OK Chicago experts - hotel advice - W vs. Westin

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

radsmom

Train Attendant
We have enough Starwood points to get our nights free at either the W City Center or the Westin Michigan Avenue (the other Starwood CHI hotels are booked). I have looked at the map and it seems like the W is close to Union Station (maybe close enough to walk from station) but the Westin seems like a more "family friendly" hotel in a nice area too.

Any recommendations on one vs. the other? My husband wants to stay at the W, but I am leaning toward the Westin. We also have to take a train to Midway for our return flight home.

Thanks, C.J.

I can't answer your question but I would advise you to also check the Chicago TripAdvisor forum by clicking HERE

denmarks said:
I can't answer your question but I would advise you to also check the Chicago TripAdvisor forum by clicking HERE
Thanks I did - which is what started our debate. We had booked the W, but after reading a lot of negative stuff on TripAdvisor about it I switched us to the Westin. My husband wants us to stay at the W because it seems so close to the station and in the heart of downtown (near Sears Tower, etc.). I was hoping someone here may have some experience with either hotel. If the W really is walkable from the station that is a big plus.

Thanks!

I haven't stayed in those hotels as I live in Chicago, but I can give some advice regarding the location of each hotel. The W City Center is indeed close to Union Station. That means you will be close to the Sears Tower (not much else). The Westin on Michigan Avenue is right by the John Hancock Center. That also has an observation deck. Michigan Avenue is more of a tourist area and provides a lot of shopping and restaurant options. The W City Center is in the Loop which is mostly business. I would choose the Westin because of the much better location. You can easily take a taxi there for $10 or 151 bus for $2 each person.

There's lots of transportation options on and around Michigan Avenue.

Art Institute, Symphony Center, or Millenium Park: 151 Bus

Museum Campus (Field Museum, Adler Planetarium, and Shedd Aquarium) or State St.: 146 Bus

Sears Tower and Union Station: 151 Bus

Walk to Rush Street bars and restaurants or Lake Front

Museum of Science and Industry: 10 Bus (Saturday and Sunday only, otherwise use 6 from State St.)

Chicago Transit Authority's website: www.transitchicago.com

Please let me know if you need any additional guidance.

Cheers,

David Z

Having visited Chicago several times in the past 2-3 years, I would strongly suggest the Westin, based on the location in the Michigan Avenue area. Michigan Avenue is one of those great streets where pedestrians can walk for miles and still be in a safe and interesting area. There are tons of things to do within a 10-15 minute walk or bus ride. Just a walk to the Chicago River and the Tribune Tower - fantastically lit at night - is a treat.

Enjoy your trip.

Aloha

Although my trip to Chicago Had me at a Shearaton on riverstreet it clossness to "the miracle mile" was a plus. 3/5 dollar cab ride from unionstaton and had a view of Navy pier. We had time between meeting to visit Sthe Museaum of Science and Industry, which no one who visits Chigago should miss.

Please visit my Picture galleries, link below, for some of my highlights of Chicago.

If you have time to get from the hotel to CUS and you stay on Michigan near the Hancock, you can also walk over to Navy Pier and after seeing the sights there, catch the water taxi from the pier to a stop very near CUS. If you have luggage, that would be difficult, as there are some steps to navigate near CUS. But your son might enjoy it.

I live in Chicago, and I would recommend the Westin too. It is right across the street from the Drake, a classic Chicago hotel. If you eat breakfast there early in the morning, you could get a window seat with a great view of Lake Michigan. As you walk south along Michigan, you will find the Watertower place mall, and many other great stores too. Check out Ron of Japan, a favorite restaurant of mine. Also Pizzeria Uno. Both are a 10 t0 15 minute walk from the hotel, and both offer greatt meal expereices. Ron of Japan can be expensive though, so check costs in advance.

Thanks so much for all of your input! We will stick with the Westin. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back