Orlando or Kissimmee station?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

iowa train fan

Train Attendant
Would you get off at Orlando or Kissimmee station if traveling to Disney World? I have always gotton of at Orlando station on past trips but have not made the trip in 20 plus years. Not sure why I never went through to Kissimmee. Is there any reason you would not do the Kissimmee station? Thank you

Either station is about about the same cab fare to Disney. Let's not dwell on which station is "best" until we get some other details.

Are you planning on going from the station straight to Disneyworld? What part of Disneyworld? Magic Kingdom? Epcot? etc...

Where (abouts) will you be staying? Hwy 192, Onsite, non-Disney onsite?

Will you have a rental car? Orlando can fix you up with one.

Will you rely on the local bus (Lynx) system? 1:15 from KIS with one transfer; 1:30 from ORL with one transfer; 1:40 from WPK with one transfer

What is the cost difference travelling to KIS vs ORL? Would you consider WPK if the bus connections are better?

Last edited by a moderator:
Either station is about about the same cab fare to Disney. Let's not dwell on which station is "best" until we get some other details.

Are you planning on going from the station straight to Disneyworld? What part of Disneyworld? Magic Kingdom? Epcot? etc...

Where (abouts) will you be staying? Hwy 192, Onsite, non-Disney onsite?

Will you have a rental car? Orlando can fix you up with one.

Will you rely on the local bus (Lynx) system? 1:15 from KIS with one transfer; 1:30 from ORL with one transfer; 1:40 from WPK with one transfer

What is the cost difference travelling to KIS vs ORL? Would you consider WPK if the bus connections are better?
I thought the Kissimmee station is myuch closer to Disneyworld but I have not researched anything at this point. We will be staying on-sight at The Boardwalk Villa's, will not have a car and really do not plan on leaving Disney. We would probably use car service from station to the resort. I know flying is a much better deal but I HATE flying anymore. Thank you for your in put. Don

Most people get off in Orlando, however a good many get off in Kissimmee. The Orlando station is a much nicer station. I know that there are many cabs waiting at the ORL station as are van from Florida Van Service that transport passengers to the tourist areas.

I do not recall how many (if any) vans, cabs there were in KIS, the one time I traveled there by train. I do know that there was an extremely large number of tourists (families with children carrying Disney shopping bags and stuffed animals) boarding 98 in KIS.

As the crow flies, Disney might be closer to the KIS station, but, depending on traffic, it might take the same amount of time to get there from ORL. As an Orlando resident, I rarely go to Disney. :lol:

A couple things to think about:

1) Orlando will get you to Disney faster. The trip is about the same; however, to get to KIS you ride another 35 mins on the train. 2) the trains arrive in the middle of the day, so traffic on I4 should not be an issue. 3) some people like to arrive in Orlando & leave from KIS. Often KIS doesn't have as many people boarding; so it can be an easier process getting on & getting seated.

Let me know if you have any other questions about the area.

Most people get off in Orlando, however a good many get off in Kissimmee. The Orlando station is a much nicer station. I know that there are many cabs waiting at the ORL station as are van from Florida Van Service that transport passengers to the tourist areas.

I do not recall how many (if any) vans, cabs there were in KIS, the one time I traveled there by train. I do know that there was an extremely large number of tourists (families with children carrying Disney shopping bags and stuffed animals) boarding 98 in KIS.

As the crow flies, Disney might be closer to the KIS station, but, depending on traffic, it might take the same amount of time to get there from ORL. As an Orlando resident, I rarely go to Disney. :lol:
I haven't been to Disney World since 1998. :p :D

Thank you for all the advice, sounds like a toss up on which station. Can I ask one more question please, if a family of four is travelling, is it possible since we will be booking 11 months out or so, to only purchase two tickets which would include two roomettes. And when time gets closer to June of next year, add the other two people to the reservation and having one in each roomette? It would save us about 400.00 total up front and could hang on to that money until closer to the trip. Thank you again to all for your responses.

I don't think that will be a problem at all. In fact, I can't think of a negative because the rail portion of the trip will automatically be lowest, and you will have already secured the roomette at its current cost. UNLESS - and this is where someone with more experience can weigh in - you risk the possiblity of changing the rate of the room when you add a person (which I don't think is going to happen).

Note: Taxi from KIS will be around $40, and from ORL around $55. Additional passenger fees may apply.

I have made the trip several times and have always used the Orlando station. I also take the Lynx bus to Disney, since this is under $2 versus a taxi fare. But then again.. I love public Transit, which is why I like Amtrak (well and I'm a foamer :p )

While I have never used the Kissimmee station I have ridden through on the train when traveling to Tampa and will agree that alot less people use this station then in Orlando. In Orlando, it can be a little bit hectic as so many people are getting on and off the train at the same time.. nothing too crazy, but Kissimmee is alot more relaxed and if you are a family traveling in coach, you would probably have a better chance at getting seated together if boarding in Kissimmee rather than Orlando.

Oh and enjoy your time at Disney, the Boardwalk is one of my favorite places at Disney, I have never stayed there, but I love hanging out there in the evening and watching the variety style street entertainers, and stopping by the bakery for a dessert.

Oh and enjoy your time at Disney, the Boardwalk is one of my favorite places at Disney, I have never stayed there, but I love hanging out there in the evening and watching the variety style street entertainers, and stopping by the bakery for a dessert.
My daughter interned at the bakery in the fall of '09.

Can I ask one more question please, if a family of four is travelling, is it possible since we will be booking 11 months out or so, to only purchase two tickets which would include two roomettes. And when time gets closer to June of next year, add the other two people to the reservation and having one in each roomette? It would save us about 400.00 total up front and could hang on to that money until closer to the trip. Thank you again to all for your responses.
While I'm not 100% sure, I would be worried about adding people to the room after the fact. I believe that modifying the original reservation would trigger the room price to jump to the current bucket. Generally, anytime you change the reservation, the system reprices everything to the current bucket. Perhaps an agent can override this, but I'm not sure and I wouldn't want to bet on it either.

The other alternative is that you could buy two coach tickets at the current bucket at that time, and then convert them into what's called an open sleeper ticket. This in effect links the coach ticket to your room and allows the other person to join you in the room officially. The problem with this method is that normally when booking a sleeper, one gets the lowest bucket for the coach or rail fare. With an open sleeper ticket, you pay the current coach fare which by the time of booking could be considerably higher.

My daughter interned at the bakery in the fall of '09.
I worked across the river at the Yacht and Beach in '95 and watched it being built. Got to stay once before it opened. Love that place.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back