On-Time Status of CL and CZ

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

librarian

Train Attendant
With our upcoming trip on the CL and CZ next week, I have been tracking the on-time status of both trains from Pittsburgh to Chicago to Sacramento. While our round trip has no tight connections (we're even staying overnight in CHI eastbound) I also chart trains for 30 days in advance of a train trip to see what to expect.

Well, the first two weeks of October ranged from bad to horrible, but since October 14 there has been an amazing change to frequent on-time arrivals, even early! Has track work been completed? Is it the time of year?

We are looking forward to our trip regardless of timekeeping. Smile, sit back, and watch America unfold out the window.

I can answer my own question, as my wife and I have returned from our PGH to SAC round trip. The CL was on-time eastbound, and only 15 minutes late westbound.

The CZ was on-time westbound, and EARLY eastbound to the point we had 45 minutes in Elko, Nevada to stroll the long concrete platform. Our early arrival seemed to shock the two boarding passengers. There is track work in Iowa and Illinois, which made us 1 hour late into Chicago. The next day had a freight derailment, so it was detained for hours.

We took both trains, leaving Calif on 10/19, and returning on the CZ on 11/2 (the LSL got us to CHI from NYP).

Eastbound the CZ was about 1 hr late in CHI, and the CL also about 1 hr late. Connections were no problem.

Westbound, the CZ was 40 minutes early at the end of the run, although the OTP webpage showed it as being late!

Our CA on the westbound CZ was just amazed at being early. The scuttlebutt around the train crew seemed to be that this might happen more often.

If you check the CZ schedule coming into Calif, there's at least an extra hour built in between SAC and EMY.

Our CA on the westbound CZ was just amazed at being early. The scuttlebutt around the train crew seemed to be that this might happen more often.
Well seeing as how Amtrak just took UP to an arbitration hearing regarding UP's poor performance, I'm sure that the crew is right, UP will be doing a better job now at keeping Amtrak on time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back