Palmetto Consist

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Iron

Conductor
Doing an AGR trip with wife and daughter from RVR to NYP this weekend. I plan to get Business Class on the Carolinian (RVR to NYP) and not upgrade to Business Class on the return trip because of the AF2's seat pitch.

I notice that The Palmetto has one AF1 coach in the consist. When I board in NYP will I be able to choose what car we are in? Of course not Business class unless I change my mind. If we can't sit in an AF2 I may upgrade.

Also, any NYP boarding tips for the Palmetto, usual track number, when is track # shown on departure board, anything anybody feels I should know.

Thanks,

Doing an AGR trip with wife and daughter from RVR to NYP this weekend. I plan to get Business Class on the Carolinian (RVR to NYP) and not upgrade to Business Class on the return trip because of the AF2's seat pitch.

I notice that The Palmetto has one AF1 coach in the consist. When I board in NYP will I be able to choose what car we are in? Of course not Business class unless I change my mind. If we can't sit in an AF2 I may upgrade.

Also, any NYP boarding tips for the Palmetto, usual track number, when is track # shown on departure board, anything anybody feels I should know.

Thanks,
I wont try to advise on the NYP Questions, but an AMII is Always Better than an AMI whether Biz Class or Coach!

And a RedCap to the Platform and your Train is Always a Worthy Investment of $5 in NYP!!! ;)

Thanks,
I wont try to advise on the NYP Questions, but an AMII is Always Better than an AMI whether Biz Class or Coach!

And a RedCap to the Platform and your Train is Always a Worthy Investment of $5 in NYP!!! ;)
Thanks for the Red Cap advise, forgot about that. I may try to take the Silver that leaves an hour later and work in lunch in the diner. I haven't had the opportunity to eat in a heritage diner since the single level CL days.

Another question, what does the following service alert mean? I can't figure it out.

• Train 89 will depart New York at 10:02 am and continue operating up to 4 hours later than scheduled departure times shown in Amtrak printed timetables for stations between Newark and Savannah.

They're doing track work right now in the PTB-RMT area, but didn't re-print the timetable for the schedule change. So if you picked up the current Silver Service timetable you won't see accurate times in there.

Another question, what does the following service alert mean? I can't figure it out.

• Train 89 will depart New York at 10:02 am and continue operating up to 4 hours later than scheduled departure times shown in Amtrak printed timetables for stations between Newark and Savannah.
If you enter NYP to RVR in the Amtrak reservation system for next Monday, Nov. 4, it shows #89 departing NYP at 10:02 AM, arriving RVR at 3:40 PM, which is much later than the normal schedule. There is CSX track work from October 13 to November 14 that is causing changes to the Palmetto, the northbound Silver Star, and canceling the Carolinian between NYP and Raleigh on Monday to Thursdays.

Anecdotes say that Palmetto pax riding "short" distances are stuffed into the Amfleet I. RVR from NYP might or might not fall into that. Good luck.

Anecdotes say that Palmetto pax riding "short" distances are stuffed into the Amfleet I. RVR from NYP might or might not fall into that. Good luck.
I rolled the dice and booked coach for Train 89. I figure we can take our seat checks to another car if stuffed into the AF1. I've ridden many times in AF1's so it won't be that big of a hardship if we can't make the move.

Just got back from the RVR-NYP round trip. I was very impressed with the Business Class on the Carolinian. Nancy was the car attendant and she did a fabulous job. I'll be writing a note to Amtrak complimenting her. She was proud of the fact that the Carolinian is the last Amtrak train to have pillows in coach. She said the State of NC wanted to keep the pillows. She pushed the beverage cart up and down the aisles and made sure we had everything we needed. We were travelling as a family of three and Nancy greeted us by name and had seats reserved for us. She even allowed us to board before the other pax that were ahead of us?? She received a nice tip.

We did get an AM II on the Palmetto. Most of the Pax in our car were going to ALX and RVR. Interestingly, the Pax in the AM I were going to Rocky Mount, Fayetteville and points South in NC. The last coach on the train remained empty from NYP to RVR only being used by the car attendant who hid there until it was time to let pax off.

Time keeping was impeccable both ways, minor delay Northbound due to single track North of Wilmington due to some downed wires.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back