Out of the woods by mid August

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My wife and I have planned the trip of a lifetime; a cross country journey by rail. The largest segment will be westbound on the Empire Builder out of Chicago, leaving around mid August. We're doing a two day stop over at the Izaak Walton Inn in Essex, before continuing west to Seattle. My wife likes the train, but I'm the railfan here [old Official Guides, model train layout, multiple visits to Horseshoe Curve, Sandpatch etc. etc.] Here's my question; Based on the mid August westbound departure from Chicago, can I expect the delays to be civilized? As in the one or two hour category. It seems over the last few days, the delays system wide have been improving. I know of the flooding issues affecting the EB, but I also know BNSF is out working on the tracks, and has been for weeks. The heat restrictions are mostly a CSX issue, since other companies reduce speed by only 10 mph, if that. I know this may be tough to predict, but I don't look forward to arriving at Izaak Walton at 2am, or Seattle at 4pm, with half the day shot. Any answers from those who are in the know or who have the EB experience, would be appreciated. Thanks.

We went on a cross country trip a year ago today, in fact, on the Empire Builder. It was awesome! And we experienced very few delays last year. We arrived at Portland within 30 minutes of our scheduled time. I can't speak for now as it may be different with the flooding. Have a great trip - you'll love it! Bring a duffle of snacks with you though - the train food is good but you will want your own snacks along the way.

Last edited:
Based on the mid August westbound departure from Chicago, can I expect the delays to be civilized?
No one knows. Remember that this is the worst year ever for weather-related delays in North Dakota. Seriously, North Dakota set all-time records for snowfall this year, and Minot's flood was the highest ever in recorded history. Who knows what will happen next?

I'd say that you shouldn't have any serious delays, and am scheduled to ride the Empire Builder at Labor Day myself. But really, you'll have to pay your money and take your chance.

The BNSF is expected to continue working hard to repair damaged track throughout North Dakota for some time into the near future. The amount of slow orders currently is keeping everything moving slow resulting in a lot of congestion.

Honestly, I don't foresee it getting much better very fast.

The BNSF is expected to continue working hard to repair damaged track throughout North Dakota for some time into the near future. The amount of slow orders currently is keeping everything moving slow resulting in a lot of congestion.

Honestly, I don't foresee it getting much better very fast.
Thanks for filling in. I may call the resort and car rental to let them know we may be in late at night.. (not sure how late Budget rental at the WFH station stays open?)

wonder what the chances are amtrak will resort to a bus bridge like they did after the coyote mtn slide in oregon a few years ago (klamath falls to pasco by bus for those cs people connecting to the eb) for passengers with connections out of chicago? i heard amtrak got tired of paying for hotel and meals in pdx for those connecting to 28 so instituted the bus bridge

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back