One woman traveling cardinal w/ 2 toddlers CHI - PHL

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

CarolynG

Hi everyone, I am ever so excited to have found this forum! I will be taking my 2 toddlers who are almost 3 and almost 4 from St. Louis to Chicago on the Texas Eagle, then on to Philadelphia on the Cardinal. This is a last minute trip and no rooms were available, just coach. Booked on 3/15, travel on 4/3, and I don't understand all this 'bucket' talk but I think I got lucky - $270 for the 3 of us.

If anyone can answer these two questions you will make my planning and trip much easier and I will appreciate it greatly!

#1 - are there any places where either there are 3 seats together like on an airplane, or where we can have seats facing each other? I certainly wouldn't have one of the kids sitting by his/herself, nor do I want to be ahead or behind them.

#2 - I am finding conflicting information about the availability of electricity. If the kids can watch DVDs on my laptop this trip will be SO MUCH easier. I know that we need to have earbuds for it. The Personal Electronics page (http://www.amtrak.com/servlet/ContentServer?c=Page&pagename=am%2FLayout&p=1237405732517&cid=1241267382710) says that there are no outlets in coach. But when I go to the page for the Cardinal (http://www.amtrak.com/servlet/ContentServer?c=AM_Route_C&pagename=am%2FLayout&cid=1241245652448) and click on "Reserved Coach" (http://www.amtrak.com/servlet/ContentServer?c=AM_Accommodation_C&pagename=am%2FLayout&cid=1237405735252) the chart says there are at-seat 120V outlets. So will I be able to plug in the laptop or not? And what is a 120 V outlet???

Thanks so much!!!

If your kids are small, they can share a seat next to you. Otherwise, the attendant might put one across the aisle from you so that you're still "next to" them, but the aisle will separate you. Most kids that age can share a seat, though.

The outlets can handle things like laptops and cell phone chargers. That's a standard household current. I'm pretty sure the Texas Eagle has outlets at every seat now, but others can confirm that for sure. I've never been on the TE.

"Bucket" refers to pricing. Think of it as a level. As the rooms and such sell out, Amtrak raises the prices. That's why you hear a lot of "low bucket" and "high bucket" talk on this forum.

:hi: Welcome to the Forum, it's always good to let Kids experience riding on Trains when theyre Young! I like to say that Families that Ride Trains Together Stay Together! :wub:

The Cardinal is a Three Times a week, Single Level Train that only has One Sleeping Car, thus it Sells Out Most days for Highest Prices !,(known as Buckets!)

An Alternative from CHI to Philly would be the Capitol Ltd.#30 to Washington. It's a Superliner Train, Two Levels, much more Comfortable in Coach,and if a Roomette is Available @ Low Bucket ($250!!)it Includes Meals (Dinner/Breakfast/Brunch) for all of you,also you can use the Metro Lounge in Chicago to wait for your Train and also the Club Acela in Washington! And it gets into Washington much Earlier than the Cardinal, then you can Transfer to a Regional Train up the NEC to Philadelphia, they Leave pretty much Hourly! It also has a real Diner, the Cardinal has whats Called a Diner Lite which is a Combo Cafe/Diner with Micowave/Convection Oven heated Food! While the Sights on the Cardinal Route are very Good (New River Gorge/Mountains/Virginia etc.), the Cardinal is very slow, runs Late Most Days, and the Coaches have Small Windows to see the Sights. The Capitol Limited also has very Good Scenery in the Morning in the East after the Sun comes up! :cool: Even if you have to Ride Coach all the way I Recommend taking the Cap over the Cardinal, All Things Considered!

Please read the FAQ and First Time Rider Postings on this Forum, and the Travel Reports about this Route! There are plenty of Knowledgeable, Experienced Members here who will be Glad to Help.answer any Questions you have!

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not worried about the scenery AT ALL. They are so young it will mean nothing to them and my primary concern is the kids of course. I looked into this and the problem I see is that there's no checked baggage from WAS to PHL. I will have as carry ons the kids' two backpacks (which they can likely do themselves), my backpack with our snacks and extra clothes, and the laptop. Then I am going to have to check in one enormous suitcase with the clothes for all 3 of us for this week, plus the 2 car seats. No way can I handle all of that myself, especially with the kids. It's $40 more to go the Capitol instead of the Cardinal which is not an issue, just worried about trekking all this luggage between the trains and then again when I get off for good. How big of a difference is the coach between the cardinal and the capitol? I'm not overly concerned about the food quality either.

THANK YOU!

You don't have to worry about checked bags for each individual leg. If the origin and destination stations have checked baggage, Amtrak will get it there.

In your case, if you went from Chicago to Washington and then to Philly on a train that accepts checked baggage, your bags will go on another train that does offer baggage service. All of the long distance trains going up the east coast stop at Washington and Philly and can carry your bags, even if you are not permitted to buy a ticket to travel on those trains.

The only downside to this is that is MAY be possible that your bags get to the station after you do, necessitating a trip back to the station for your bags. This can be eliminated by dropping your checked bags at your origin a day early and having your bags precede you in order to have them waiting at PHL.

When I go in and do a trip from STL to PHL, it doesn't let me do the Capitol - it's got it tied in with a Texas Eagle that doesn't have any coach left. But if i go in as multi-city and select each leg I can do it. is there any reason this would not be a good idea? In terms of my luggage, will it mess me up - not recognize it as a consecutive trip or something? I live about 90 minutes away from the STL station, and will be going at least that far away from PHL so am not wanting to have to go back to either drop off or pick up luggage. THANK YOU!

When I go in and do a trip from STL to PHL, it doesn't let me do the Capitol - it's got it tied in with a Texas Eagle that doesn't have any coach left. But if i go in as multi-city and select each leg I can do it. is there any reason this would not be a good idea? In terms of my luggage, will it mess me up - not recognize it as a consecutive trip or something? I live about 90 minutes away from the STL station, and will be going at least that far away from PHL so am not wanting to have to go back to either drop off or pick up luggage. THANK YOU!
Carolyn: :hi: Checking Amsnag for 4/03, Train #22 is shown as Sold Out but Train #322, which is a STL-CHI only Coach attached to the Eagle, shows Availability with Connections to the Cap Ltd.

It also shows a Coach Fare of $158 so evidently the Buckets have Gone Up on both the Eagle and the Cap due to lots of ticket sales on this Route! It wouldnt hurt to call Amtrak and see if you could book #322/#30/Regional Without a Price Increase, but Id think it may be too Late due to Heavy Travel on that Date! You also could check into taking the Lincoln Service Train #302 from STL to CHI , it Leaves @ 6:40AM, Arrives 12:40PM into CHI! It MAY even be Cheaper, the Eagle Prices are Kept High due to it being a LD Train! I diddnt look into it but the Kid Fares might be Cheaper also, its worth Googling it up or Calling just to Check! :)

Carolyn: :hi: Checking Amsnag for 4/03, Train #22 is shown as Sold Out but Train #322, which is a STL-CHI only Coach attached to the Eagle, shows Availability with Connections to the Cap Ltd.

It also shows a Coach Fare of $158 so evidently the Buckets have Gone Up on both the Eagle and the Cap due to lots of ticket sales on this Route! It wouldnt hurt to call Amtrak and see if you could book #322/#30/Regional Without a Price Increase, but Id think it may be too Late due to Heavy Travel on that Date! You also could check into taking the Lincoln Service Train #302 from STL to CHI , it Leaves @ 6:40AM, Arrives 12:40PM into CHI! It MAY even be Cheaper, the Eagle Prices are Kept High due to it being a LD Train! I diddnt look into it but the Kid Fares might be Cheaper also, its worth Googling it up or Calling just to Check! :)

I looked up Capitol vs. Cardinal and took your advice - thank you for pointing out to me how much more comfortable and kid-friendly the Capitol will be! This is what i got:

============================================================

St. Louis, MO (STL) to Chicago - Union Station, IL (CHI) 03-APR-12; 7:55 am - 03-APR-12; 1:52 pm

Service: 322 Texas Eagle

Duration: 5 hr, 57 min

<Departs> St. Louis, MO (STL) 03-APR-12; 7:55 am

<Arrives> Chicago - Union Station, IL (CHI) 03-APR-12; 1:52 pm

<Seat(s)/Room(s)> 3 Reserved Coach Seats

Amenities: Checked baggage, Lounge, Dining car, Onboard wheelchair ramp

Chicago - Union Station, IL (CHI) to Washington - Union Station, DC (WAS) 03-APR-12; 6:10 pm - 04-APR-12; 12:40 pm

Service: 30 Capitol Limited Duration: 17 hr, 30 min

<Departs> Chicago - Union Station, IL (CHI) 03-APR-12; 6:10 pm

<Arrives> Washington - Union Station, DC (WAS) 04-APR-12; 12:40 pm

Amenities: Checked baggage, Lounge, Dining car, Onboard wheelchair ramp

Washington - Union Station, DC (WAS) to Wilmington, DE (WIL) 04-APR-12; 3:02 pm - 04-APR-12; 4:36 pm

Service: 148 Northeast Regional

Duration: 1 hr, 34 min

<Departs> Washington - Union Station, DC (WAS) 04-APR-12; 3:02 pm

<Arrives> Wilmington, DE (WIL) 04-APR-12; 4:36 pm

FARE INFORMATION

Rail Fare $266

When I did it straight from STL to WIL it wouldn't let me do the Capitol - it had them attached - so I had to do it as a multi city - customer service said that wouldn't change anything with luggage or anything. But why are they attached to begin with and not let you have that option??

Hi everyone, I am ever so excited to have found this forum! I will be taking my 2 toddlers who are almost 3 and almost 4 from St. Louis to Chicago on the Texas Eagle, then on to Philadelphia on the Cardinal. This is a last minute trip and no rooms were available, just coach. Booked on 3/15, travel on 4/3, and I don't understand all this 'bucket' talk but I think I got lucky - $270 for the 3 of us.

If anyone can answer these two questions you will make my planning and trip much easier and I will appreciate it greatly!

#1 - are there any places where either there are 3 seats together like on an airplane, or where we can have seats facing each other? I certainly wouldn't have one of the kids sitting by his/herself, nor do I want to be ahead or behind them.

#2 - I am finding conflicting information about the availability of electricity. If the kids can watch DVDs on my laptop this trip will be SO MUCH easier. I know that we need to have earbuds for it. The Personal Electronics page (http://www.amtrak.com/servlet/ContentServer?c=Page&pagename=am%2FLayout&p=1237405732517&cid=1241267382710) says that there are no outlets in coach. But when I go to the page for the Cardinal (http://www.amtrak.com/servlet/ContentServer?c=AM_Route_C&pagename=am%2FLayout&cid=1241245652448) and click on "Reserved Coach" (http://www.amtrak.com/servlet/ContentServer?c=AM_Accommodation_C&pagename=am%2FLayout&cid=1237405735252) the chart says there are at-seat 120V outlets. So will I be able to plug in the laptop or not? And what is a 120 V outlet???

Thanks so much!!!
Call Amtrak Reservations ASAP and see if the Handicap Bedroom is available. If this room is free 14 days before the departure date they will sell it to anyone and it sells for the rate of the roomettes. I was able to get one at the last minute once.

There is a very small chance that it is still open, but it does not hurt to ask.

Call Amtrak Reservations ASAP and see if the Handicap Bedroom is available. If this room is free 14 days before the departure date they will sell it to anyone and it sells for the rate of the roomettes. I was able to get one at the last minute once.

There is a very small chance that it is still open, but it does not hurt to ask.
I might be wrong, but I was under the impression that the Accessible Bedrooms only sell at roomette rates (any time before departure) to people who are actually mobility-impaired. Booking the room as an able-bodied passenger within 2 weeks results in a higher fare than a roomette, but less than a full Bedroom, right?

I might be wrong, but I was under the impression that the Accessible Bedrooms only sell at roomette rates (any time before departure) to people who are actually mobility-impaired. Booking the room as an able-bodied passenger within 2 weeks results in a higher fare than a roomette, but less than a full Bedroom, right?
If/When the H room goes on sale to the general public, it goes on sale at the rate of a Bedroom. In fact, it even shows up as a bedroom in inventory if booking online. It always used to go in at the current bucket level for Bedrooms, but lately it seems like Revenue Management may play with what bucket it goes in at. But regardless, to my knowledge, it always goes into Bedroom bucket; never a roomette bucket.

I'm not worried about a room. I booked what I got and I think we'll be fine. We'll be given pillows and we'll each have one of those light throw blankets. I've got plenty of activities and the laptop to watch DVDs on. We're on a superliner so we can walk around some. We're on the train for about 6 hours from St. Louis to Chicago, then have a few hours in Union Station to run around. They both are good sleepers so I'm not worried about that overnight. So it sounds like you actually get seated, not just find your own? I plan to be there early anyway, and if that's true I'll ask to make sure I'm near an outlet so the kids can watch DVDs and keep quiet. lol

No need to worry about asking about outlets, there is a pair at every seat.

Also, if you are on time or early into Washington, you can ask about catching an earlier train if you don't want to spend 2 hours in Union Station. You may be able to get on an earlier train for no additional charge.

On the other hand, if the kids are doing well, there's plenty to do while you're waiting.

Carolyn,

In Chicago they generally make an announcement for those with small kids to pre-board the Capitol. So be sure to listen for that, as it will get you ahead of the main group and help ou to get better seats.

You don't have to worry about checked bags for each individual leg. If the origin and destination stations have checked baggage, Amtrak will get it there.

In your case, if you went from Chicago to Washington and then to Philly on a train that accepts checked baggage, your bags will go on another train that does offer baggage service. All of the long distance trains going up the east coast stop at Washington and Philly and can carry your bags, even if you are not permitted to buy a ticket to travel on those trains.

The only downside to this is that is MAY be possible that your bags get to the station after you do, necessitating a trip back to the station for your bags. This can be eliminated by dropping your checked bags at your origin a day early and having your bags precede you in order to have them waiting at PHL.
I confirmed this with Amtrak - thank you! I am taking the Capitol and I just need to specify when I check them in that they're going on the Cardinal. There is about a 6 hour difference between when I would get to Wilmington and the bags will, but that's okay - me and the kids will stay at the Washington station for a good while killing time and looking around (it looks HUGE) and we can eat there. Worst case scenario, we find somewhere to sit to watch a movie. Then we'll go on to Wilmington closer to when the bags should arrive and my sister will pick me up. We'll stay in Washington for a good while because it's so much bigger than Wilmington and so much more to do. there's even some kind of outside market.

Carolyn,

In Chicago they generally make an announcement for those with small kids to pre-board the Capitol. So be sure to listen for that, as it will get you ahead of the main group and help ou to get better seats.
That is awesome to know, thank you!

I confirmed this with Amtrak - thank you! I am taking the Capitol and I just need to specify when I check them in that they're going on the Cardinal. There is about a 6 hour difference between when I would get to Wilmington and the bags will, but that's okay - me and the kids will stay at the Washington station for a good while killing time and looking around (it looks HUGE) and we can eat there. Worst case scenario, we find somewhere to sit to watch a movie. Then we'll go on to Wilmington closer to when the bags should arrive and my sister will pick me up. We'll stay in Washington for a good while because it's so much bigger than Wilmington and so much more to do. there's even some kind of outside market.
That's a fine idea.

If your interested in a movie, there is a theater 2 stops away on the Red Line. Take the metro from Union Station towards Shady Grove two stops to Gallery Place - Chinatown. The theater is in an indoor mall directly above the metro station.

When you come out of the Metro, you'll be on the corner of 7th and F streets. Make a "U" turn to your right to walk north on 7th street, you'll walk past the Verizon Center (home of the Washington Caps/Wizards) and you'll see the entrance on your right.

I am going to document our entire trip. I am so excited! I know the kids are going to get a huge kick out of the train, and since it is broken up into small blocks between switching trains and sleeping, I have no doubt they will be just fine, especially taking crayons and books and the laptop and DVDs etc.

I have a video camera and I am going to keep filming their reactions to different things, arriving at the train station, etc., as well as the different things we do while we are on our vacation. I started a blog for this. If anyone is interested in watching a couple of preschoolers' reactions to their first train trip, you can go to http://toddlertraintraveling.wordpress.com. We are leaving April 3 and on the blog there's a place to sign up for email updates.

I really appreciate all the information and advice given to me here!

Carolyn

I am going to document our entire trip. I am so excited! I know the kids are going to get a huge kick out of the train, and since it is broken up into small blocks between switching trains and sleeping, I have no doubt they will be just fine, especially taking crayons and books and the laptop and DVDs etc.

I have a video camera and I am going to keep filming their reactions to different things, arriving at the train station, etc., as well as the different things we do while we are on our vacation. I started a blog for this. If anyone is interested in watching a couple of preschoolers' reactions to their first train trip, you can go to http://toddlertraint...g.wordpress.com. We are leaving April 3 and on the blog there's a place to sign up for email updates.

I really appreciate all the information and advice given to me here!

Carolyn
That's a nice blog, I will go back to it when you have documented your trip. For now, just wanted to point out one thing. Sorry to kill your enthusiasm, but this-

WiFi on the Capitol! Woot!

BY MAMA2TODDLERS

I just saw that there is WiFi on the train taht goes from Chicago to Washington DC. It won’t let you stream music or video, but hey, I can play on Facebook to my heart’s content! LOL

is A MISTAKE. What probably got you excited is the mention of Capitol Corridor trains having Wi-fi. These trains run between Bay Area and Sacramento in California. The train you will take is the Capitol Limited and has no wi-fi. :(

Hoping you and the kids will enjoy the trip without the Wi-fi too.

LOL! Oh well. I will definitely survive without it - I've got a stack of books. :) I will delete that post!

That's a nice blog, I will go back to it when you have documented your trip. For now, just wanted to point out one thing. Sorry to kill your enthusiasm, but this-

BY MAMA2TODDLERS

I just saw that there is WiFi on the train taht goes from Chicago to Washington DC. It won't let you stream music or video, but hey, I can play on Facebook to my heart's content! LOL

is A MISTAKE. What probably got you excited is the mention of Capitol Corridor trains having Wi-fi. These trains run between Bay Area and Sacramento in California. The train you will take is the Capitol Limited and has no wi-fi. :(

We're on our way! I think my level of excitement is a trifle elevated for a 38 yearold woman. I'l
I'm in my mid 50's and I was counting the weeks to my 1st LD trip (as an adult) last year. I'd always wanted to take a LD train and was excited to finally have a reason, the time & the money.

Enjoy you trip.

BY MAMA2TODDLERS

I just saw that there is WiFi on the train taht goes from Chicago to Washington DC. It won't let you stream music or video, but hey, I can play on Facebook to my heart's content! LOL

Called AT&T and was able to change my data plan to make my phone a mobile hotspot - I can call back after we are donet traveling and change it back and will only pay the higher price for those two days :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back