't have anything to do with this, etc.

What is wrong with you? They may be stupid, but have some compassion. A life was lost. What if a family member read this?
Not meaning to get personal, but these kind of statements irk me. :angry:
I'm a psychotic sociopath with a loathing hatred of stupid people. I derive great pleasure from the removal of idiots from the gene pool. It doesn't happen often enough because we try too hard to prevent it.

Hey, you asked.
Are you self-diagnosed or has this been suggested by a qualified person? Either way, you need some help!

Hey, you asked.

Many well-educated people (many of whom argue the merits of Darwin's theories on a regular basis) believe that "psychotic sociopath" should also be removed from the gene pool.

I do not agree with any such beliefs.

Hey, you asked.

Many well-educated people (many of whom argue the merits of Darwin's theories on a regular basis) believe that "psychotic sociopath" should also be removed from the gene pool.

I do not advocate active removal of such people. But I enjoy watching them remove themselves.

My wife's grandfather was an Amtrak engineer back in the early days; he had the horrifying experience of watching a carload of teenagers attempting to beat the train, and being helpless to do anything except pray. He doesn't talk about it much, but it's clear that even after 30+ years, it's still a traumatic memory for him.

Hey, you asked.

I do not advocate active removal of such people. But I enjoy watching them remove themselves.
Take a good look in the mirror. What do you see? Maybe someone who once bragged about driving a beat-up Mercedes 105 mph with no hands on the steering wheel. You could have killed yourself. You could have killed others. It was an incredibly stupid and reckless thing to do. Thankfully, nothing happened. But, if it had, I can assure you that I, for one, would not have expressed delight with the removal of one more idiot driver.

Next time you gloat over a human being losing a life, and a family losing a loved one, because of what you define as an offense worthy of that end, take a good, hard look in the mirror.

Very good effort PRR, but I'm can envision a dodgy reply stating factually that people who own mirrors are part of the problem since mirrors can cause who knows what, then nitpicking you for calling the car "beat-up."

I actually thought about this thread yesterday while on the bus to work, when some idiot decided to make a left turn on the blind side of a left turning 60 foot bus from the straight lane, resulting in us having to hard brake - thankfully no one was standing. While I'm no "sociopath," I will admit my sympathy for individuals who brazenly do idiotic things that endanger others and hurt themselves in the process is pretty much nil.

Take a good look in the mirror. What do you see? Maybe someone who once bragged about driving a beat-up Mercedes 105 mph with no hands on the steering wheel. You could have killed yourself. You could have killed others. It was an incredibly stupid and reckless thing to do. Thankfully, nothing happened. But, if it had, I can assure you that I, for one, would not have expressed delight with the removal of one more idiot driver.
Next time you gloat over a human being losing a life, and a family losing a loved one, because of what you define as an offense worthy of that end, take a good, hard look in the mirror.
*shrugs* Everyone does stupid things in their youth. If it took me out, I'd have had no sympathy for myself, either.

Have I ever claimed to be consistent, Bill? Or even reasonable?

(I'd be kidding myself if I ever called myself reasonable. Dear lord.)

Whenever I see threads like this -- and there are sure a lot of them -- I end up being more than a little appalled by some of the vitriol. The driver of that car definitely made a tragic mistake and caused needless deaths, but that doesn't mean that he shouldn't be mourned.
And I think it's important to remember this: though some of us may deny it, I have absolutely no doubt that every single one of us has done any number of things in our lives that were impulsive enough and stupid enough that they could have gotten us killed ... but we ended up being lucky. I suppose it's easy to forget that, though, when there's a rush to be self-righteous.
Well said. I just wanted to quote this in case anyone missed it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back