Our first train trip - short but sweet - a few questions for the pros

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello - My 10 yr old son and I will be going on our first train trip from Tampa to Miami at the end of the month. I booked a bedroom (not that we need to sleep, but wanted our first experience to be comfortable). I would appreciate very much the answers to a couple of questions...

- I have read that this particular route is always late. Is there an "average" time it's late or does it vary greatly? Would it be more than 3 hours late?

- I understand sleeper passengers get meals included. I was assuming (silly me) that the food would be available at any time. Since this is not the case and our train trip doesn't allow for a whole lot of time during the dining car's open hours, when exactly do we eat? To Miami we board at 12:45p and arrive at 6:05p. From Miami we board at 11:50a and arrive at 5:05p.

- Is there a limit to what you can order in the dining car? For example, does my son have to order from a kids menu because he is 10? (For a little guy, he has a big appetite!)

- Are there rental cars available at the Miami station or do we take a cab to our hotel (Coral Gables) and get one from there? I understand the cab ride to the hotel will be approx $30. Would prefer to have one at the station but who knows what time to put down as the arrival time if the train is always late.

- In the bedroom, can the "sofa" be made into a bed at the beginning of our trip or is this only done at night (when we won't be traveling?). I have a very bad back and it helps to lay down a few minutes at a time.

- Do cell phones work on the train? I've read there is no wifi for computers.

- Will a backpack or the carry on we use on plane trips be fine to bring as a carry on? It doesn't look like there is much room for storage in that little space.

I know there are alot of questions here - thank you in advance for not rolling out of your chairs from laughter. I really have no idea what to expect. :blink:

Cheers!

- I have read that this particular route is always late. Is there an "average" time it's late or does it vary greatly? Would it be more than 3 hours late?
Here is the official AMTRAK DELAY HISTORY INFORMATION

- I understand sleeper passengers get meals included. I was assuming (silly me) that the food would be available at any time. Since this is not the case and our train trip doesn't allow for a whole lot of time during the dining car's open hours, when exactly do we eat? To Miami we board at 12:45p and arrive at 6:05p. From Miami we board at 11:50a and arrive at 5:05p.
Not sure about Dinner, but certainly Lunch will be available. Your sleeper crew should get you there on time. (that is, of course, dependent of train status, as the diner conforms to their own schedule and not the actual train schedule. If the train is late, they might have already served.) I do not know if dinner is even available before Miami, but certainly northbound, maybe, depending on serving hours and status of the train (ontime, likely no -- late, maybe)

- Is there a limit to what you can order in the dining car? For example, does my son have to order from a kids menu because he is 10? (For a little guy, he has a big appetite!)
One Meal. And One Ping Only.

- Are there rental cars available at the Miami station or do we take a cab to our hotel (Coral Gables) and get one from there? I understand the cab ride to the hotel will be approx $30. Would prefer to have one at the station but who knows what time to put down as the arrival time if the train is always late.
Hertz has pickup / drop off service if arranged in advance. on Hertz.com, they list the number as Phone : 305-636-9695

- In the bedroom, can the "sofa" be made into a bed at the beginning of our trip or is this only done at night (when we won't be traveling?). I have a very bad back and it helps to lay down a few minutes at a time.
Ask the onboard crew. I might suggest lower the upper bunk and leaving the couch in the day configuration. That means more room lower (but do not bump your head).

No WIFI. Depends on your carrier.

- Will a backpack or the carry on we use on plane trips be fine to bring as a carry on? It doesn't look like there is much room for storage in that little space.
Most people I see "carry on" all their luggage, rather than checking it. No need to limit, just haul it on. The bedroom is large enough to set a bigger bag to the side.

Have Fun.

You should get lunch and dinner going down and likely just lunch going up (I think that the first dinner seating is at 5 or 5:30, so you'll miss out)
They can, although you can lay down on the couch just as easily. Or you can put the upper bunk down, lay on that and leave the lower area wide open for your son.
You should have cell service for most of the journey, depending on your provider.
A backpack or more will be just fine, there will be plenty of space for the two of you in a bedroom. My wife and I routinely have two backpacks and a medium/small suitcase in the bedroom with us without any issues.

Thank you all so much for such quick and helpful replies! We are very excited about this trip. Mother/son bonding while dad has to work. We normally drive or fly, but heck, life is short - who knows - we may fall in love with train travel.

Oh, I'm curious - if we were all three traveling, would we really have to purchase TWO roomettes or bedrooms? When I booked online it said that only 2 ppl can book a sleeper. That can get really, really, expensive, no? There are no bigger rooms on that particular route - or up to Savannah either (I was checking that for future travel).

Oh, I'm curious - if we were all three traveling, would we really have to purchase TWO roomettes or bedrooms? When I booked online it said that only 2 ppl can book a sleeper. That can get really, really, expensive, no? There are no bigger rooms on that particular route - or up to Savannah either (I was checking that for future travel).
You might get away with three in a bedroom, but certainly not in a roomette.

On the Superliners, the Family Bedroom is an option.

Thank you all so much for such quick and helpful replies! We are very excited about this trip. Mother/son bonding while dad has to work. We normally drive or fly, but heck, life is short - who knows - we may fall in love with train travel.
Oh, I'm curious - if we were all three traveling, would we really have to purchase TWO roomettes or bedrooms? When I booked online it said that only 2 people can book a sleeper. That can get really, really, expensive, no? There are no bigger rooms on that particular route - or up to Savannah either (I was checking that for future travel).
They may allow it in a bedroom, but it will be based on the size of the individuals. If your son is very small, & you & spouse are small, they may say yes. They will explain that it will be small for three, & probably try to talk you out of it. After you have ridden in the bedroom with just the two of you, you can decide then. You would have to call Amtrak to book three in a bedroom. It cannot be done online. A roomette would be far too small for three unless two are small children-say no older than 5-6 years old. Enjoy your trip! Don't forget to sign you both up for Amtrak Guest Rewards, & call & apply your # to your tickets!

Last time I priced inter-state fares for sleeping accommodations in the state of Florida they were very reasonable. If you feel the need for a second room investigate the price for a roomette. My grand-daughter enjoys her own room occasionally and in certain markets, such as yours, it is economically feasible. As for feeding the little munchin, the lounge car usually opens just all the tix have been lifted by the conductor leaving Miami. Your 5:05 arrival time is a sticky one; if you're late, which doesn't usually happen often northbound so soon into the trip, you will luck out with a 5 o'clock res. Make the res; it doesn't cost anything and who knows? You might wind up in a siding within view of town but enjoying a good meal; otherwise a hot dog or pizza will usually satisfy most 10 years old. Here's hoping for a great trip and hope that the 10 year old becomes a regular on Amtrak. :)

I have taken the Silver Meteor from Orlando to Hollywood several times. I assume that you are taking the Silver Star, but much of the route is the same. I usually get cell coverage for most of the trip. There may be some spots between Sebring and WPB where the coverage is spotty. The last time I made this trip, my father was gravely ill and I was on my way home from visiting and I think all of my family members phoned me while I was on the train and I do not recall losing any calls.

My guess is that you will not be getting dinner on the way down, however, if the train is running late enough going northbound, you might get dinner.

I have traveled in roomettes for the short trip and the price was reasonable. However, one time, the bedroom price was less than the roomette price and I got a bedroom, which was much more comfortable. Every time I boarded in Orlando, my sleeper assignment was one where someone had just vacated and never was it ready for me. The attendant had me leave my luggage in the room and immediately go to lunch in the diner. By the time I got back from lunch, my room was ready. You might encounter the same situation.

I have seen many people taking short trips have the beds made. I cannot imagine that would be a problem.

There is more storage in a bedroom than in a roomette, but even in a roomette, there is room for a suitcase.

Have a great trip.

Had I known that people who travel by train were so nice and helpful, I would have switched from air to train in no time! The only thing I hear from people who fly "nowadays" is complaint after complaint. Thank you so much for all your help and suggestions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back