Pacific Parlor Car

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rode the last southbound PPC from Emeryville to Salinas and purchased two of the souvenir metal luggage tags they were offering for sale on board that day.

By the time the Dining attendant came around to us (I was with my mom and sister) she said it was full and we had to eat in the dining car.  If I had to do it all over again, I'd go back to my roomette and get our reservations there.  They were in the accessible room (room H) and I was visiting with them.  As a "consolation prize" my sister took a picture of me standing outside the PPC to commemorate the fact I was there. 
Sleeper passengers didn't need reservations to use the PPC.  You only needed reservations if you wanted to eat the "special" PPC meals.  You could sit in the half circle booth seats or swivel chairs without reservations.  You could even sit in the bench seats outside of meal times.  Not sure what happened but it sounds like you missed out based on a misunderstanding.

How dare people try to enjoy train travel in their own way!!! The nerve!
Calm down and please stop shouting.  The binary logic in this post already makes my head hurt. 

Well computer use was encouraged in the ppc car, since WiFi was advertised in the car.  Reading a book was also encouraged since there was an on board “library” so I’m not sure what the problem is? I was always able to find a seat when I rode the ppc cars. If all the purple chairs were taken I would sit elsewhere until one was available. no one can possibly sit in the chairs 24/7 unless they want to skip meals.
Most avid readers I know are only too happy to take their book or tablet somewhere peaceful and quiet to enjoy their content.  I have no idea why some people find it necessary to plop their caboose in the most congested place possible in order to pursue solo interests unrelated to anything going on around them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Trust me a lot of us are asking ourselves the same question inside the actual industry.

To give you an idea as much as they bought they probably have a storage bill of 75k plus a month for their entire fleet now. I wish they would store with us.

Here's hubby enjoying one of the swiveling purple armchairs in the PPC our first trip on the CS. He does indeed spend most of our train time reading, while I prefer to listen to my iPod and stare out the window. Both of us are relaxing, and that's what is so great about train travel.

20526092_10214012731701736_6474594215434197829_n.jpg

Back