Pacific Surfliner Business Class Question

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sue in KY

Service Attendant
On the return part of our trip next month, we'll leave San Diego on the first Surfliner of the day, just past 6 a.m.

The Amtrak site mentions "complimentary light snacks and beverages," and that "sandwiches and snacks" are sold in the café car. None of this sounds breakfast-y, though. Does anyone know if Amtrak's idea of early morning snacks include danish or other breakfast bread, or fruit or something?

Sue (who always plans for eventualities when hunger might be involved) :rolleyes:

In Business Class, it is pre-packaged cinnamon rolls and coffee.

The cafe has just about everything though...I picked up cereal on it earlier this month. And if it's a weekend train at 6am, you and maybe 5 others will be in the Business section! haha

Thanks, all, for the quick answers!

Yeah, I thought I'd mentioned somewhere in my original post that we'd be in business class ... but when the_traveler asked, I went back and found nothing about it in the body of my message.

Sue (sometimes guilty of failing to read the titles ... even of my own posts) :rolleyes:

On the return part of our trip next month, we'll leave San Diego on the first Surfliner of the day, just past 6 a.m.
I have taken this train. There will be danishes, rolls, and/or muffins and juice; this is all complimentary and, theoretically, all that you want.

It's nothing terribly exciting, but it doesn't cost you a penny more than you've already spent.

You never know! :D After all, train #162 Sunday had a car marked "businessclass" as car #6 (out of 7 cars) - business class is car #1!
Ah ... interesting. Is it always Car #1? (I ask because a "typical consist" graphic I saw had it first after the engine northbound but next to the end going south.)
I would say yes.

At KIN, it has a (about) 10 car long low level platform. When they remodeled it, they put in a 1 car length high level platform - for use of "business class and handicapped passengers". This platform is at the location of car #1 both northbound and southbound.

You never know! :D After all, train #162 Sunday had a car marked "businessclass" as car #6 (out of 7 cars) - business class is car #1!
Ah ... interesting. Is it always Car #1? (I ask because a "typical consist" graphic I saw had it first after the engine northbound but next to the end going south.)
While I'll admit that my samplings have been limited, everytime that I've taken a Surfliner the BC car has always been the first car southbound to San Diego and the last car northbound from San Diego.

I have taken this train. There will be danishes, rolls, and/or muffins and juice; this is all complimentary and, theoretically, all that you want.
It's nothing terribly exciting, but it doesn't cost you a penny more than you've already spent.
"Nothing terribly exciting" I can handle, and cost doesn't bother me -- going more than three hours after getting up without having eaten anything gets me into flaky territory! :rolleyes:

I would say yes.
At KIN, it has a (about) 10 car long low level platform. When they remodeled it, they put in a 1 car length high level platform - for use of "business class and handicapped passengers". This platform is at the location of car #1 both northbound and southbound.
OK, I'm confused (not that that's a rare occurrence). Isn't "KIN" Kingston, Rhode Island?

That's not on the Pacific Surfliner schedule ... is it? :p

While I'll admit that my samplings have been limited, everytime that I've taken a Surfliner the BC car has always been the first car southbound to San Diego and the last car northbound from San Diego.
Alan -- yes, that's what the graphic I saw at the bottom of this page suggested — although I've no way of knowing how current the graphic is (probably not very) or even how reliable the rest of the page info is.

Thanks for confirming.

I would say yes.
OK, I'm confused (not that that's a rare occurrence). Isn't "KIN" Kingston, Rhode Island?

That's not on the Pacific Surfliner schedule ... is it? :p
Yes it is, and it is not on the Surfliner (2,500 miles away).

Sorry for the confusion! :( I was answering your reply, thinking it was a direct reply to me. (That happens to me alot - and not just on this forum! :p ) AFAIK, Alan's reply is correct. That's the way I know it also.

Hi Sue!

Wish I'd noticed this thread sooner. I ride the Surfliner frequently (perhaps unhealthily so :p , at least once per weekday and often on the weekends), and (on longer [1.5+ hours] trips), often in BC, so I am qualified :p to confirm what others have said, and add a little more detail.

Train Layout

The diagram at the link you mentioned *is* a little dated, in two respects:

1. Rather than always pointing north towards San Luis Obispo as the diagram suggests, the engine actually points away from Los Angeles; i.e. when going from Los Angeles to either San Diego or Santa Barbara/SLO, the train 'goes forward' (engine pulling) in layman's terms, and when going from San Diego or Santa Barbara/SLO to Los Angeles, the train 'goes backwards'.
  2. The cafe car is between the business car and all the coach cars, not between two coach cars as in the diagram.
Probably an easier way to remember is that the business car is the one right next to the engine. More specifically in your case, at San Diego it will be the 'leftmost' (from the point of view of looking from the station towards the train), and likely be directly straight forward from the gate onto the platforms (you'll see what I mean when there). Or look for a person in a smart vest who is obviously an Amtrak employee, but not a conductor (no cap); that'll likely be your BC attendant. Another perk of Surfliner business class that's only available in San Diego is that you have your own line.

Where to sit

Assuming that you want to be on the ocean side, facing forward, as most people do: when you get upstairs, face so the engine is behind you and all the other cars before you, then take a seat on your left side facing in that direction.

Amenities

Always on offer and essentially all-you-can-consume (within reason), starting in the morning: fresh-brewed Green Mountain coffee, apple juice in rectangular stab-the-foil-with-the-pointy-straw boxes, prepackaged cinnamon rolls, prepackaged small muffins, usually two (but sometimes only one) of the following varieties: blueberry, oat bran, chocolate. That day's newspaper, sometimes USA Today, but usually the local of wherever that trainset started its day (which may or may not be where that particular train number started its run: I've seen Santa Barbara newspapers on an evening train out of San Diego, because it started its day in the early morning in Santa Barbara). Because your trip is the first of the day for that set, though, it's likely to be the San Diego Union-Tribune.

So complimentary breakfast in BC is more room-temperature continental than proper hot full breakfast (but see also the cafe exposition below).

Additionally on offer after noon (in case you decide to take a later train): a single approx. 8-oz (yes, even of sodas) serving of water, Stone Cellars white (chardonnay) or red (don't remember the particular kind) wine, or various kinds of soft drinks, including Pepsi, Diet Pepsi, and some lemon-lime soda (Sierra Mist, I think...I've never observed closely); as well as a snack pack containing white corn tortilla chips, salsa, rosemary crackers and cheese to spread thereon with an included knife, a small packet of dried fruit, a cookie either oatmeal raisin, lemon cream (my own favorite), or butter cookies, and either an individually-wrapped stone-hard Mentos or a generic translucent hard candy with a flavor resembling mint.

Cafe

No matter where you sit in the BC car, there is only one way out (the other looks at the back of the engine), and this next car is the cafe car. In the typical orientation, the stairs down to the cafe will be at the other end. So go through the only door that opens :p , then almost the full length of that next car, and down the stairs on your right (also made prominent by a glowing purple sign that says 'Sea View Cafe'.

There's a menu online here. In looking at it, it's the immediately previous version: a few prices have gone up (canned soft drinks now $2; chuljin's famous cheese and crackers now $3.75, etc.)

Of all the things on the menu, I have had all of the following (not all in one sitting, of course), and would recommend any of them: the breakfast bagel, the cheese and cracker tray, the jalapeño cheeseburger, the cheese and cracker tray, the hummus (which comes with pretzel chips...note that they seldom have them, though), and the cheese and cracker tray. You may notice I'm a fan of the cheese and cracker tray. :) It is usually what I have with my business class AmWine, foregoing the snack pack or saving it for later.

Enjoy your trip!

Do let us know if you have any other questions. I'll try my best to answer, perhaps even from memory. :)

Chris

Last edited by a moderator:

[Lots of great information]

Do let us know if you have any other questions. I'll try my best to answer, perhaps even from memory. :)

Chris
Thanks for all that, Chris — I'd been hoping I'd find a regular Surfliner rider here! You've answered all my questions, even the ones I hadn't thought to ask.

We're pretty much limited to the early-early morning Surfliner, since we have sleeper tickets for the Coast Starlight that leaves LAX that morning at ... 10:15, I think — unless we took an evening Surfliner the previous day and got a hotel in L.A., which we don't want to do because we're visiting family in San Diego [says she, out of breath after that long, drawn-out sentence].

[Lots of great information]

Chris
Thanks for all that, Chris — I'd been hoping I'd find a regular Surfliner rider here! You've answered all my questions, even the ones I hadn't thought to ask.

We're pretty much limited to the early-early morning Surfliner, since we have sleeper tickets for the Coast Starlight that leaves LAX that morning at ... 10:15, I think — unless we took an evening Surfliner the previous day and got a hotel in L.A., which we don't want to do because we're visiting family in San Diego [says she, out of breath after that long, drawn-out sentence].
Oh, I hadn't realized that (though I should have guessed). You're right, that's the *only* PS that connects to the CS.

Well, certainly one thing you may want to take advantage of is the TRAXX lounge at Union Station, which is available to people going sleeper on that day's Coast Starlight. I've never availed myself of it (I've been on the CS maybe 8 times, but all but one were short trips in coach, and that one sleeper was *towards* LA), so I defer to others on details, but having walked by and pressed my nose up against the imaginary glass, it at least looks like a more comfortable place to wait than the general area. It's in the southwest corner of the Main Hall, just inside the main entrance.

The Amtrak site mentions "complimentary light snacks and beverages," and that "sandwiches and snacks" are sold in the café car. None of this sounds breakfast-y, though. Does anyone know if Amtrak's idea of early morning snacks include danish or other breakfast bread, or fruit or something?

Sue (who always plans for eventualities when hunger might be involved) :rolleyes:
I have taken the route several times and in the morning in business class you get prepackaged danish and coffee. These are located to the front (engine end) of the car and is self serve. Also you get newspapers as well.

I saw someone had mentioned the Cafe car which is the next car back. Being in business get you nothing in the cafe except doors and stairs to deal with. You still have to pay menu prices. DO NOT GET THE BREAKFAST SANDWHICH IN THE CAFE....NASTY! I am suprised for Jimmy Dean® products. It had no taste what so ever.

In the afternoon you get a very generous snack pack and drinks served at your seat, once. Not sure what you do about refills. I saw he had small bottles of wine but do not know if they are included or if they collect cash ala airlines.

Oh, I hadn't realized that (though I should have guessed). You're right, that's the *only* PS that connects to the CS.Well, certainly one thing you may want to take advantage of is the TRAXX lounge at Union Station, which is available to people going sleeper on that day's Coast Starlight. I've never availed myself of it (I've been on the CS maybe 8 times, but all but one were short trips in coach, and that one sleeper was *towards* LA), so I defer to others on details, but having walked by and pressed my nose up against the imaginary glass, it at least looks like a more comfortable place to wait than the general area. It's in the southwest corner of the Main Hall, just inside the main entrance.
Yep, I'd noted the Traxx Lounge info earlier — AND the advice to accept a ride on the luggage cart when boarding the Coast Starlight!

(I can see us now, stopping in the middle of every few minutes to consult Sue's AU Forum Book of Accumulated Wisdom on that trip next month ....) :rolleyes:

I have taken the route several times and in the morning in business class you get prepackaged danish and coffee. These are located to the front (engine end) of the car and is self serve. Also you get newspapers as well.I saw someone had mentioned the Cafe car which is the next car back. Being in business get you nothing in the cafe except doors and stairs to deal with. You still have to pay menu prices. DO NOT GET THE BREAKFAST SANDWHICH IN THE CAFE....NASTY! I am suprised for Jimmy Dean® products. It had no taste what so ever.

In the afternoon you get a very generous snack pack and drinks served at your seat, once. Not sure what you do about refills. I saw he had small bottles of wine but do not know if they are included or if they collect cash ala airlines.
Scott — thanks! Think we probably won't deal with the doors and stairs just to get to the café — a cinnamon roll or danish will do us just fine.

I have taken the route several times and in the morning in business class you get prepackaged danish and coffee. These are located to the front (engine end) of the car and is self serve. Also you get newspapers as well.

I saw someone had mentioned the Cafe car which is the next car back. Being in business get you nothing in the cafe except doors and stairs to deal with. You still have to pay menu prices. DO NOT GET THE BREAKFAST SANDWHICH IN THE CAFE....NASTY! I am suprised for Jimmy Dean® products. It had no taste what so ever.

*nod* life wouldn't be as interesting if we all agreed about what is good, right? :) (in a PM earlier this evening, a friend of mine was excoriating the wretchedness of the jalapeño cheeseburger. :) )

Sue, if (as I saw in a later post) muffins and danishes and coffee work, you'll be just fine and not need to leave that car. :)

Scott: the little bottles (about one glass) from the attendant are free...once. No refills of whichever single beverage you choose among those offered. And indeed (for example) wine and water are mutually exclusive choices, if you can believe it. If you want something else, it's cafe, or bring your own (non-alcoholic only in the latter case...I've seen people expelled for consuming their own private stock!). The things that you can get one of free from the BC attendant are also miniature versions of the corresponding ones for sale in the cafe: 8oz cans of soda, bottles of water, bottles of wine vs 12oz cans of soda, 20(?)oz bottles of water, and half-bottles of wine.

But I digress. Sue: muffins, danishes, and bottomless coffee, for the win. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back