OT: NY info

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rile42

Lead Service Attendant
Sorry I know this if off-topic but I know many posters here really know their way around NYC.

I will be landing at LaGuardia and need to get to 42nd and W. 35th St. What, short of a cab, would be the best transportation to use? I'd really like to stick to subways or commuter trains if possible.

Also, is there a safe subway that I could use to travel from that location to Yankee Stadium?

Rile42,

From LGA, it's not possible to use only trains to reach Manhattan. If you don't want to take a cab, you must take a bus to the subway. That will cost you 2 bucks, just ask for a transfer on the bus to the subway as it's free.

You can either catch the Q33 bus and ride it to the 74th Street/Roosevelt Avenue terminal or you can catch the Q48 bus and ride it to Flushing. I would suggest the first option, as the bus ride is shorter and you have more subway options at 74th Street.

Assuming that you go that way, at 74th Street go downstairs and catch the E express train to 34th St/Penn Station which will put you on the west side right near where you want to be.

Now to reach Yankee stadium from that area you've got a few more choices, especially depending on just where you're hotel is located on West 35th Street. If you're close to 6th Avenue, then walk over to 6th Ave and 34th St and catch either a B or D train. The D train is preferable, since it run express from 59th St to 125th St.

Please note however, that if you are going between the hours of 3:30 & 8:00 pm Monday thru Friday, the D train runs express in the Bronx and will not stop at 161st Street/Yankee Stadium. So you would either have to take the B train all the way or switch at 125th Street from the D to the B

If you are closer to 8th Ave, then catch an A express train at 34th St/Penn Station uptown. Get off at 135th Street and switch to either the B or D train. Again note the above caution about rush hour D running express through the Bronx, while the B is local at all times. Again get off at 161st Street/Yankee Stadium.

You can find subway and bus maps here to help in your planning.

What ever you do while in NYC do not photograph the newyork subway or the long island railroad even from public property.The police will detain you and try to take your camera away from you or delete all RR photos.They are enforcing a new anti terrorism rule which forbids photography of trains,stations,yards.towers,or any railroad equipment from any location.When i went through NYC on amtrak last month i made sure my camera was out of sight.I have heard of railfans getting in big trouble for using their cameras photographing railroad equipment or stations away from RR property.Of course there are ipods and cell phones that you can use for pictures but i dont reccomend it.

What ever you do while in NYC do not photograph the newyork subway or the long island railroad even from public property.The police will detain you and try to take your camera away from you or delete all RR photos.They are enforcing a new anti terrorism rule which forbids photography of trains,stations,yards.towers,or any railroad equipment from any location.When i went through NYC on amtrak last month i made sure my camera was out of sight.I have heard of railfans getting in big trouble for using their cameras photographing railroad equipment or stations away from RR property.Of course there are ipods and cell phones that you can use for pictures but i dont reccomend it.
Interesting - I was in NYC last Feb and took many photos in Penn Station, one, even, of the Amtrak police office with an officer watching me do it. I also took several down on the platform as I boarded the train. No one ever said a word. Was I lucky?

railfangns said:
Too my knowledge that rule has not yet been passed. :)

However, there have been a few overzealous police who seem to think that it has been passed. :eek:

yes you were lucky.Actually some cops are pretty lienant about photography and some are going by the book.The long island railroad and the new jersey transit is the most strict about the no photography from any location rule.The NY subway was strict but i read they have eased off on photography of the trains and stations.Buy a copy of the August 2005 railfan and railroad magazine and read the article on page 63-64.if you want to photograph any NJT trains,stations equipment or towers you will be required to get a permit and notify them 24 hours in advance of where you will be taking pictures.According to the article you will not be allowed to use flash of any type or tripods.You wont be able to get out on a beautiful day to railfan and photograph without risking getting busted by the cops.

I know that Bloomberg himself shot down the law outlawing people to take pictures and videos of the Subways. I did a lot of video of them back in November, not a peep was said to me. It's part of New York life for tourists and railfans alike to want to capture the Subways, since they are truly New York. In my mind it's also BS for NJT to try to say no pictures allowed, how the heck is a mother of a three year old supposed to know she can't take a picture of the train as it comes into the station. I personally don't think NJT is picture worthy (ahem scumbags) but that's just me. But even if I had the urge to go out and take pictures on my own free will I would, it's a free country, homeland security or not. Until someone can show me documentation that a white male on public property taking pictures of NJT poses a real threat to our nation's security I'll keep hitting that shutter button.

railfangns said:
yes you were lucky.Actually some cops are pretty lienant about photography and some are going by the book.The long island railroad and the new jersey transit is the most strict about the no photography from any location rule.The NY subway was strict but i read they have eased off on photography of the trains and stations.Buy a copy of the August 2005 railfan and railroad magazine and read the article on page 63-64.if you want to photograph any NJT trains,stations equipment or towers you will be required to get a permit and notify them 24 hours in advance of where you will be taking pictures.According to the article you will not be allowed to use flash of any type or tripods.You wont be able to get out on a beautiful day to railfan and photograph without risking getting busted by the cops.
I do agree with you that one must be very careful on NJT (New Jersey Transit), although it is rather easy to get a pass to take photos from NJT on their property. One can always take pictures of NJT trains, if one is standing on private property. The ban only applies to those actually on NJT property.

As for NY and the LIRR, I repeat, there is no ban on photography. I quote from a May 22nd NY Daily news article:

The New York Daily News reports today that the ban is dead. "``We are not pressing for a ban,'' NYPD Deputy Commissioner Paul Browne told The News." ``"In the wake of the public comments period, after consulting with the NYPD, which had originally requested the rule change, MTA NYC Transit will not go forward with the institution of a photo ban," TA spokesman Charles Seaton said."
Therefore any cop enforcing such a rule, is in violating your civil rights. There is a video taping ban to my knowledge and certainly any suspicous activity could cause questions. But one can take pictures of NY trains!

Therefore any cop enforcing such a rule, is in violating your civil rights. There is a video taping ban to my knowledge and certainly any suspicous activity could cause questions. But one can take pictures of NY trains!
There is no ban on video taping in the subways.

I had my swiss army knife with its 2 " blade confiscated when I went to view the statue of liberty...not sure what they imagined I might do with it...but we could take pictures there! :D

Here is a link to a pdf file that is free to download about photography rights. I carry a copy in my camera bag.
The Photographers Rights
Aloha

Yesterday I was learning to use my new video-cam down by the Harbor when a Security guard tried to stop me from filming from a public place, the ship "Pride of America". Showed him My copy of the "rights". Got an immediate " Sorry Sir", and away he went.

railfangns said:
I do agree with you that one must be very careful on NJT (New Jersey Transit), although it is rather easy to get a pass to take photos from NJT on their property. One can always take pictures of NJT trains, if one is standing on private property. The ban only applies to those actually on NJT property.

As for NY and the LIRR, I repeat, there is no ban on photography. I quote from a May 22nd NY Daily news article:

The New York Daily News reports today that the ban is dead. "``We are not pressing for a ban,'' NYPD Deputy Commissioner Paul Browne told The News." ``"In the wake of the public comments period, after consulting with the NYPD, which had originally requested the rule change, MTA NYC Transit will not go forward with the institution of a photo ban," TA spokesman Charles Seaton said."
Well, I'm from New York and I'll tell y'all a couple of things based on my experiences. It's not as bad taking pics on NJT property as it is on MTA property. If you stay at a certain station for awhile(like Newark or Secaucus), you will eventually get approached by a cop or two, but based from my experiences, the cops were really nice. All they asked me for was my ID and they also wanted to look at the pictures I've taken. After that, they just told me to be careful and they just left. MTA on the other hand is different, whether it's the LIRR, Metro-North or NYC Subways. Most NYPD officers don't know that it is PERFECTLY LEGAL to take photos of trains. If you don't have proof that taking photos is legal, my advice to you is to just go with the flow, do what the officers tell you, whether if it's to leave or to stop taking photos. There'll always be another day to return to the same spot to snap more pics if you wish. HOWEVER, if the cops tell you to delete the photos, DON'T DO IT. This doesn't happen often, but I've heard stories about people having to delete their photos after being confronted by the police. Don't do it, the pictures are part of YOUR property and the police have no right to tell you to delete them. But I believe the police won't tell you to do such a thing, if you ever get approached by one on MTA property, but keep that in mind.

I also have a couple of phone numbers you can call so you can receive a memo to show to police just in case you get confronted by them. But, I won't mention it since I don't think it'll be appropriate to give them out in this forum so I'll just wait until I get the green light to do so, that's IF it's okay to fo so. ;) Otherwise, if you want the phone numbers, just let me know in this thread and I'll give it to ya via e-mail.

Oh and by the way, YOU DO NOT need a permit or pass to take photos of NJ Transit trains. NJ Transit has lifted that rule to have a pass or permit to take pictures about a year or so ago. Once again, YOU DO NOT need anything to take pics. Just go out and snap some pics. You'll prrbably get approached by police, but it ain't bad. Most of them are really nice and most of them know it's perfectly legal to take photos on NJ Transit property.

If your planning to visit the busy stations in Manhattan like Times Square or Grand Central, it is HIGHLY UNLIKELY, that the police will question you, since they are busy tourist attractions.

Most of the time the police will NOT detain you, or try to take your camera away. They might want to check it out for anything suspicious but they'll give it right back. Trust me, I'm not trying to get anyone into trouble. I take photos of the subways all the time, even while the police is looking directly at me, but I don't recommend it since I am experienced in typical situations like that.

Sorry I know this if off-topic but I know many posters here really know their way around NYC.I will be landing at LaGuardia and need to get to 42nd and W. 35th St. What, short of a cab, would be the best transportation to use? I'd really like to stick to subways or commuter trains if possible.

Also, is there a safe subway that I could use to travel from that location to Yankee Stadium?
There is no intersection of 42nd & West 35 Street. Manhattan only has twelve avenues. Was this a typo? Did you mean West 42 Street and Fifth Avenue?

Sorry I know this if off-topic but I know many posters here really know their way around NYC.I will be landing at LaGuardia and need to get to 42nd and W. 35th St. What, short of a cab, would be the best transportation to use? I'd really like to stick to subways or commuter trains if possible.

Especially in the day time, all subways are safe in New York.

As someone else has mentioned, there is no 42nd and W35th Street. To get to W35th St, take a NY Express bus to Penn Station (at 34th Street). To reach W42nd, take a NY Express bus to the Port Authority (this bus also stops at Grand Central on E42nd Street). If you really wanted to use public transport to get to West midtown, take city bus m125 from laguardia to the 1 stop at 116 street st and take it down. This will take a lot longer.

I also recommend the website hopstop.com. It's not perfect (like the Washington Metro site, of TFl's site in London are) but it's pretty good.

While I'm suspect that the original poster might be happy with the extra comments, let me point out that this topic is over a year and a half old at this point.

GG-1 only revived it to point out that the Photographer's Bill of Rights helped him out in a recent incident.

But I strongly suspect that Rile42 no longer needs travel advice for his long past trip. :)

While I'm suspect that the original poster might be happy with the extra comments, let me point out that this topic is over a year and a half old at this point.
GG-1 only revived it to point out that the Photographer's Bill of Rights helped him out in a recent incident.

But I strongly suspect that Rile42 no longer needs travel advice for his long past trip. :)
:p

Aloha Alan

you are exactly correct. When I got home that night I did a search for Photographer's Bill of Rights and added the comment to that thread, guess I should have started a new thread.

When I saw all the other comments I wondered how I should have written my comments.

Mahalo for stearing this in the right direction.

And just to set the record straight, it's the m60, not the m125. No idea where I came up with that one.

And just to set the record straight, it's the m60, not the m125. No idea where I came up with that one.
I saw that mistake back when you posted it, but saw no reason to mention it. I'm sure you came up with it because of the fact that many of the MTA buses in Manhattan are named after the Street/Avenue that they run on. The M60 does indeed run across 125th Street, so the confusion is understandable.

Interesting topic.

In my long trip last january I have no problem in taking pictures with my camera in Chicago, Seattle, St Paul, Albany, Schenectady etc.

It is very sad that we are facing this situation.

30 years ago I was told not to take any photo from a hotel floor in Seoul Korea or in airport. I was amazed that they go such extent. Now we are facing the same situation in US.

My Travel Blog

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back