Ottumwa, Iowa

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CNW

Service Attendant
I recently asked some questions about the Galesburg station and received some good information. I am now asking the same about Ottumwa, Iowa. Is there long term free parking at the station? I do know there is an AmericInn only a block or two away...Thank you.

And, it looks as if there is a large parking lot od some kind NE of the station. Might have to pay, but perhaps worth checking out.

Station.jpg

And, it looks as if there is a large parking lot od some kind NE of the station. Might have to pay, but perhaps worth checking out.
Don't have to pay to use that parking lot.

Yes there is! I used the long term last year at the end of March for 8 days. It is on the northwest end of the building, a gravel lot. There is a concrete pad that runs parallel to the tracks, I was lucky enough to be able to get a spot on that. Here is a link to a photo of the station..

<iframe src="https://www.google.com/maps/embed?pb=!1m14!1m12!1m3!1d756.494955863946!2d-92.41504173160364!3d41.01866649544303!2m3!1f0!2f0!3f0!3m2!1i1024!2i768!4f13.1!5e1!3m2!1sen!2sus!4v1393258382776" width="400" height="300" frameborder="0" style="border:0"></iframe>

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, I left my car there for 10 days here the end of January. The long term spaces are on the other side of the station from the drop off side. Just ask the agent inside if you are not sure, they will show you how to get there. Also if your train is late the hotel ottumwa is a block and a half from the station if your train is late you can get something to eat.

Thanks everybody. Think OTM will be my new departing station....

Nobody pays for parking in Iowa. "Is this heaven?" "No, It's Iowa." OTM is the home of Radar O'Reilly,,, and an example of what fine small town life is all about.

Nobody pays for parking in Iowa.
Tell my college that, where I paid for a parking pass each semester. (I've also had to pay for parking in Sioux City before, and there's lots of paid parking in the Des Moines area.)
Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:
Also recommended: Canteen Lunch, the restaurant on 2nd between Court and Market. It's supposed to serve a great loose meat sandwich (if you're in to such things). That's only a couple blocks from the station.

Nobody pays for parking in Iowa. "Is this heaven?" "No, It's Iowa." OTM is the home of Radar O'Reilly,,, and an example of what fine small town life is all about.
I was already planning the Amtrak trip, but it made it that much better of a deal. For anyone in this rural area, it ads over $100 dollars a week of value to Amtrak, Vs. parking at Des Moines airport.

I guess I remember paid parking when I worked at the State Library in Death Moines,,, and maybe Cedar Rapids,,, at that fancy hotel,,,, but I lived in Sioux City for a while and can't think of anywhere there was paid parking,,,, but then again that was almost thirty years ago. But it is still heaven,

Safe to say there's no paid parking at any of the Amtrak stations in Iowa.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back