Our first winter rail trip Rochester to Santa Fe

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

berkyo

Service Attendant
Husband and I left our northern Pa home around 8 pm to drive north to Rochester NY - Our local Amtrak Station on Monday, Feb 10. We were off the visit daughters in warm and sunny Santa Fe. We had planned this trip for March but the winter has been so snowy and cold that we remembered we were retired and upped the departure date.

The drive was uneventful and we go there earlier than the 10:45 time to check luggage. We knew that the Boston leg of the Lake Shore Limited was late but we did not want to drag the 2 large bags around with us. When we arrived to an empty waiting room we knew the train would be very late. 2 hours behind they told us , but the email to inform us of this was sent after we left home and not begin smart phone people we did not get the message. Why the delay? Technical problems. The agent also told us that at the ROC station, the 45 minutes prior to departure rule for checked baggage is not necessary - especially when the trains are late.

We made our selves comfortable and around 2am the the 11pm train arrived. Nice quiet car for our coach part of the trip. We told the conductor we would switch to a roomette at Toledo and explained that we were using our AGR points for a full zone from Toledo to Lamy. Around 7 we woke up and heard the call for breakfast. But since we were 3 hours behind, we weren't to Toledo yet. Usually get there around 5:45. We switch then to take advantage of the complimentary breakfast for sleeper passengers and we get to use the Metro lounge in Chicago too. We asked the dining car if we could get breakfast and they were very nice and said sure. Also, bring your stuff and we will put you in your room too. Very Accommodating. As all the Amtrak personnel were on this trip.

Going from car to car for breakfast, we could see the problem for the delay. Even though it was not snowing then, the snow on the ground gets whipped up by the speed of the train and sifts into the connector sections. The wheels and gears and thingees in there were covered with 3 inches of ice and snow and there was only a section of the connector where we could walk without getting snowy feet. It looked like something form an artic disaster film. One of the attendants explained that's why they had trouble leaving Boston and then switching cars in Albany. Everything was frozen and not wanting to work.

We arrived at Chicago a little after 2pm and just had time to check our email when they called for Sleeper boarding. We missed our 5 hour break in Chicago and were right onto the next train. Lunch was provided on the LSL so we did not miss that. Also, as we came into the metro lounge, they told us the Southwest Chief would be leaving an hour and a half late and then 10 minutes later said oops,sorry, All aboard! I wondered if anyone had left the station thinking they had plenty of time for a walk.

We arrived in Lamy around 3:15 or so about 45 minutes late. Some kind of electrical problems all along the way where we would slow down and stop and sit there for 10 minutes with the train shut down and then start up again with apologies from the intercom. The ride was smooth and comfortable as usual and the food good. I should have had the cream puff for all deserts! mmmmmm We had one complaint near the end of the journey. The air intake all of sudden began pouring out ice cold air. and there was no way to escape it. Complaints to the car attendant and conductor did not help, they both went downstairs and flipped a few switches to no avail. But then after a cold hour it went back to normal air. Part of the electrical problems, we guessed.

Ok, Two complaints. On the SWC, the first afternoon and evening out we had a really bad stink of - I guess diesel? It was when the connector doors would open and close. The next day, there was non. Not pleasant and I am sure not healthy.

At Lamy, we had to remind the departing train that our luggage was still on there. Two other passengers were also chasing the train down the track. The station attendant stopped them with a radio call. All the luggage at Chicago had been put into the LA pile and so they did not look at the tags. We got ours and one other guy got his but a young couple could not find their tent bag. So they would have to find come back tomorrow and get it off the eastbound rain.

The other two passengers who got off at Lamy were stranded there. They said the Amtrak site says the train goes to Santa Feto Santa Fe - but Lamy is about 25 miles south of the city with no transportation. There is a shuttle but you have to make arrangements for them to pick you up and then pay for it . We were able to get the young couple and us in our daughters car and the station agent said she would drive the other guy up when she closes for the day.

So enjoy all your long distance trips but go right to the baggage car when you get off at smaller stations and make sure the station is where you think it is. And be prepared for delays in winter.

:hi: Sounds like a Nice Trip considering the Weather conditions! Hopefully ya'll will let Amtrak know about the Very Helpful Employees, they mostly just get Complaints @ Customer Relations! have a ball in the Mountains and a Great Trip Home!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Enjoyed your trip report. As semi-regular passengers on the LSL, we can identify with its late arrivals. And the snowy situation this winter. :( . It was good they served you some lunch before Chicago arrival. And the luggage situation was pretty scarey. We try to carry on luggage and avoid checking when we can but first I had heard of the luggage not being taken off at its proper destination. :eek:

JM Hudson, how do i let Amtrak know about the good service on board?

And Railroad Bill , It was scary! LOL. This is the first time it has happened. I was not even aware of it until I saw the train moving and the empty luggage cart coming back. When called to the station agent that we did not get our bags and another passenger start running to her. she pulled her phone out ans stopped the train. It was a busy day at Chicago with many cancellations across the south and lots of confusion in the terminal. This doe snot excuse them but I Guess people make mistakes. I will keep my eye on them next trip.

Oh, And i missed the flowers in the dining car. We did get a paper when we stopped at Pueblo Colorado. I like the newspaper as we do not get one at home.

And loving this NM sunshine!!!

:hi: Glad ya'll are enjoying the NM Mountains! I'm envious! When you get Home call Amtrtak @ 1800-USA-RAIL, tell "Julie" you want an Agent when she does her Spiel! When a Real Amtrak Agent Answers ask to be Transferred to Customer Relations and then you can let the CR Agent know the Good, the Bad and the Ugly about your Trip! They do follow through with Notifications to Amtrak Management ,so it's not just a Boiler Plate Answer like an e-mail or Snail Mail would receive!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back