On Time Schedule

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

steveindixon

Train Attendant
I just checked the on time schedule for the past 4 weeks for the trains I'll be taking from Davis, CA to Boston, MA, and then back. I am actually pretty impressed!

Over the past 4 weeks the number 6 train has averaged being late 2 hours, 13 minutes. Not bad when you consider how far it has to travel.

My next train, number 48 from Chicago to Albany, N.Y. is an average of only 4 minutes late over the past 4 weeks. That is impressive.

My final train, number 448, from Albany, to Boston is on average 23 minutes late.

That's not bad!!

Now, for my return trip:

From Boston to Albany, train number 449 has an average of being ZERO minutes late! Sweet!

From Albany to Chicago, train number 49 has an average of being 47 minutes late.

Now, get this, my final train, number 5 from Chicago to Davis, CA has an average of only being 37 minutes late!! That is awesome!

Oh, I am excited!!

Steve

Dixon, CA

I just checked the on time schedule for the past 4 weeks for the trains I'll be taking from Davis, CA to Boston, MA, and then back. I am actually pretty impressed!
Over the past 4 weeks the number 6 train has averaged being late 2 hours, 13 minutes. Not bad when you consider how far it has to travel.

Now, get this, my final train, number 5 from Chicago to Davis, CA has an average of only being 37 minutes late!! That is awesome!

Oh, I am excited!!
Don't get too excited. I'm not sure is they shortened the "extended schedules" any, but they recently added 3 hours to the schedules of 5/6. So not long ago, that 2:13 was more like 5:13 late, and the 0:37 was more like 3:37 late!

Oh, I am excited!!
Don't get too excited. I'm not sure is they shortened the "extended schedules" any, but they recently added 3 hours to the schedules of 5/6. So not long ago, that 2:13 was more like 5:13 late, and the 0:37 was more like 3:37 late!
Is that what they call schedule padding? :huh:

I think most people are more concerned with the train arriving 'on time' as advertised in the schedule be it padded or not. When the train is more than an hour or so late people get upset because its difficult to make connections, (getting picked up, connecting to other trains, planes, busses, etc). A few hours padding and being close to 'on time' is worth more than a faster schedule and being perceived as constantly late.

I think most people are more concerned with the train arriving 'on time' as advertised in the schedule be it padded or not. When the train is more than an hour or so late people get upset because its difficult to make connections, (getting picked up, connecting to other trains, planes, busses, etc). A few hours padding and being close to 'on time' is worth more than a faster schedule and being perceived as constantly late.
Thanx, I agree completely! :rolleyes:

You don't have to achieve anything, you just have to look busy

St. Louis Public Schools maxim

The thing is, some freight roads, UP, take advantage of padding, and manage to run the trains even later because of the pads.

The thing is, some freight roads, UP, take advantage of padding, and manage to run the trains even later because of the pads.
Sad, but true. Over the past 5 to 6 years Amtrak has added 10 and a half hours of padding to the Sunset Limited's schedule, yet the train still arrive late most days. And sometimes by several hours, not just 20 or 30 minutes late.

Now granted some of that padding was on the now defunct CSX side, but 3/4ths of it was on the UP side. On the other hand, UP has just as much trouble getting their trains across the Sunset route as they do getting the Sunset Limited across their tracks.

Also, in all fairness to UP, since they made an agreement with Amtrak regarding the CZ and the CS, both trains have been doing much better than they were two years ago. There is still room for improvement, and in the case of the CZ, I believe that Amtrak gets to start taking away some of the three hours worth of padding this year. I don't recall the exact agreement, but I think that they get an hour back at some point this year.

Well, I'm sure this point has been discussed before. When enough people use Amtrak and write their respective Senators and Congressmen and complain about the tardiness of the trains then maybe something will get done. The fact is it doesn't hurt UP or any of the others for that matter to run Amtrak trains late or at their convienence. Most if not all of the original railroad executives who divested their RRs of passenger service, (and agreed to the Amtrak provisions), are long gone. The new breed cares only for the dollar. When they begin to really get penalized for running Amtrak late, (say 1 or 2 million for each hour the train runs behind), then somebody will sit up and solve that problem- fast. Untill then Amtrak is a small inconvienence that can easily be ignored. I equate it to a speeding ticket for the average person. If you did 50mph over the limit and were fined only 25 dollars who would care? Nobody right? Try doing that through a camera-enforced construction zone, you'd get hit with a 500 dollar or more fine, lose your license and receive possible jail time. Ouch! So until UP, BNSF, CSX, NS and all the rest feel that level of pain late Amtrak trains will continue to be a fact of life.

I wouldn't include BNSF in that list. BNSF has, historically, been shown to jump through hoops to try to keep Amtrak trains as close to schedule as possible.

I wouldn't include BNSF in that list. BNSF has, historically, been shown to jump through hoops to try to keep Amtrak trains as close to schedule as possible.
NS is also great about getting the Crescent through on-time. I'm not sure how they fair for other trains.

Now there was one instance that NS treated the Crescent horribly. Back during the recent maintenance blitz between ATL and NOL. The SB Crescent missed its window by 20 mins, so NS proceeds to rip up about a mile of mainline track. Amtrak is stuck on the mainline between BHM and TCL for 8hrs while NS replaces ties and rail. So that meant that it took 3 sets of crew to complete one sets run. The next NB was delayed by 3 hrs because there wasn't enough time to turn, clean and restock the train. The crew schedule was thrown out of whack which meant that the effects of the delay were felt for almost a week. Other than that I haven't noticed NS deliberately making things difficult for Amtrak.

Also when I ride the Crescent we rarely have to stop for freights.

This might take a couple of years but I am going to make an off the wall forecast and hope I live to see it. When gas starts hovering over $5 a gallon and an airplane ticket from New York to Miami is $1,000 or better because there are only two or three airlines left account of mergers, THEN you will see megabucks devoted to long distance trains and new equipment. I would drive to the East Coast just to ride the "Florida Special" if they haven't put the Sunset back on by then !!! I might have to go build a depot in Mobile first so Amtrak can't keep wearing out that excuse for no resumption of service east of NOL.

Why I will never ride Amtrak, Horrible coustomer service, horrible experience Katie

I will never travel with Amtrak agian. My first trip, as I was traveling on your train and going from Denver CO. to East Lansing MI. My train was 5 hours off schedule, not only did I miss my connecting train from Chicago to Lansing

I would include the BNSF in that list

I would agree that some host railroads are better than others at getting Amtrak through quickly. However, if GW Bush had had his way and Amtrak was gone, there would be champaign corks a poppin' on every Class 1 RR, even BNSF. Regardless, my point is: the penalties for delaying Amtrak need to be significantly increased. Those who are generally pretty good at the game, (BNSF), would not have to worry.

This might take a couple of years but I am going to make an off the wall forecast and hope I live to see it. When gas starts hovering over $5 a gallon and an airplane ticket from New York to Miami is $1,000 or better because there are only two or three airlines left account of mergers, THEN you will see megabucks devoted to long distance trains and new equipment. I would drive to the East Coast just to ride the "Florida Special" if they haven't put the Sunset back on by then !!! I might have to go build a depot in Mobile first so Amtrak can't keep wearing out that excuse for no resumption of service east of NOL.
To some degree, I want to agree with you. But the public is highly irrational, and I think that first and foremost, people will be screaming at the government to do something about the high fuel prices and to bring air and car travel back within what they consider a reasonable price range. Of course, nothing can be done, but I think you'd need a fairly progressive administration to suggest trains as the solution to the problem.

That being said, if we had such an administration I think we could see a huge improvement in service. I outlined some ideas in a previous post regarding how Amtrak could use new equipment as a highly successful marketing campaign for their services. I think this needs to be coupled with increased pressure on the freight RRs to keep trains on schedule, as well as some major infrastructure expansion projects. CSX, for instance, had expressed some interest in expanding their line along the Atlantic Coast (forgive me, I forget exactly which line it is) to be a four track grade separated line that could host high speed passenger service on the east coast and Florida. I think improved NYP-CHI times could easily be obtained with some dedicated passenger infrastructure. It would take a lot of funding, but if this country was in a crisis over fuel prices, and an administration put forward a plan that made trains and transit a centerpiece of the solution, I think it could happen.

Why I will never ride Amtrak, Horrible coustomer service, horrible experience Katie

I will never travel with Amtrak agian. My first trip, as I was traveling on your train and going from Denver CO. to East Lansing MI. My train was 5 hours off schedule, not only did I miss my connecting train from Chicago to Lansing
I would include the BNSF in that list
Maybe some of the delays was on BNSF trackage, but the CZ runs up to Denver on UP trackage, and if the CZ is 4 hours late getting to Denver, how is BNSF responsible for the delays on UP rails? :huh: (I don't know how late that CZ was, but assume it was 3 1/2 hours late to CHI - UP lost 4 hours to DEN and BNSF gained 30 minutes to CHI! Would you still include BNSF in that list? :huh: )

To some degree, I want to agree with you. But the public is highly irrational, and I think that first and foremost, people will be screaming at the government to do something about the high fuel prices and to bring air and car travel back within what they consider a reasonable price range. Of course, nothing can be done, but I think you'd need a fairly progressive administration to suggest trains as the solution to the problem.

That being said, if we had such an administration I think we could see a huge improvement in service. I outlined some ideas in a previous post regarding how Amtrak could use new equipment as a highly successful marketing campaign for their services. I think this needs to be coupled with increased pressure on the freight RRs to keep trains on schedule, as well as some major infrastructure expansion projects. CSX, for instance, had expressed some interest in expanding their line along the Atlantic Coast (forgive me, I forget exactly which line it is) to be a four track grade separated line that could host high speed passenger service on the east coast and Florida. I think improved NYP-CHI times could easily be obtained with some dedicated passenger infrastructure. It would take a lot of funding, but if this country was in a crisis over fuel prices, and an administration put forward a plan that made trains and transit a centerpiece of the solution, I think it could happen.
Lest we forget; George Bush is an oil man at heart. I don't see him blogging about high oil prices because he and his family are cashing in with the big oil companies. If the Republicans win the next election (which I feel is almost a certainty since Obama and Hillary are committed to politically murdering each other) you will never see a drop in oil prices. Sad, but very true.

I would drive to the East Coast just to ride the "Florida Special"

Florida Special?????? ;)
Yes, it was a snow bird train that only ran in the winter from NYC to Miami. They had a recreation car with models and I believe a piano at one time. It was really a first class train that fell by the wayside when the 707 starting ruling the transportation world.

Now there was one instance that NS treated the Crescent horribly. Back during the recent maintenance blitz between ATL and NOL. The SB Crescent missed its window by 20 mins, so NS proceeds to rip up about a mile of mainline track. Amtrak is stuck on the mainline between BHM and TCL for 8hrs while NS replaces ties and rail. So that meant that it took 3 sets of crew to complete one sets run. The next NB was delayed by 3 hrs because there wasn't enough time to turn, clean and restock the train. The crew schedule was thrown out of whack which meant that the effects of the delay were felt for almost a week. Other than that I haven't noticed NS deliberately making things difficult for Amtrak.
Also when I ride the Crescent we rarely have to stop for freights.
This event soulds like getting their attention. Amtrak can be their own worst enemy. I once caught the Crescent in Atlanta on a day that it originated there, and it was 20 minutes late leaving. Why? Because they did not start boarding until 10 minutes before scheduled departure and then decided to check tickets for everyone at the gate with everyone in only ONE long line.

Lest we forget; George Bush is an oil man at heart. I don't see him blogging about high oil prices because he and his family are cashing in with the big oil companies. If the Republicans win the next election (which I feel is almost a certainty since Obama and Hillary are committed to politically murdering each other) you will never see a drop in oil prices. Sad, but very true.
I am optimistic there is more and more general support for public transportation, especially rail based, and this will lead to increased funding for Amtrak and commuter rail. From coast to coast there are cities adding streetcar or light rail systems, and ridership on public transportation is up everyplace. And some places putting it in are hardly liberal enclaves...like Salt Lake City, Charlotte and Dallas. The public is even willing to pay for it...lots of systems are being funded primarily by local sales tax initiatives. Even business leaders are supporting the initiatives.

I think this is a case where public opinion has changed faster than politicians have realized. Writers on this blog have hit it on the head...write to your congresspeople. When they hear from groups who are loud and passionate and have done their homework...that's who they pay attention to.

And the large group we can loosely call the "Moronic Financial Watchdog Group" are very large and very loud when it comes to "wasting billions of dollars" on supporting a service that "only helps 20 million Americans". I personally would like to take groups like that and send them to the Atlantic fitted with cement shoes, but thats just me.

And the large group we can loosely call the "Moronic Financial Watchdog Group" are very large and very loud when it comes to "wasting billions of dollars" on supporting a service that "only helps 20 million Americans". I personally would like to take groups like that and send them to the Atlantic fitted with cement shoes, but thats just me.
Does this mean these same turkeys would be willing to forego their pet programs that help less than 20 million people? Think of all the silly, stupid, and counterporductive programs that would dissapear if this were the case.

But most of those programs aren't as visible.

Amtraks unique problem is that it is very visible to the people it is not helping. So it seems a waste.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back