Order of Amtrak Cars on California Zephyr

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it is cost issue. How long does it take, how many people are required, what productivity is lost to do this maneuver? Then multiply times six consists times twice a year, nice chuck of savings.

I think it is cost issue. How long does it take, how many people are required, what productivity is lost to do this maneuver? Then multiply times six consists times twice a year, nice chuck of savings.
Six minutes per car by myself. As long as the seats are maintained and they don't get stuck. I can flip the entire car in six. In ten minutes I can have all of the tray tables up, foot rests up, and seats un reclined. And that's for someone who almost never works a coach. Normally I work sleepers, sleeper lounges, lounges, and parlors. I would assume amtraks coach cleaners can do it far faster than myself because they A. Work on the cars full time. B. Amtrak seats should be in better shape than private car coaches.

That is the easy part compared to switching the cars around. Using San Antonio as an example, I would guess an hour, maybe more with safety checks. Requires an Engineer, several Yard personnel. Also the cost of using an engine to make the move. If you were doing a wye, finding a time slot would be an issue based on all the train movements in Chicago.

The Zephyr is wyed every day in Oakland.

The wye is too short to fit the entire train at one time, so it has to be cut in half and each section wyed individually. This means that reversing the order of the cars is actually less work for the switch crew, and more work for the Carmen flipping seats.

Six minutes per car by myself. As long as the seats are maintained and they don't get stuck. I can flip the entire car in six. In ten minutes I can have all of the tray tables up, foot rests up, and seats un reclined. And that's for someone who almost never works a coach. Normally I work sleepers, sleeper lounges, lounges, and parlors. I would assume amtraks coach cleaners can do it far faster than myself because they A. Work on the cars full time. B. Amtrak seats should be in better shape than private car coaches.
Yeah, I've got to agree with Lonestar. Coupling, uncoupling, and wyeing are really the main issue with reversing the sleepers/coaches.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back