Oklahoma City Heartland

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

highballing

Train Attendant
Can somebody tell me what the parking situation is out at the Oklahoma City Santa Fe Depot. My Dad is gonna be driving to the depot for the first time to get on the Heartland and really has no idea as far as what the parking situation out there is. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

There is a small parking lot there. I've never seen it full, so he should be okay to park there.

Spend a gallon of gas and drive about 20 miles south to Norman. There the parking is free and since it is right across from the Cleveland County Courthouse, is safe. And the station coffee is free as well :) In OKC, the car park by the station is a clip joint that will charge about $5-10 per day!

I took this advice for a Thanksgiving trip last year, and the Norman train station was a nice place to leave and return from.

Unfortunately, the only parking I can find is a parking building 2 blocks north of the station that cost $7 per day. It is well lit and covered but wow - the cost of parking is more than my ticket. Taxi is $33 from my home and apparenly there is no shuttle parking like there is at the airport. If there is an alternative to the $7 per day, I hope someone will advise!

If there is an alternative to the $7 per day, I hope someone will advise!
If you read the replies, the alternative has already been suggested- burn a gallon of gas costing $3 and drive down to Norman instead of boarding from Oklahoma City. The parking there is free.

You can park directly adjacent to the station for $6 a day, there are lot attendants in the mornings. Sometimes skipping that half hour drive to Norman is worth the money, especially if the HF is running late coming back in to OKC.

Edited to say OKC also now has a QuikTrak machine where you can print your tickets, Norman does not.

Last edited by a moderator:
Basically, like the others have stated, the Oklahoma City parking situation is all pay. Since the Bricktown district was revitalized, all of the parking is really expensive close to the station. If you're willing to do some walking to the western side of downtown, you might find some less expensive parking.

I've always gone to Norman to catch the HF, and, while I miss about 20 miles of scenery in the OKC area, the absence of hassle in Norman is great. The parking lot is indeed right by the tracks, next to busy business area and the Courthouse. The station is remarkable in its restoration and hosts concerts and art events from time to time. Also, if you arrive before the station opens, there is a covered patio area on the north end with a scenic garden area to the north.

I've called the Airport Express taxi (blue van), and they've picked me up at my home (about 10mi outside of OKC) and taken me to the Norman train station. Although they don't typically do that, they're more than willing to travel there. These taxi drivers are super courteous and are usually a great way to start a trip.

The Norman train station does have free coffee, and there is also a great diner a few blocks east on Main Street, and I usually get a homemade egg sandwich and milk to go, just in time to catch the train.

Basically, like the others have stated, the Oklahoma City parking situation is all pay. Since the Bricktown district was revitalized, all of the parking is really expensive close to the station. If you're willing to do some walking to the western side of downtown, you might find some less expensive parking.

I've always gone to Norman to catch the HF, and, while I miss about 20 miles of scenery in the OKC area, the absence of hassle in Norman is great. The parking lot is indeed right by the tracks, next to busy business area and the Courthouse. The station is remarkable in its restoration and hosts concerts and art events from time to time. Also, if you arrive before the station opens, there is a covered patio area on the north end with a scenic garden area to the north.

I've called the Airport Express taxi (blue van), and they've picked me up at my home (about 10mi outside of OKC) and taken me to the Norman train station. Although they don't typically do that, they're more than willing to travel there. These taxi drivers are super courteous and are usually a great way to start a trip.

The Norman train station does have free coffee, and there is also a great diner a few blocks east on Main Street, and I usually get a homemade egg sandwich and milk to go, just in time to catch the train.

I guess I'm jaded, $7/day parking is still cheaper than the airport, and MUCH cheaper than a lot of airports I fly from! But if that's an issue, I guess going to Norman is the way to go. Something to be said for waiting for the train to arrive, and watcing it come in. I always liked that anyway.

Doesn't taking a taxi for 40 miles (RT) cost a lot more than paying $7 per night for overnight for a few days?

Doesn't taking a taxi for 40 miles (RT) cost a lot more than paying $7 per night for overnight for a few days?
LOL! That's definitely a point... Well, those were the few "splurge" trips, such as New Orleans, Atlanta, and Ottawa. If it's a shorter trip (in duration), I'll just drive to Norman.

As far as Norman goes, I don't know if you can leave a car there longer than a few days before it gets towed.

But....the walk down to the Diner and back makes a great prelude to the train trip, and the platform, combined with the quite straight approach track, affords a faraway view of the train's approach from both directions.

OKC has the advantage of numerous car parks nearby, as well as the elevated covered platform by the old Santa Fe station.

Last edited by a moderator:
You can park directly adjacent to the station for $6 a day, there are lot attendants in the mornings. Sometimes skipping that half hour drive to Norman is worth the money, especially if the HF is running late coming back in to OKC.

Edited to say OKC also now has a QuikTrak machine where you can print your tickets, Norman does not.
Well that is great to hear. I really hated how for so long the only way was to get your tickets mailed to you.

I've left a car at the Norman station for almost 2 weeks with no tow off risk, and a stretch of the parking area is intended for Amtrak parking, although Courthouse people and Jurors tend to poach those spots early in the morning.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back