Pacific Parlour Car

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone really believe that Bush, Obama, or McCain even know there is such a thing as a "Pacific Palour"?
McCain's wife might know, if she's hands on and tracks sales closely. She's a major beer distributor. Don't know that her distributorship is an Amtrak contractor, but if she's aware of competitors she'd know.

In a recent interview Ms. McCain told of conquering her fear of flying by taking flight classes and buying her own plane. Pretty cool, but I wonder how many of us have that option.

EDIT: Could Ms. Obama buy her own plane?

Last edited by a moderator:
The car host said Amtrak has 4 of these cars and a private party has one.
so passengers who purchased first class tickets may be denied a ppc because a "private party" has one????? :angry: i thought amtrak had five ppcs.
Sadly, I suspect this is another instance of an Amtrak crew member spreading incorrect information. It happens often, and certainly the bit about President Bush personally saying something specifically about the PPCs is incorrect.

It likely means that one of the ex AT&SF high level lounge cars which have become the Pacific Parlour Cars has been sold to a private party. There were 6 high level lounge cars built for the El Capitain. I believe one may have been wrecked. All 6 were sold to Amtrak in 1971.

It likely means that one of the ex AT&SF high level lounge cars which have become the Pacific Parlour Cars has been sold to a private party. There were 6 high level lounge cars built for the El Capitain. I believe one may have been wrecked. All 6 were sold to Amtrak in 1971.
But AlanB has given detailed information about all five cars within the past six months as they cycle through Beech Grove, I think, which is a pretty solid indicator that Amtrak owns and operates all five cars. Apologies to Amtrak train crew, but I trust AlanB's information more than theirs.

Specifically, on January 7, AlanB wrote "Well all cars are listed as active and most just went through a major rebuild, so I would think that anything going on right now would be light work in nature. Therefore the odds should be rather good that you'll get a car, but with only 5 cars in service any problems will result in a consist going out without a PPC." But then on January 11, AlanB wrote "There are still 4 PPC's listed as active, last I had heard 3 were running with one in the shop in LA awaiting on parts. Mind you that info is over a month old, so it may have changed. The 5th remaining PPC owned by Amtrak has been stricken from Amtrak's active roster and remains in Beech Grove unusable and awaiting a still hoped for overhaul." So I don't know what the status of that 5th PPC is, but it sure sounds like all five are Amtrak-owned (or were in January). And I can't imagine why Amtrak would have sold one of them at that point, when they were in high gear on restoring these cars for the grand relaunch of the Coast Starlight.

Amtrak at one time many years ago did own 6 PPC's and had refurbished all of them for service. I don't recall just when, but at some point before 2000 for sure and perhaps even earlier than that, one was sold to a private party. That left 5 PPC's, which was still more than needed for service.

Amtrak still owns all 5 to my knowledge, all 5 are still carried on the active roster, all 5 went through Beech Grove for the most recent refurbishments, and I can't imagine that it would play well for Amtrak to have subsequently sold one of those newly refurbished cars.

Over the weekend, while channel surfing, I came across a show on The Travel Channel about (I forget the name) National Parks by Rail. The last segment showed the CS - and included a PPC!

I don't know if it was the "old" PPC or the "new" PPC? (I didn't catch the date.) It looked nice! I hope they last a few months, so I can try it!

Amtrak at one time many years ago did own 6 PPC's and had refurbished all of them for service. I don't recall just when, but at some point before 2000 for sure and perhaps even earlier than that, one was sold to a private party. That left 5 PPC's, which was still more than needed for service.
Amtrak still owns all 5 to my knowledge, all 5 are still carried on the active roster, all 5 went through Beech Grove for the most recent refurbishments, and I can't imagine that it would play well for Amtrak to have subsequently sold one of those newly refurbished cars.
All five are currently in service on the Starlight.

if all 5 are currently in service and recently refurbished why are so many people getting cccs and sightseer lounges?

What's so many?

I imagine they need 5 of them operating properly to keep them on each train. If one of them fails, they lose it on a train.

What's so many?
I imagine they need 5 of them operating properly to keep them on each train. If one of them fails, they lose it on a train.
"so many" are the many who have posted on this board about no ppc on their trip multiplied by the people who don't post on this board and have had no ppc) on the relaunched cs. as agressively as amtrak has marketed the ppc for the relaunch they have had a lot of runs without one. if they have 5 refurbished cars why is this happening?

Your attendant, to be blunt, was talking out of Alimentary School without raising his hand.
Anything to bash Bush. I've met people that when presented with clear facts about something, will still try to find the negative side of Bush on the topic. I remember this taxi ride up in Illinois... I never heard so much bunk and total outright fabrication spewed by someone. Yet I try to correct him and I'm all of a sudden a Bush fanatic. No, I'm just a fanatic for the truth buddy.

I'm not a huge Bush supporter, it amazes me how much *hate* he can generate. Hate is not a healthy thing for anybody and makes for a wondrous soup of irrationality. Be it Clinton, Bush, Gore, McCain or whoever... hate is not in our best interests.

Just my 2 cents....

What's so many?
"so many" are the many who have posted on this board about no ppc on their trip multiplied by the people who don't post on this board and have had no ppc) on the relaunched cs. as agressively as amtrak has marketed the ppc for the relaunch they have had a lot of runs without one. if they have 5 refurbished cars why is this happening?
Hasty refurbishment, leading to faulty plumbing or wiring or climate control or something dumb like that causing frequent bad-orders? No excuse for that, given how much extra time they had for the refurbishment on account of the mudslide delaying the relaunch by several months! But ... I can see this as the answer, anyhow.

That, or really, really bad luck leading to frequent bad-orders. I can see that, too.

It would be nice if there were someone as customer-service-oriented and eloquent as Gene Skoropowski handling the Coast Starlight.

It's also interesting to observe that they are running a CCC in place of the PPC when they're short a PPC. That means they've got a CCC permanently based on the west-coast, nowhere near where it would regularly run (on the Eagle and City). What's up with that? Did they make so many CCC's that they can just spare one to have it sit in LAX full-time (and not even be available in case it's needed as a backup for the Eagle or City)? Does that imply they made several more than they intend to actually use? Lots of questions here....

What's so many?
Hasty refurbishment, leading to faulty plumbing or wiring or climate control or something dumb like that causing frequent bad-orders? No excuse for that, given how much extra time they had for the refurbishment on account of the mudslide delaying the relaunch by several months! But ... I can see this as the answer, anyhow.

That, or really, really bad luck leading to frequent bad-orders. I can see that, too.

It would be nice if there were someone as customer-service-oriented and eloquent as Gene Skoropowski handling the Coast Starlight.
i have read of a man in charge of the cs named "brian" 10 or so years back. i have read that he was wonderfully customer oriented (how about that). did it cost more to run things as brian did? what happened to him? what was his record with the ppcs?

They seem to be running CCCs on the Vancouver Cascades trains. That might have something to do with it.

They seem to be running CCCs on the Vancouver Cascades trains. That might have something to do with it.
interesting. why aren't they using a talgo set? i know they were using superliner equipment to vancouver, bc but i thought that was just during a talgo refurbish. are they using a superliner set for an added run? i really like the talgo bistro car

interesting. why aren't they using a talgo set? i know they were using superliner equipment to vancouver, bc but i thought that was just during a talgo refurbish. are they using a superliner set for an added run? i really like the talgo bistro car
The Talgo refurbishments are still on going and therefore Superliner's still ply the SEA - VAC route.

I guess that someone at Amtrak decided that the CCC might be a nicer car to put on that route, especially to replace the diner that normally runs in the Talgo trainset for that route, by comparison to just a cafe car.

What's so many?

i have read of a man in charge of the cs named "brian" 10 or so years back. i have read that he was wonderfully customer oriented (how about that). did it cost more to run things as brian did? what happened to him? what was his record with the ppcs?
I seem to recall reading that he was promoted several years ago.

It's also interesting to observe that they are running a CCC in place of the PPC when they're short a PPC. That means they've got a CCC permanently based on the west-coast, nowhere near where it would regularly run (on the Eagle and City). What's up with that? Did they make so many CCC's that they can just spare one to have it sit in LAX full-time (and not even be available in case it's needed as a backup for the Eagle or City)? Does that imply they made several more than they intend to actually use? Lots of questions here....
Amtrak is being very closed mouthed about their plans for the CCC's, most likely because they know that there will be howls of protest once they do tell us what's going on. However, I can tell you that the original plan called for 10 Superliner I dining cars to be converted and IIRC 30 Sightseer Lounges to be converted.

So far BG has released 16 CCC's, the most recent on July 18th of this month. This year's plan calls for 14 cars to be converted and so far 9 have been released from BG as of May. Current plans also call for one lounge to be converted to what's currently being called the "Lounge-Diner". I don't know if they'll eventually be dubbed CCC's, or they will be given some other name. Also no clue where they might start running.

if all 5 are currently in service and recently refurbished why are so many people getting cccs and sightseer lounges?
I honestly can't answer that question, although I do believe that at least a few of the reports (like Jackal's) came before the official relaunch of the CS. So I don't think that there have been all that many sightings of no PPC on the CS, since the relaunch. It could be settling in adjustments, it could be problems with something done during the refurbishment. I don't know, but hopefully things will settle down and they'll start running normally.

I seem to recall reading that he was promoted several years ago.
Is that another way of saying "You'll never be heard from again!"? :huh:

Just to dispel the "Bush bashing rumor" that I believe came from Alice. I was on that train and heard the same speech. Kummit was the name dropped about the "6 month or else" speech about the PPC's, not Bush.

In our case, the speech was so effective that we not only bought two t-shirts, but my traveling companion bought about 3 bottles of wine to share with the passengers, and the evening ended with several passengers visibly drunk. This is NOT the sort of behavior that should be encouraged to help the bottom line.

Overall it's a great addition to the train. And if they are indeed dropping the sightseer lounge from trains like the Eagle and City, why not convert some of them into Parlour cars? It would definitely take some of the pressure off the old hi-levels which seem to be generally noisier and prone to breakdowns. With the ridership up, the coach sightseer was absolutely packed, and there was definitely a problem with people sleeping there. It has a generally trashy feel, so sleeper passengers on all trains would really benefit from a lounge of their own. I know that's not practical for all trains, but it seems like the Coast Starlight could be a model for future improvements.

On the way back we had a customer service rep on board from KFS to OKJ. He said he was a big proponent of the PPC and was explaining to passengers the trouble with the CCC swap-out. He said he was NOT a fan of the CCC.

Rob

Just to dispel the "Bush bashing rumor"
What's wrong with Bush bashing? In my case, any rumors are true. I'm an energetic Bush basher, and make no bones about it. Worst president in history, so why not bash on a regular basis, and at the drop of a hat? The clown shoulda been on the inside looking out - from behind bars - a long time ago. And that goes double for Dick Cheney. Trying to kill the pittance Amtrak receives, while waging an outrageously expensive and wrongheaded war. Need I say more?

EDIT: Main problem with Bush and Cheney is that they talk the talk, but don't walk the walk. Lip service to democracy, long as it's not applied to them. You could look it up.

Transcript of President-elect George W. Bush:

GOV. GEORGE W. BUSH (R-TX), PRESIDENT-ELECT: I told all four that there were going to be some times where we don't agree with each other. But that's OK. If this were a dictatorship, it'd be a heck of a lot easier, just so long as I'm the dictator.

He's done his best to fulfill his own wish, running roughshod over the Constitution. And he thinks it's funny:

Stalin, Hitler, Mussollini, and Franco were also really fun guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back