Oregon trains in trouble

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
bmlock said:
Somewhat suprised as Portland is big on public transportation. There isn't much parking there.
True, but Portland doesn't necessarily equal the rest of the State of Oregon.

This seems to happen annually in Oregon, Missouri, Wisconsin, and Michigan, where the funding for these corridors is threatened due to lack of available state funding.

This is yet another (obvious) example of how dumping train operating costs onto the states simply won't work.

Well there is an easy way to help keep the service. People that live in that state need to write in the news papers and start contacting there elected officals and tell them to support Amtrak.This is working in Michigan we have a lot of support for the State Funded trains. :)

BNSF_1088 said:
Well there is an easy way to help keep the service. People that live in that state need to write in the news papers and start contacting there elected officals and tell them to support Amtrak.This is working in Michigan we have a lot of support for the State Funded trains. :)
On that note, I am actually starting an internship with a local senator. He believes in Passenger rail as well and I want to try and get involved myself. Being a senior in high school, my school allows for quite a few days of interning throughout the year. This summer im starting work with him on a local idea for passenger rail called the beltine in ATL. My hopes are to eventually be able to work at a higher level on Amtrak ideas, but time will tell if any opportunities open up down the road.

It's not an easy job dealing with saving Amtrak you realy have to know your stuff when you talk to the news media.I did a ton of research before starting up my 2 groups and it has paid off i can get the media to do storys in the paper at this point in time i haver never maid a false statment thats the biggist thing to worry about.

Oregon faces a similar problem we have here in Oklahoma. The majority of the state (area wise, not population) doesn't see the benefits of rail travel and therefore don't want to spend the money. They don't understand that if they support it now and continue it will eventually come to or near to them. I could see rail extending south to Medford/Grants Pass area. If there is a good coastal route, that would be nice also. And for the folks on the east side of the state, maybe they could get the Pioneer of a version of it back. As for us here in OK, extending the Flyer to Wichita and Newton or even Tulsa would result is major ridership growth.

I read that article too. I live in Portland and ride the Cascades frequently. Take note of the Republican Rep. Andy Olson of Albany: "...said he wasn't aware of the effect on rail when he voted for the bill. But now that he is, Olson said, he is trying to persuade fellow legislators to restore the train money." So, if we get at least one Republican person to vote for keeping the trains, hopefully it will encourage others to do the same. There is more than writing to the representatives and newspapers (The Oregonian is usually pro-Amtrak, but it doesn't print a lot of letters to the editor about Amtrak). I emailed my mayor about his thoughts on Amtrak, and I still have not gotten an answer. Also, we must make sure people know that preserving train service is not just a "railfan" thing, but it is good for the traveling public and for the economy.

Back