Other American Trains

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

caravanman

Engineer
I enjoy the long distance aspect of the Amtrak service, but as a tourist, I would also enjoy using other local train services over say, bus travel.

Do any of you have any info/names of alternative train systems anywhere in USA? (I am not looking for "touristy specials", just regular train routes..is there any online directory of non Amtrak services?)

Many thanks,

Ed B)

If I am understanding your question correctly, there is none, except for the Alaska Railroad in the state of Alaska.

There are "land cruises", like the American Orient Epxress, various dinner trains, steam engine excursions, trains up Pike's peak, etc but all of those I think are what you would call "touristy".

As for commercial, regularly scheduled, more or less daily trains, ridden by the public at large, not some special interest group like a tour, that would only be Amtrak.

A few really long commuter lines, like from New York City to Montauk or whatever the last stop is eastbound on Long Island, might be of interest.

And don't forget Via Rail, the Canadian version of Amtrak.

caravan man---you will find that many on this board are very well versed on commuter operations---far more than I. There are some true experts here on the subject.

But in the meantime, here is one suggestion- from me --check out the second page of this board, where it lists the different discussions. You will find the second one down is commuter rail. Checking that out that might give you some ideas.

Back