on Empire Builder 1-9-11 from msp to chi. cp was actually nice

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PennCentralFan

Train Attendant
The EB was about 25 minutes late coming into St. Paul. Left St. Paul at about ten after eight, so we weren't too late. Now what was remarkable about this trip is that the conductor told us that there was heavy freight traffic between Red Wing and Winona. In my experience that tends to be true. It seems from Red Wing to LaCrosse the EB tends to get caught in frieght traffric.

But going back to remarkable part is that we had only one brief stop of about two minutes and get this on the way to Winona from Red Wing we passed three, yes three freights on sidings. Now I've been on the westbound EB where we waited for three freights between Winona and Red Wing.

I consider myself lucky. I never thought CP would do that for Amtrak given my experience with the EB and CP and what others have said. We made it to CHI about 20 minutes late and I caught the connecting wolverine which left on time.

Anyone else see three CP freights on sidings for amrak on the EB in any direction before? I wonder if this was just one of those things or maybe CP has changed their tune? Or did we happen to just get a controller who wasn't a jerk toward amtrak?

Dunno about the EB, but I've seen the SL and the TE passing stopped freights regularly for the past couple years now.
Left MSP westbound on 1/3 and from Minot to Havre, MT it seemed we passed a stopped freight on every siding. And during that time we never stopped or even slowed down. Maybe BNSF is just better at dispatching, or more friendly to Amtrak.

Anyone know what happened to #7(8) that lost four hours between LaCrosse and Red Wing? Looks like it turned at Spokane eventually.

Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back