odds on survival???

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
S

sutton

I asked over at Trainweb: I've no idea of Amtrak's chances of surviving this crisis. Are there enough senators, etc. with clout?

What are the odds of survival? I'd love to take a big trip next October/November and hope it continues....what do you think?

I think the odds of survival are quite good. There are plenty of people in Washington on both sides of the aisle with plenty of clout and who are passionate about the fundamental truths about Amtrak's value to our transportation system. Also, you also cannot underestimate the power of the grassroots. Poll after poll shows overwhelming public support for Amtrak, even in states with minimal service and even among people who rarely ride Amtrak. Last, but not least, you have to factor in that Amtrak has more credibility under Gunn's leadership that it has had for at least a decade. Although we may not agree with Gunn on every decision he has made, there's widespread agreement that he has gotten a handle on costs and has spent dwindling amounts of money very effectively toward bringing Amtrak's assets back to good repair.

Again, I think that Amtrak will survive. Being the optimist that I am, I even have hope that this crisis will lead to some long solutions for Amtrak's future. Then again, I am an optimist.

I really hope so too! But this time it will be hard, the Bush administration seems to start a real PR campaign...

I plan 2-3 Amtrak trips this year.

1) May: Washington DC-Denver-Emeryville-LA (on a business trip - I'm a scientist working in field of digital archival of images and movies)

2) July: vacation with the family: Florida-LA-Albuquerque-Rochester-NY

3) December: NY-Austin-LA (business again)

Greetings from an Amtrak fan from Switzerland

Hey, Rosenth,

Have a great trip...or trips, I should say. Wow, three of them! :)

I love Switzerland; have a good friend in Bern. Lovely place.

If it's your first trip on the California Zephry, you'll enjoy it. Great scenery!

Have fun.

Scott

Back