Odd Booking Experience

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I quite like the LL roomettes - bathroom stench and wheel noise were never noticeable or a problem for me. You do have to be mindful that anyone on the platform at stations you stop at along the way can look right in - the windows are right at platform level. I'll often leave the outside window curtains open on the upper level when I go to sleep, so I can look out at night and have the sun wake me up in the morning, but on the LL this is a less attractive option.

When you climb under the sheets, and pull the curtains closed the roomettes are just about the same...........
Its during the day that I have questions.
Lounge and diner for daytime!

I think the upstairs/downstairs debate depends on who your neighbours are, once I was upstairs on the EB and the family bedroom was full of the most noisiest, obnoxious kids (and parent) that you could (not) hope to meet. They were loud enough from the upper level, dread to think what the lower level residents were thinking.....

More restrooms and easy shower access are plus points, as is less passing traffic.

Slightly poorer view is the main downside for me.

I quite like the LL roomettes - bathroom stench and wheel noise were never noticeable or a problem for me. You do have to be mindful that anyone on the platform at stations you stop at along the way can look right in - the windows are right at platform level. I'll often leave the outside window curtains open on the upper level when I go to sleep, so I can look out at night and have the sun wake me up in the morning, but on the LL this is a less attractive option.
That and I can't imagine wanting people at Fargo to peep in on me. Last time on a roomette on the CL I had the curtains closed for the night anyway. During the day-- no... I suppose I can open and close them at my discression I mean, not all stops will have a platform on my side of the car--

As for the lounges and diner. Of course I will take advantage of the diner-- but I never was much of a lounge person. Don't like the chairs-- and unless there is something that I have never seen before and can't see from my seat or room I tend to avoid it-- they're horrible to photograph in anyway.

Aloha

I am used to noisy environments. On my last trip on the Texas Eagle my sleeper was on the rear and I missed the sound of the horn. Most of my trips were in Bi-Level cars, with only once on the Lower Level roomette, and once in the Family room. The Family room had the most bounce and noise. The Difference in Bounce, Sway in my opinion though, is very little. Up stairs there is more sway and people noise. but not enough to cause anyone except the most sensitive people any problems. I hope to eventually get to ride in every type of sleeper, on every route. (Hope I win a lottery soon). I think the most differences are in the quality and friendliness of attendants. I have had the luck as to never had a rude, nasty Attendant, but the last one between San Antonio and LA was just barely acceptable. R Gee between Chicago and San Antonio was and incredible pleasure to have.

Is Roomette 11 on the lower level on all Superliners? I have Room 11 on the Capitol Limited from WAS to CHI. I have never been on the lower level.
Yes you will be on the lower level. The ride can be a bit smoother, and there is less foot traffic-- but the bathrooms are your neighbors. I've ridden lower level coach and had to deal with that--
While less foot traffic, the rail noise is more on the lower level as you are very close to the wheels.
if its welded rail you shouldn't hear a thing. its only on jointed rail or if the wheels have flat spots.

Is Roomette 11 on the lower level on all Superliners? I have Room 11 on the Capitol Limited from WAS to CHI. I have never been on the lower level.
Yes you will be on the lower level. The ride can be a bit smoother, and there is less foot traffic-- but the bathrooms are your neighbors. I've ridden lower level coach and had to deal with that--
While less foot traffic, the rail noise is more on the lower level as you are very close to the wheels.
if its welded rail you shouldn't hear a thing. its only on jointed rail or if the wheels have flat spots.
Not true. Even though it is welded, it is steel on steel which makes noise, especially at speed.

I hear hardly any rail noise on the upper level. I hear plenty on the lower.

That and I can't imagine wanting people at Fargo to peep in on me. Last time on a roomette on the CL I had the curtains closed for the night anyway. During the day-- no... I suppose I can open and close them at my discression I mean, not all stops will have a platform on my side of the car--
There may not be a platform on your side at some stops, but that doesn't mean that there isn't a house on your side. Most houses have backyards and windows, so you may still want to close the curtain if you're changing.

Regarding the lower level, I've been down there many times and never noticed a problematic odor from the bathrooms. You've got the outside doors, stairs and a luggage rack, all between you and the restrooms. And of course you have a door on your room to.

Turning to the reservation, anytime you book online and are forced to have the tickets mailed, if you immediately call Amtrak and tell them that you have the means to pick up the tickets at a station, the agent can change things to prevent them from being mailed to you and set them up for pickup. The key is to not let one night pass between making the reservation and calling Amtrak. If you let one night pass, then depending on just how close the trip is, the tickets may or may not have get cut that night. Once cut, there is no way to stop the mailing of the tickets.

Finally, if the train isn't too full, you could ask your attendant if there is any chance of swapping rooms. You might also inquire of him/her, if there might be a possiblity of using a coach seat for part of the day. You could also just seek out a coach attendant and ask that question of them too, as the sleeping car attendant would have to do the same for you anyhow. But I suspect that the odds of getting a yes might be a bit better if the sleeping car attendant is involved.

Anything nice about roomette 11?
I rode in Roomette 13 twice. The views are not as expansive, but the sway of the car on uneven track is less on the first level. I never encountered any bathroom smell. Track noise level is higher, but at least in that particular car, the noise was not excessive nor bothersome on the first level--and 13 is closer to the end of the car and the wheels than 11. There is less foot traffic going by which was a plus I thought.

When you climb under the sheets, and pull the curtains closed the roomettes are just about the same...........
Its during the day that I have questions.
Lounge and diner for daytime!

I think the upstairs/downstairs debate depends on who your neighbours are, once I was upstairs on the EB and the family bedroom was full of the most noisiest, obnoxious kids (and parent) that you could (not) hope to meet. They were loud enough from the upper level, dread to think what the lower level residents were thinking.....

More restrooms and easy shower access are plus points, as is less passing traffic.

Slightly poorer view is the main downside for me.
I've never had restroom odor issues using LL. One plus at station stops, all that fresh air rushes in to freshen and cool the enviroment.

Another, a few steps and I'm outside at every stop allowed (I often time my meals around this).

But, other plusses UL from PDX on the EB. Their sleepers for the entire trip are the last two cars all the way. Last time I took it I was in #7 of the last car with 8 occupied - 9 and 10 were vacant. It was like living on a dead-end street with a neighbor across the way; and a few steps from watching the scenery from a different viewpoint from the rear door window as the tracks slide by.

I've never had restroom odor issues using LL. One plus at station stops, all that fresh air rushes in to freshen and cool the enviroment.Another, a few steps and I'm outside at every stop allowed (I often time my meals around this).

But, other plusses UL from PDX on the EB. Their sleepers for the entire trip are the last two cars all the way. Last time I took it I was in #7 of the last car with 8 occupied - 9 and 10 were vacant. It was like living on a dead-end street with a neighbor across the way; and a few steps from watching the scenery from a different viewpoint from the rear door window as the tracks slide by.
You may wanna re-read my original post. I am on #7 to SEA. The PDX section suffers from high buckets b/c of supply and demand. If I want a room it is nearly $300 cheaper if I go to SEA and take the Cascades down to PDX, including the cost of the Cascades train.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back