Pacific Surfliner ?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rail Freak

Engineer
Am I remembering correctly reading that if I by a ticket for a certain day that I'll be allowed to take any Surfliner that day between my city pairs? Thanx

I believe a certain period around the Thanksgiving holidays are excepted because the Surfliner is considered "reserved" (which may also mean bucket pricing). Otherwise - I believe that your ticket would still be valid for up to a year if unused.

Even during the Thanksgiving period, they're probably going to let you on the train if you missed a previous one. I helped book tickets around last Thanksgiving for a friend of the family, and their bus ride from Bakersfield to LA was delayed due to the weather and they missed a Surfliner connection at LAUS. They were placed on the next one. I also understand that even on sold out "reserved" Surfliner trains, they will allow monthly or 10-ride passengers to board. I've even heard of some who were desperate enough to just buy a 10-ride when it was sold out, although they are "transferrable" meaning one can take other passengers on the same ticket and they can be used on a round-trip. It might even make sense if it's something like 4 passengers. I looked it up, and one way is $37 LAX-SAN. A 10-ride is $222. So the breakeven point is 6 rides (3 passengers RT). So if it's 4 or 5 passengers round-trip it sound like a no-brainer to just get the 10-ride.

BC is currently $50. Does it get higher,closer to travel? If so, how much?Thanx
Only during holiday weekends. The price on the Surfliner is consistent. 5 days from now or 20 days from now the price will be the same. From what I understand, the state does this to encourage people to use the train instead of driving. It helps to know the price.

BC is currently $50. Does it get higher,closer to travel? If so, how much?Thanx
Only during holiday weekends. The price on the Surfliner is consistent. 5 days from now or 20 days from now the price will be the same. From what I understand, the state does this to encourage people to use the train instead of driving. It helps to know the price.
20 days from now is Memorial Day. :giggle:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back