On-time Records for Coast Starlight and California

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Joe Sommer

We are contemplating using AMTRAK to attend a Garden Railway National Convention in Denver in August. Based upon comments on this board, the two subject trains apparently have the top scenery for a Seattle to Denver trip. My only hesitancy to booking the trip are several "horror stories" I've read here regarding enroute delays with tardiness arriving at desination of up to 12 hours! (Admittedly not specifically related to these two routes.) In addition, "Steve 4031" stated, on 3 May, a caution to avoid certain summer dates on CZ route when Moffat Tunnel maintenance will cause rerouting. My questions : 1. What has been historic overall on-time record for thse two routes? Particularly, liklihood of making the three-hour connection window in Sacramento? Making scheduled arrival at Denver? 2. Are the dates of 5-7 August 2004 in the rerouting window? Any advice from passengers familiar with these routes would be appreciated. Joe

Hi Joe, and welcome to the forum! Amtrak's Coast Starlight and California Zephyr are both great trains, and usually run within an hour or so of their operating schedule. The connection from the Starlight to the Zephyr in Sacramento is actually a little over five hours apart so there shouldn't be any problem making the connection, and Amtrak does guarantee the connection between the two trains so they will not leave you stranded. All the Moffat Tunnel work on the California Zephyr line will be completed by July 30 so you will not have to worry about being rerouted. The train is usually on time into Denver, Colorado due to some padding in the schedule before the station, and even if not on time is usually reasonably close (1/2 hour to an hour of being on time). Hope you decide to take Amtrak to the convention and let us know how it goes. The scenery is great and the trip itself is very relaxing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back