Ontime perfomance + seating requests

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

adam_aussie

Train Attendant
Hi to all,

I am looking at taking the #98 Meteor from Miami to DC on a Wednesday, arriving in Washington on the Thursday morning, then boarding an early afternoon flight to Chicago with the aim of later that same day catching the #48 Amtrak service to New York.

Is this a practical and possible option, or am I risking too much with the chance that either the #98 or WAS-CHI flight may experience delays.

I have given myself enough transfer time in Washington to accommodate the #98 running upto 5 hours late – is this enough?

Has the #98 got itself a good reputation for punctuality?

Regarding an unrelated trip on NYC-Wash DC-Boston regional services what is the procedure in order for one to get a ‘window seat’ on such trains where booking is required? Once booking through Amtrak is there the option of making a seat request, or is it a case of first come first serve to their choice of seat?

Is this the same for services that are unreserved seating? (eg. The Pacific Surfliner )

Thankyou.

Last edited by a moderator:
Frankly I think 5 hours is pushing things, although it also depends on whether you're leaving out of Dulles or Regan/National. But since most airlines suggest getting to the airport 2 hours before your flight, 3 hours IMHO isn't enough for travel time from Amtrak to the airport (especially Dulles) and to deal with a late arriving Meteor. I don't think that 3 to 4 hours late is uncommon for this train.

As for NEC Regional, as well as Surfliners, you cannot pick your seat in advance. It's first come, first served on seating. So be first!

Frankly I think 5 hours is pushing things, although it also depends on whether you're leaving out of Dulles or Regan/National. But since most airlines suggest getting to the airport 2 hours before your flight, 3 hours IMHO isn't enough for travel time from Amtrak to the airport (especially Dulles) and to deal with a late arriving Meteor. I don't think that 3 to 4 hours late is uncommon for this train.
As for NEC Regional, as well as Surfliners, you cannot pick your seat in advance. It's first come, first served on seating. So be first!
Thanks for the info Alan.

My intentions were to fly from Washington National, around the 3-4pm mark.

With the #98 due into WAS at 7:45, and even with the potential 4-hour delay, I'd like to think that I should make it to the airport no later than 2pm.

However it's giving enough time for the airlines' check-in procedures that may come back to bite me.

Decisions, decisions.......

Don't be so sure. Washington traffic is an advertisement for New York City-style mass-transit.
Actually, the Washington Metro is a pretty good rail transit system and the Blue and Yellow lines have a stop right at the Washington National (DCA) terminal. Washington traffic, which is horrible, should not be an issue getting to DCA.

Hi to all,
I am looking at taking the #98 Meteor from Miami to DC on a Wednesday, arriving in Washington on the Thursday morning, then boarding an early afternoon flight to Chicago with the aim of later that same day catching the #48 Amtrak service to New York.

Is this a practical and possible option, or am I risking too much with the chance that either the #98 or WAS-CHI flight may experience delays.

I have given myself enough transfer time in Washington to accommodate the #98 running upto 5 hours late – is this enough?

Arriving Thursday morning, flying to Chicago, and catching #48 to New York that same day sounds a bit optimisitc. While the connection between your Thursday arrival in DC and the flight to Chicago is probably OK (but not definately), booking a late afternoon flight to Chicago with complete assurance that you will make the 10pm departure of #48 to New York is a little less certain. Chicago is one of those areas where the slightest weather glitch can completle disrupt air traffic. Allowing a 2 hour window from your arrival at ORD or MDW to the 10pm departure of the Lake Shore means you need to get to Chicago no later than 8pm to comfortably get your bags, make the trek downtown, and catch the train. That means you need to be out of DCA no later than 6:30pm. With a scheduled 4pm departure from DCA, that leaves you with about 2.5 hours of delay cushion. 2.5 hours is not an unusual delay if the weather is marginal in Chicago. Moving up you flight out of DCA makes the connection from #98 a bigger issue, so you are kind of pinched. If everything runs on-time, you are just fine. But with your plan there is very little margin for the unexpected, and I always expect the unexpected when I travel.

Did you consider this option? Arrive Washington on #98 with a guarenteed conenction to #29, the Capitol Limited from Washington to Chicago. This train uses Superliner equipment and has a full dining car and a Sightseer observation lounge car, unlike the Lake Shore which has a limited diner-lounge and does not even serve dinner eastbound. You would arrive in Chicago the next day and could then fly to New York on a late afternoon fight arriving just about the same time as #48. This would seem to accomplish your rail goals and would, in my opinion, reduce the stress level about making connections.

Hi to all,

Regarding an unrelated trip on NYC-Wash DC-Boston regional services what is the procedure in order for one to get a ‘window seat’ on such trains where booking is required? Once booking through Amtrak is there the option of making a seat request, or is it a case of first come first serve to their choice of seat?

Is this the same for services that are unreserved seating? (eg. The Pacific Surfliner )

Thankyou.
Others have chimed in with some good advice, but since I think I'm the only "Local Yokle" to post in this topic so far, I have a few points that haven't been made yet.

-Everyone's spot-on in that you're kind of painting yourself into a corner with pulling off a connecting flight between trains. I'm somewhat more optimistic, however (I'll go so far as to say I think it can be done!), and I'll get into that.

-98's performance into DC is what I'd call acceptable. In looking at www.AmtrakDelays.com, I see that it's been on-time or early (more often the latter) about 52% of the time over the past 3 weeks. When it's been late, it's averaging about 50 minutes, which puts it in around 8:35 AM or so. The latest it's been the past 3 weeks has been at 11:24 AM, or 3 and a half hours late. When I plan the sort of thing you're planning, I ALWAYS plan on the train being the latest it's ever been in the past 3 weeks, so use 11:30 as your baseline.

-Now, airports. Glad to see you're not thinking of Dulles. That's a common mistake. DCA is good, but for my money, BWI is good, or better in many cases. BWI is the Baltimore-Washington International Airport. It's just about the same distance time-wise, Door-to-Door, by MARC Penn Line commuter train, and costs $6 (compared to $1.35 on the Metro). The MARC has a few advantages over the metro: the Metro requires a transfer at Gallery Place/Chinatown from the Red to Yellow lines. If you're carrying rolling luggage, —take it from one who knows—this turn-the-corner-and-down-the-escalator-and-on-the-metro-is a pain. The Metro doesn't have luggage racks, and when there are a lot of people, bags get very cumbersome. The MARC has luggage racks and is generally much more spacious. There is one transfer if you go to BWI, and that's from the MARC train to the FREE terminal shuttle. That shuttle also has luggage racks, however, and it's geared towards people who are about to travel.

-Another reason to consider BWI: Airfare and frequency. BWI boasts being one of Southwest Airlines' largest hubs with about 8 nonstop flights a day to Chicago Midway. Southwest fares from BWI to Chicago (one-way) can be had for as little as $79 plus tax. American also has 4 nonstops to O'Hare, and United has 6 nonstops to O'Hare. But frankly, I find Midway MUCH easier, cheaper, and faster to connect to Union Station in Chicago via the Orange line (Subway/Metro) than O'Hare, and Southwest's one-way fares are hard to beat when booked in advance. When you compare it to flights from Reagan National, BWI's 18 nonstop daily flights to Chicago just outweigh the options at Reagan. In looking at the prices, I'm just not seeing a fair comparison at all ($198 to fly from Reagan compared to $89.50 to fly from BWI on Southwest). One reason to consider an airline OTHER than Southwest is the standby factor. Say Train 98 makes it to DC on-time or much earlier than 11:30. Well, you could fly standby on an earlier flight to get to Chicago earlier, but with Southwest, you have to pay a serious upgrade fee to do that. Other airlines generally let you do that for free or for a minimal fee.

-Another reason to consider BWI and Midway: Delays. Both of these are "alternative" airports that don't have the restrictions and traffic that surround Reagan and O'Hare. As a result, delays at these airports are considerably less than their siblings, yet in both cases, they're about the same distance time-wise from both Union Stations.

So, if I were to construct an itinerary for you based on a BWI-oriented flight, here's what I'd come up with, and frankly, I wouldn't hesitate to do this myself:

1). Take 98 into Washington, or better yet, book the reservation to BWI and Amtrak will usually put you on a Regional train for LESS than the MARC train would cost (watch it, though; sometimes they charge the normal $20 surcharge, so you need to be careful). Doing that via Amtrak.com for, say August 20-21 (which is a Wednesday-Thursday), puts you into BWI at 11:30 AM (they pad the layover in WAS for a late train 98). Alternatively, you can catch MARC trains every hour at 7:37, 8:15, 9:30, 10:30, etc).

2). Out of BWI, I'm seeing a $79 nonstop Southwest flight for 3:25 PM Eastern, which gets you to Chicago Midway at 4:25 PM Central (2 hr flight). Honestly, you'd want to be in BWI's front door no later than 2 PM if you're checking bags, or by 2:30 PM if you're carryon-only. That's my personal advice and what I adhere to as a frequent BWI traveller—don't hold me to it. Be there by 1 if you want to really play it safe.

3). Out of Midway, allow 30 mins to collect checked bags, so plan on being out of the door by 5 PM and onto the Orange Line. There's a 5:05 Orange line that departs Midway and arrives at Quincy/Wells at 5:31 PM for $2.00. It's a 3 block walk west to Union Station from there. I'd estimate being in the Union Station front door by 5:45 PM with plenty of time to get ready for the 10 PM departure. I think that allows plenty of time for average, standard delays to wait for storms to pass, to swap equipment out, or for terminal congestion. The latest flight I'd book out of BWI would be the 5:40 departure, which gets to Midway at 6:40. That puts you into Union Station at about 8 PM, and frankly, that's as close as I'd push it to cushion for flight delays.

Now, as always, HAVE A BACKUP PLAN. It's nice to have a free flight reward hanging around that you haven't used that you can cash in as a last-minute ditch-out if something goes horribly wrong, as things tend to do. Case in point: my wife and I were heading from Washington to Phoenix on the Capitol, connecting to the Chief last spring. A freight train derailed ahead of us just east of Pittsburgh and there we sat for 8 hours. Needless to say, we missed the Chief out of Chicago and I was faced with getting to Phoenix a day late. Unfortunately, I had to be there for a conference so I broke out two free Southwest one-way vouchers as I sat in Chicago's Union Station, made the executive decision to torpedo the entire Chief trip, stayed in the hotel Amtrak put us up in, no-showed the Chief the next day, and flew straight to Phoenix. If I didn't have that to fall back on, I would have been faced with being a day late or more than a few dollar's short for the last-minute flight fare.

In your case, since Southwest is so cheap, consider booking an "insurance" flight from BWI to, say, Cleveland, so if train 98 gets tanked and gets to WAS disgustingly late, you can jet over to Cleveland to pick the LSL up before most of the trip is over. I'm showing Southwest as having an 8:10 PM nonstop from BWI to Cleveland, arriving at 9:20, well before the LSL shows up, and the flight leaves BWI allowing for even a 10 hour delayed Meteor. If you don't use the "insurance flight," southwest lets you bank the ticket's funds for future use without a penalty (like Amtrak).

Granted, the LSL isn't due into Cleveland until 7 AM the next morning, so you'd be overnighting it in the airport (I wouldn't overnight it in the train station). Alternatively, I'm also seeing a cheap $131, 7:50 PM flight from BWI to South Bend on Northwest Airlines (allows for a 9-10 hour late Meteor), which arrives into South Bend at 11:25 PM (1 connection in Detroit), a healthy hour before the LSL pulls into town (and it's a quick cab ride from the Airport to Train Station—been there, done that). You're risking the insurance flight being late, but frankly, I'd go for it if the Cleveland flight isn't stomachable There's also a 7:25 departure on United for $142 from BWI that gets to South Bend at 11:00 PM. A second alternative would be to fly into Toledo, but again, the LSL pulls in there at 3 AM, and it's not a great area of town.

I realize that's a lot of stuff to digest, but here's the short of it: I think you can be fairly confident in your itinerary, as long as you consider BWI/Midway as well, because BWI/Midway have fewer delays, the prices can be cheaper, and there may be better-timed flights for you. And as long as you build in a last-ditch contingency plan (like flying to South Bend (optimal, but somewhat expensive) or Cleveland (cheap, but requires a night in the airport), I think you'll be fine.

Rafi

P.S. Regarding seating on all Amtrak services: unless you're in a sleeper, your seats are generally first-come, first-served. On some long distance trains you'll be assigned a seat as you step onto the train itself, and that's the time to ask for a window or aisle, but keep in mind that they may or may not be able to accommodate if you're boarding down the line after the originating station.

Hi to all,

I am surprised that no one has mentioned this: Get off 98 at Alexandria, Virginia and walk around to the adjacent Metro station (King Street) and go straight up the line to National Airport. The train will be in Alexandria about 20 minutes before arrival at Washington Union Station, the walk from train to metro is shorter and the time on the metro from station to airport is also shorter and does not involve a change of metro trains, which coming out of Washington does.

Search WMATA or Washington Metro and you should get all you need to know about trains and schedules.

The station at Washinton National airport involves a shuttle to the terminal, but the distance is walkable. In fact a lot of the parking lot spaces are further from the terminals than the Metro station.

I am surprised that no one has mentioned this: Get off 98 at Alexandria, Virginia and walk around to the adjacent Metro station (King Street) and go straight up the line to National Airport. The train will be in Alexandria about 20 minutes before arrival at Washington Union Station, the walk from train to metro is shorter and the time on the metro from station to airport is also shorter and does not involve a change of metro trains, which coming out of Washington does.
Search WMATA or Washington Metro and you should get all you need to know about trains and schedules.
Hand. Hits. Forehead.

I should have caught that. Good point. If you're set on DCA, this is the best way to get to the airport from the Meteor. Again, BWI has more frequent flights and cheaper prices with the convenience of going to Midway.

The station at Washinton National airport involves a shuttle to the terminal, but the distance is walkable. In fact a lot of the parking lot spaces are further from the terminals than the Metro station.
Actually, there's no shuttle that I'm aware of. It's just a skywalk (enclosed) over to the new terminal (90% of flights) unless you're departing from the old terminal, which would be a shuttle bus ride or a longer walk. The metro station is directly in between the parking garage and the terminal if memory serves correctly.

-Rafi

Actually, there's no shuttle that I'm aware of. It's just a skywalk (enclosed) over to the new terminal (90% of flights) unless you're departing from the old terminal, which would be a shuttle bus ride or a longer walk. The metro station is directly in between the parking garage and the terminal if memory serves correctly.
It's been several years since I've flown the Delta Shuttle out of DCA, but I also don't recall the walk being very long at all. Perhaps that was because the shuttle's gates were right at the same end of the skywalk.

-Rafi
It has been 20 years since I was in the area. There was no skywalk when I was there.

My goodness. Thankyou all for your thoughtful and detailed replies here.

I am certainly humbled by your efforts and very grateful.

Many great options, lots for me the think about and further research!

Thankyou

-adam

.....As for NEC Regional, as well as Surfliners, you cannot pick your seat in advance. It's first come, first served on seating. So be first!
With that being the case are Regionals and Surfliners still considered 'reserved seating' trains. (still trying to learn various Amtrak definitions here)

I also plan to take the #449 service from Boston to Albany. Is the seating on this train also 'first come, first served'?

(Without wanting to sound too fusy or spoilt) - I'd consider it to be a wasted trip if I were not able to get a window seat. Should I upgrade to a business class ticket to increase my chances of choosing where I can sit in the carriage?

thankyou.

-adam

With that being the case are Regionals and Surfliners still considered 'reserved seating' trains. (still trying to learn various Amtrak definitions here)
I also plan to take the #449 service from Boston to Albany. Is the seating on this train also 'first come, first served'?

(Without wanting to sound too fusy or spoilt) - I'd consider it to be a wasted trip if I were not able to get a window seat. Should I upgrade to a business class ticket to increase my chances of choosing where I can sit in the carriage?

thankyou.

-adam
Adam,

Regionals between Boston, New York, Washington, Richmond, and Newport News are all "Reserved," which means that you can't board the train without a ticket in hand that has the train's number printed on it. Amtrak doesn't assign coach, business class, or Acela First Class seats, even for Reserved trains.

The Surfliner is an unreserved service in coach, on the other hand, which means you can board any train with any surfliner ticket between the ticketed cities. Surfliners do have business class, however, and that IS a reserved ticket. Again, open seating, but your ticket has to have the correct train number in order to ride in business class on a Surfliner.

Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't you planning on heading EAST from Chicago? Train 449 heads WEST from Boston to Albany. Don't you mean that you'd take the Lake Shore Limited to Albany (#48) and then transfer to the LSL stub to Boston (#448)?

To answer your question, though, yes, the seating on the Lake Shore is also first come, first served. Assuming you're boarding in Albany (or Boston, if you plans have changed), just make sure to be one of the first ones on the train if you'd like to guarantee a window seat. Booking business class might improve your chances (it's only available on the Boston-Albany section), but it could also detract if business class is full on that particular day. There's no way to really predict.

-Rafi

Regionals between Boston, New York, Washington, Richmond, and Newport News are all "Reserved," which means that you can't board the train without a ticket in hand that has the train's number printed on it. Amtrak doesn't assign coach, business class, or Acela First Class seats, even for Reserved trains.
The Surfliner is an unreserved service in coach, on the other hand, which means you can board any train with any surfliner ticket between the ticketed cities. Surfliners do have business class, however, and that IS a reserved ticket. Again, open seating, but your ticket has to have the correct train number in order to ride in business class on a Surfliner.

Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't you planning on heading EAST from Chicago? Train 449 heads WEST from Boston to Albany. Don't you mean that you'd take the Lake Shore Limited to Albany (#48) and then transfer to the LSL stub to Boston (#448)?

To answer your question, though, yes, the seating on the Lake Shore is also first come, first served. Assuming you're boarding in Albany (or Boston, if you plans have changed), just make sure to be one of the first ones on the train if you'd like to guarantee a window seat. Booking business class might improve your chances (it's only available on the Boston-Albany section), but it could also detract if business class is full on that particular day. There's no way to really predict.

-Rafi
Thankyou Rafi,

Yes, you are correct on both counts.

I do plan on catching the 48 Eastbound from Chicago all the way to NYP and the 449, from Boston to Albany - ovbiously not on the same day however.

As with my earlier posts I will be starting the day in Miami, was then going to take the 98 to WAS(arriving the day after departure from MIA) and get a connecting flight to CHI that morning intime to catch the 48.

Being a bit tight I've changed my schedule and will now get a train (probably Tri-rail over Amtrak) from MIA to West Palm Beach, then fly from there to CHI around noon, with the aim of catching the #48 Lake Shore that same day.

A few days later I will get a train from NYC to Boston, and after a stay there will get the 449 to Albany.

I'll make sure I arrive at BOS long before departure on the 449!

Thanks again.

Thankyou Rafi,Yes, you are correct on both counts.

I do plan on catching the 48 Eastbound from Chicago all the way to NYP and the 449, from Boston to Albany - ovbiously not on the same day however.

As with my earlier posts I will be starting the day in Miami, was then going to take the 98 to WAS(arriving the day after departure from MIA) and get a connecting flight to CHI that morning intime to catch the 48.

Being a bit tight I've changed my schedule and will now get a train (probably Tri-rail over Amtrak) from MIA to West Palm Beach, then fly from there to CHI around noon, with the aim of catching the #48 Lake Shore that same day.

A few days later I will get a train from NYC to Boston, and after a stay there will get the 449 to Albany.

I'll make sure I arrive at BOS long before departure on the 449!

Thanks again.
Ahhh, that makes sense now. It's a shame you won't get a chance to experience the Meteor with its full diner car (which the LSL lacks), but I can't blame you for being worried about the time constraints with Plan A. At least you'll see the good Florida Beach scenery from Tri Rail.

Rafi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back