On-board gps

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Finally broke down and bought a smartphone.

So I am logged on to amtrak connect WiFi on the NER, and it looks like the train tracker is giving me a pretty accurate real time location, but the speed seems to lagaybe 10-20 seconds. (We'going about 115 mph right now.)

I used a navigation app yesterday on the MARC train with a 4G connection, and it seemed like the speed readout was more responsive.

If I use the gps navigation app on the WiFi connection would I get an accurate location or speed? Or would I get the location of the nearest cellphone tower? How exactly are the nab apps and the WiFi getting their location /speed?

I think there might be a gps chip in the phone, as gps uses satellites to find you

Prior to hyper miniaturization of positioning circuitry most smart phones were stuck using cell tower triangulation for active mapping functions. This includes the original iPhone. It was slow and sluggish and not very accurate, often jumping whole blocks in seemingly random directions. These days many smart phones still retain access to fuzzy triangulation of cell and wifi access points in order to give a fast but rough initial approximation and to determine which positioning satellites are likely to be within range. As soon as the phone acquires more precise satellite coordinates the cell and wifi data will be ignored. The more satellites the phone can acquire the more accurate it will be. Some smart phones also include corrective circuitry and/or software to help improve the precision even further. The speed of updates is likely to be impacted by anything between you and the satellite and by the speed and accuracy of your phone's internal hardware. In some phones if your battery drops below a certain percentage the speed of the CPU and other chips may be reduced as they quietly transition into a battery saving mode.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have "GPS Test" on my Galaxy 4 but, I do have a Garmin GPSmap 64s which I run full time on my train trips and cruises. The Garmin track logs are used to geotag my photos when I upload to Flicker.

On my devices, which could be a 10" Asus tablet, an obsolete Samsung Galaxy Player or my recently acquired Note 4, I use GPS Test to gauge my reception, but for actual navigation or just watching my progress on a trip, I use CoPilot by ALK.

(you'll have to look it up on Google Play--pasting copied text from Internet Explorer 11 doesn't work on this forum)

One thing I like about it is that the maps are loaded on the device (2GB for US/Canada), either device memory or an SD card, so you don't use any cellular data while navigating or just watching your location. Railroads are included on the maps, and the application now places your location on the tracks if the nearest street isn't too close. Speed readouts are included, natch.

---PCJ

I've tried a cellphone (this Galaxy Note 3) against a Garmin 62ST and except for the mini screen (boo!) I'll take the Garmin anytime.

With the cellphone I've found the apps ... eccentric. But try Gaia if your looking for a recommendation. Also the Note 3 is easily shrouded and looses the GPS signal quickly, especially in a car. Train cars are bigger "cans". Ask me and I'll tell you about wandering around Omaha at night trying to navigate with this phone - not fun.

I have the Delorme kit on the way.

Since the GPS receiver has a magnet, what is the best way to put the GPS unit on the train window?
My older Earthmate does not have a magnet. It came with a suction cup that holds the wire. I just place the unit between the folding table and the window. Works fine once you get the initial lock on the satellites. The newer ones can receive more satellites at once so you should be okay anywhere near the window frame.

Prior to hyper miniaturization of positioning circuitry most smart phones were stuck using cell tower triangulation for active mapping functions. This includes the original iPhone. It was slow and sluggish and not very accurate, often jumping whole blocks in seemingly random directions. These days many smart phones still retain access to fuzzy triangulation of cell and wifi access points in order to give a fast but rough initial approximation and to determine which positioning satellites are likely to be within range. As soon as the phone acquires more precise satellite coordinates the cell and wifi data will be ignored. The more satellites the phone can acquire the more accurate it will be. Some smart phones also include corrective circuitry and/or software to help improve the precision even further. The speed of updates is likely to be impacted by anything between you and the satellite and by the speed and accuracy of your phone's internal hardware. In some phones if your battery drops below a certain percentage the speed of the CPU and other chips may be reduced as they quietly transition into a battery saving mode.
I would rather use a smartphone for my casual on board observances, then have to tote around all manner of "gear" including laptop, GPS receiver, etc....

Can you recommend the best smartphones available that would include the best attributes you described above? I currently have a Vz - Motorola Razr (the original 2011 model), and am considering upgrading to a new one....

I would rather use a smartphone for my casual on board observances, then have to tote around all manner of "gear" including laptop, GPS receiver, etc....

Can you recommend the best smartphones available that would include the best attributes you described above? I currently have a Vz - Motorola Razr (the original 2011 model), and am considering upgrading to a new one....
I find MotionX meets my limited requirements of tracking & recording speeds, so maybe check out their website and see if it lists phones that are compatible.

I find MotionX meets my limited requirements of tracking & recording speeds, so maybe check out their website and see if it lists phones that are compatible.
I was looking for an Android smartphone hardware recommendation, that app only works on I-phones, but thanks, anyway......

Hmm maybe an external antenna would work with a cellphone & app?

Anybody try this?

Apparently there's a GPS Receiver, $90.00, available on Amazon and an App. USB or Bluetooth connectivity. I'd choose USB.

My laptop kit from Delorme ($49.95) arrived yesterday.

The kit includes a suction cup.

The suction cup has a slot in it the USB cable from the receiver fits in.

(Guessing here) Earthmate and a BU-353S4 USB antenna? What tablet will you be using?

I've been using DeLORME Street Atlas USA and the GPS receiver that comes with it for over 15 years on my annual round trips on the CZ/LSL from Emeryville,CA to Buffalo,NY. The earlier GPS units (I don't remember their names) would lose their minds now and then, but since I received a BU-353 with Street Atlas USA 2012 Plus, it has worked flawlessly the entire trip. I load all of the maps onto my hard drive, so I'm set to roll anywhere in the USA. There is no need of an internet connection whatever. The side of the train I'm on does not make any difference. I generally bring a small roll of "scotch" tape along and tape the receiver to the window at about a 45 degree angle about 1/2 way up the window. I use the suction cup merely to steady the cord. I think this is likely overkill, but it's worked so well, I haven't tried any other positions.

RIchard

Hot dog! or shiver me timbers.

Got it all installed and functioning on my laptop.

I'll use it on a few car trips to become more familiar with using the Street Atlas USA 2015 software before my next train trip.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back