One Pillow or Two?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dmorris56

Train Attendant
Hi Everyone,

Seeing as how we are going to be on the EB for two nights in a roomette will one pillow be enough or should we ask for two? Are the pillows of average size or smaller? I kind of figured they might be nice to use for padding during the day. Please take the time to answer this. As I read it it sounds a little unusual. But the more I know the better off I will be. Thank You Again

Are you traveling coach or sleeper? :huh:

If in a sleeper, there are 2 in each room. Your SCA may be able to provide another, but no guarantees, If coach, the CA may have extras to give out, but normally it's one to a passenger. When traveling coach, I usually use my rolled up sweater or coat as a "second pillow". Or you could always carry your own (I have seen many passengers do so), or you could bring one of those "inflatable neck pillows"! ;)

The pillows in the sleeper are smallish. Not tiny but they're not queen size pillows either. There is generally plenty of extra pillows if you'd like more than one. Enjoy your trip.

Hi Everyone,Seeing as how we are going to be on the EB for two nights in a roomette will one pillow be enough or should we ask for two? Are the pillows of average size or smaller? I kind of figured they might be nice to use for padding during the day. Please take the time to answer this. As I read it it sounds a little unusual. But the more I know the better off I will be. Thank You Again
I travel with a fold up travel pillow, comes in handy for reading, leaning against the window while resting etc. As others have said the pillows are fairly small,sometimes if its really cold an extra blanket helps too but if the train is full that may not be available! I carry a light fleece blanket also that comes in handy! Be sure and ask your SCa as the others have said , first come/first served! :)

Any time I've asked for an extra pillow (in sleeper), I've been told there weren't any extras. If you have room to bring a small toss pillow, that should do the trick. Or as others have said, rolled up clothing. I find the pillows to be extremely flat in the sleepers. In coach, they are basically airline pillows. I bring my own pillow case & ask for 2 pillows. That's pretty comfortable.

I don't know about the EB, but on the Silvers, I have always had two pillows (four total) in the Roomette.

Last October, our Crescent bedroom had four pillows, two for each berth. IIRC, there were usually two pillows for each berth the many other times I rode the Crescent over the past 15+ years.

Last October, our Crescent bedroom had four pillows, two for each berth. IIRC, there were usually two pillows for each berth the many other times I rode the Crescent over the past 15+ years.
last september we travelled first on the LSL and 3 days later, the SWC, there was only one pillow per person in the roomette on both trains, but i asked for another on both trains and was given one, no probs

I concur... my travels on Viewliners I've always gotten 2 pillows per berth, 4 total per room WHEN i'm travelling with other people (2 people per room). Perhaps the general rule is.. 2 pillows per passenger in the room.

Either way.. the pillows are not big by any stretch of the imagination... but they are pillows none-the less (i'm not sure what those things are in coach, but I can't really define them as pillows. ha.)

I don't know about the EB, but on the Silvers, I have always had two pillows (four total) in the Roomette.
Every time that I have been on a Silver, in recent memory, there were two pillows per passenger. When traveling alone, I request the extra 2 from the top bunk and use them as a back rest while sitting up in bed. None of the SCAs have refused to provide me with the extra pillows.

I read a neat little trick in the "what to bring section" about bringing an inflatable beach ball that you could inflate halfway or so and put behind your pillow for sitting up and reading or for just looking out the window when the beds are down then you could just deflate and store when not needed.I thought that this was a great idea as space is at a premium in a roommette in day mode.

I concur... my travels on Viewliners I've always gotten 2 pillows per berth, 4 total per room WHEN i'm travelling with other people (2 people per room). Perhaps the general rule is.. 2 pillows per passenger in the room.

Either way.. the pillows are not big by any stretch of the imagination... but they are pillows none-the less (i'm not sure what those things are in coach, but I can't really define them as pillows. ha.)
I had two pillows on the CL and four on the Cardinal.

As a side note one can end up with too many pillows in a roomette. Not in that Amtrak will fill the room with them but me and the Mrs. brought a couple extra with us (nice big ones off the bed) on our trip on the CZ. I ended up putting a few back in the bags in the storage rack. You can fill a roomette with to many pillows.

On net we do not pack lite. We travel on the train like we would pack the car. But we are starting to take less. Weather turns into a factor.

Are you traveling coach or sleeper? :huh:
If in a sleeper, there are 2 in each room. Your SCA may be able to provide another, but no guarantees, If coach, the CA may have extras to give out, but normally it's one to a passenger. When traveling coach, I usually use my rolled up sweater or coat as a "second pillow". Or you could always carry your own (I have seen many passengers do so), or you could bring one of those "inflatable neck pillows"! ;)
Actually there are four to the room: two upper and two lower. My SCA in my bedroom on SSL last weekend being by myself set the bed with three. I grabbed the fourth pillow for extra softness. The second night he set it with four.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back