overcrossing/trestle inspection rate?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You would need to upload your pictures somewhere else. Probably the easiest site to use is Imgur, http://www.imgur.com. Once you upload a photo there, it will give you the "BBCode" to cut and paste into a message here in order to have the pictures appear.

Let me be more specific.

What is the process to include photos? I see an image button but it doesn't seem to be for this purpose (asks for URL).

"My Media" doesn't work for me either.

I use forums everyday but this one is unique as far as including pictures...

Do the photos display in their original size or are they reduced in size. I have several at around 500K each.
You can click on "More Reply Options" (it's next to the Post button).

Click on the upload button, and then "attach pic to post" (or whatever it says). Then click on the "insert into post" link.

I am a bridge inspector in Minnesota, and while we don't look at railroad bridges (they are inspected by the owning railroads), I do know a little bit about steel structures. Obviously, I can't make an accurate assessment based on a few photos, but outside of needing a good paint job, I don't see anything alarming here.

Much of the rust is simple surface corrosion, which has a minimal effect on the strength of the bridge. More advanced corrosion, such as the flaking rust seen in the 3rd and 4th photos, appears to be confined mostly to the diagonal bracing across the bottom. This bracing serves to help stabilize the main girders and carry loads due to wind, but it is not a primary structural element.

The corrosion, while not serious, will continue to grow and eventually may impact the strength of the bridge. It really should be cleaned and painted before that happens.

Also, there are a few clues as to the age of the bridge. The main girders have vertical stiffeners that are welded to the girder webs and are stopped short of the bottom (tension) flange. The bracing connections are bolted, rather than riveted. From this, I would guess that this bridge was built in the mid-to-late 1960s or later. The bridge does not appear to be made from weathering steel, although it was built in an era when such steel was starting to be used.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back