October 2017 Southwest Chief Derailment

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brianpmcdonnell17

Conductor
Train 04 (04) has hit a boulder and derailed near Watrous, NM. The conductor was the only person on the train injured and it appears as though only the lead locomotive derailed. The article mentions passengers being bussed away from the scene but did not mention whether they are being brought to their destinations by bus or are being accommodated in the area for now.

http://krqe.com/2017/10/05/amtrak-train-carrying-580-passengers-derails-in-mora-county/

Sent from my SM-J327P using Amtrak Forum mobile app

For the record, only the lead engine is on the ground. And is it a conductor or the engineer that got injured? I would imagine the engineer is more likely to sustain injury since the engine went on the ground and no passenger cars.

For the record, only the lead engine is on the ground. And is it a conductor or the engineer that got injured? I would imagine the engineer is more likely to sustain injury since the engine went on the ground and no passenger cars.
The article states it was conductor that was injured, but given that only the lead engine derailed and the fact that news articles have a spotty history of using railroad terms correctly, I would not be surprised to learn that it was actually the engineer instead of the conductor that was injured.
Sent from my SM-J327P using Amtrak Forum mobile app

Last edited by a moderator:
I see this morning that #4 (4) is sitting in Raton, NM. Wondering if they bused passengers from Watrous to Raton and put them up for the night until they could get the train moving again and is now picking up those passengers in Raton. Pure speculation on my part but the train is now 14.5 hours late according to the train tracker site.

I see this morning that #4 (4) is sitting in Raton, NM. Wondering if they bused passengers from Watrous to Raton and put them up for the night until they could get the train moving again and is now picking up those passengers in Raton. Pure speculation on my part but the train is now 14.5 hours late according to the train tracker site.
Apparently they are bringing a BNSF unit from Trinidad to help pull the train back to Chicago. (Trainorders quote this morning)

Back