Our first LD Train Trip EVER

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

emmy

Train Attendant
Well it all started at about 5:15 A M on Friday April 15th when my husband's partner picked us up to take us to Philadelphia 30th Street Station.When we were walking across the station I couldn't help but feel there was something wrong then all of a sudden it hit me and I looked at Al and said "I don't have my purse"and Al replied "WHAT"!Now in my purse was my passport and drivers license,money,credit cards,and my cellphone.

By this time it was a little past 6 A.M. and our train is due to leave a little after 8A.M.A quick call to Al's partner he does'nt answer his cellphone,so Al says you stay here and I will see if a cabbie thinks he can make it back to our house and back to the station in time to make our train.We live in N.J.which meant going back over the bridge and doing the same comming back in the height of traffac both ways.Well he got home only to find my purse isn't there.he calls me then remembers I have no cell phone,it's in my purse.He kept trying to get Ronnie on the phone to no avail he's not answering his cell or the shop so Al has the cabbie take him down to the shop( a lot of times Ron does'nt pick up the phone at work if it is before they open)Al tries him a home and he finally answers the phone he says look in your car and see if Emmys purse is in it sure enough he found it on the backseat.Al gives Ron instructions where to meet grabs the purse say thanks see you later and he and the cabbie goes for another joy ride across the bridge back to 30th street station.The Red Cap spotted him first and said to me I think this is your husband coming now and sure enough here comes my soon to be 85 year old sweetheart running thru the station carrying my bright red purse in both hands and all I could think is BLess his heart I hope he doesn't have heart attack or that security doesn't try to tackle him because they think he stole some ladies purse.

Well neither happened and the Red Cap who had all ready taken care of our checked luggage took us up to the Accella lounge where Al had just enough time to drink a pepsi before the Red Cap came back to put us on the Cardinal.Our Sleeper Attendant J.Wright put our luggage

on board and took good care of us while we were on the Cardinal.We had a Roomette.I always wondered what it would be like to sleep in an upper bunk so even though I am clostrophobic and afraid of heights I thought that I may be able to do it since it had picture windows at the upper bunk as well as the lower bunk what I hadn't counted on was having short legs there was no way in h--- my legs were going to make it onto the toilet seat,then the ledge to hold the sink to the top bunk without splitting me in two although after the purse episode I could hear Al thinking go ahead try it(only kidding).

Al had his GPS with us and he clocked the Cardinal doing 109-110 mph between Baltimore and Washington but after we left Washington the tracks going through Virginia and West Virginia were really bad in a lot of places and the train was lucky to do 53mph.But the scenery was pretty.That night though I swore the tracks jumped a foot and my backbone became a permenant part of the tracks.When the train got to Indianoplis it couldn't be smoother all the way into Chicago Union Station where we waited in the lounge for our second leg of our journey on the California Zepher.Hope I havn't bored you up to this point.

To be Continued in a couple of days. emmy

Wow, what an interesting start to the trip! :eek: Racing around the Philly area during rush hour chasing down your purse must have been quite the event.

But otherwise I'm glad to hear that things are going well and looking forward to the next installment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back