P42 Sounds

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dan72

Lead Service Attendant
This has been an odd curiosity of mine for awhile now. Whenever I am near a P42 whether in motion or idling at a station stop, I hear a whirring noise like a turbine or a high powered fan starting up (this is in addition to the normal diesel rumblings you hear). It's very brief and seems to happen maybe once or twice while sitting in a station over the course of about five minutes. I'm curious what this is and if anybody has more detailed knowledge of the P42s could let me know. Thanks!

Dan

Sounds (sorry about the pun) as if you may be describing the air compressor kicking on every so often to keep the air reservoir tanks charged. When the loco is intially coupled to the train, and the crewmember cuts the air in after lacing the air hoses, you'll hear that sound of the air compressor kicking in while it charges the brake pipe, etc. When the system is fully charged it still has to kick in some to maintain pressure, and to replace pressure when air is released for whatever reason. That is what that is if we are on the same page here. Formerly OBS...

BTW........ I mention that in the above posting mainly because I have heard that noise similar to your description. Our wide body locos here at CSX make that noise, too. I haven't actually heard it from a P42 as I am not around them hardly ever. I just gave you an explanation based off of hearing the loco'c air compressor kicking in after I cut the air in after coupling up to freight cars. Also, I have a large "Sears Craftsman" air compressor at home, and it makes a similar whirring up sound when it starts up to recharge itself when I am using it at home. Formerly OBS....

Thanks, OBS! I wondered if it was some kind of compressor...

Dan

The sound you hear is not unique to the P-42, it's something that you can hear out of any GE. I've also personally noticed that as a train moves away from you and is accelerating there is a very distinctive noise from a GE vs a EMD.

I know the model train community has engine sounds for the new generation of model trains but is it possible to get a CD of all the P42 sounds to play at full volume on my stereo and drive my neighbors crazy?

I know the model train community has engine sounds for the new generation of model trains but is it possible to get a CD of all the P42 sounds to play at full volume on my stereo and drive my neighbors crazy?
I don't know. my best suggestion is one great word. Google. :lol: But yeah I would google it and see what you can get. Or goto a hobby shop.

Is the air compressor on the P42 located in the back of the unit behind the prime mover? Right after the SEA section of the Builder coupled to the PDX section, I watched (back access door was open) and heard this stand alone unit come to life and wondered if it dealt with air or HEP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back