Obsolete Superliner Features

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It still isn't legal to smoke onboard, no matter what is in the pipe.
Marijuana doesn't always come in smokable forms. I can't find this issue addressed on the Amtrak website, but from a practical standpoint, it will be nearly impossible to enforce a hypothetical ban on edible marijuana products, especially those consumed in private accommodations. Even in coach, a marijuana brownie wouldn't stand out as contraband unless the consumer drew attention to his or herself.
That's why I didn't say anything about edibles.
It wasn't clear to me that you were aware of edibles, since you responded to a question of how Amtrak plans to deal with Colorado passengers who use marijuana on the train by simply saying that smoking is illegal regardless of the substance. Obviously that's true but it didn't really answer the question.
The use is legal in the state of Colorado, by state law, but is still illegal by federal law. Since Amtrak is an interstate carrier, federal law is enforced. It is illegal to carry it out of state - that's the reason it's sale is banned at Denver International Airport.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nobody would force you to watch it.

It'd be great to have more amenities available onboard, it's much easier to take the train when you're not cut off from the world while you're onboard.
As I mentioned a previous topic I don't see Amtrak installing monitors in the back of headrests. It's not the current trend in the transportation industry.

I do see them going the route of Southwest Airlines and Greyhound and installing a system where users can watch live TV or server-based video on the laptops or iPads they bring with them simply by connecting to the trains WiFi system. It would be up to Amtrak if they choose to offer cellular or satellite based on that same system.

The beauty of using one of these "bring your own device" systems is that you get all the profit of selling the content without the costs associated with maintaining 70 personal TVs in each car.
And see a view from a camera in the front of the train? Wouldn't that be nice.

I for one hope Amtrak never puts in Satellite TV on trains. A train trip is relaxing and you can get up and move thru out the train. On a plane you mainly stay in your seat. To me, the best show on a train is out the window. And on a train your much more likely to :eek: talk to other travelers :eek: !
I agree. In the Words of the Wise, with modern punctuation added-- "Be. Here. Now."

No better place for that than a long-distance train!

The use is legal in the state of Colorado, by state law, but is still illegal by federal law. Since Amtrak is an interstate carrier, federal law is enforced. It is illegal to carry it out of state - that's the reason it's sale is banned at Denver International Airport.
Furthermore, even if federal law were to change at some point, the fact that something is legal does not automatically make it legal anywhere and under all circumstances. Consuming alcohol is legal for example, but there are nevertheless numerous places and conditions under which it is not toleratied.

I'm also not sure whether it is accurate that federal law is the only law on Amtrak trains. I once tried to order a beer on the Crescent and the attendant told me that seeing it was Sunday and we were in Mississippi and crossing several dry counties, sales of alcoholic beverages was suspended.

I'm also not sure whether it is accurate that federal law is the only law on Amtrak trains. I once tried to order a beer on the Crescent and the attendant told me that seeing it was Sunday and we were in Mississippi and crossing several dry counties, sales of alcoholic beverages was suspended.
And here a miscreant is arraigned in state district court, not federal court, for assaulting an Amtrak conductor. I'm sure that with different laws there are different jurisdictions, and I notice that the legal basis for DIA's pot ban is Colorado law, not federal law:

Amendment 64 made marijuana legal in Colorado but also states that any "entity who occupies, owns or controls a property" can prohibit "the possession, consumption, use, display, transfer, distribution, sale, transportation, or growing of marijuana on or in that property,"

In practice, though, you can do pretty much anything you want in a sleeping compartment, as long as the door is closed and you're discrete. My sister has shot up with drugs in a bedroom on the City of New Orleans. Sure, the drug she injected was Copaxone, a prescription medicine, but still.

Now instead of a 5-hour red-eye think of this on a LD overnight train in coach. Eye masks help, but not entirely (IME).
Use a pair of horse blinders?

full-page-fax-print.jpg

Shoe shining ended when Amtrak hired its own service crews and stopped using employees of the rail companies. That was a service offered by Pullman...the doors remain in the heritage equipment, but were not used. No shoe-shine doors were ever ordered [to my knowledge anyhow] on any of the Superliner or Viewliner cars.

Furthermore, even if federal law were to change at some point, the fact that something is legal does not automatically make it legal anywhere and under all circumstances. Consuming alcohol is legal for example, but there are nevertheless numerous places and conditions under which it is not toleratied.

trains are subject to the laws of the States they are in at the time....

Shoe shining ended when Amtrak hired its own service crews and stopped using employees of the rail companies. That was a service offered by Pullman...the doors remain in the heritage equipment, but were not used. No shoe-shine doors were ever ordered [to my knowledge anyhow] on any of the Superliner or Viewliner cars.
The Superliner I deluxe bedrooms had them, and those arrived after Amtrak had taken over the service crews. I don't know if the service was actually offered, if it was, it was for a very short time.

Maybe it was because the Superliner Is were built by Pullman-Standard...

In terms of the music control channels I road a Superliner II the other night on the Sunset Limited from LA to Tucson and was getting annoyed by the barrage of announcements as we left Los Angeles and all I wanted to do was fall asleep. Our attendant came on just for our car and made far too long an announcement incluing asking us to set the Cannel on the headset to channel 1 so we could hear all the important announcements. Needless to say I set mine to Channel 2 and 3 that made everything much quieter although I could still here everything (at a nice quiet volume) from the hall.

That TV screen is about as small as the Sony Watchman and the small size of the screen killed that system as no one could see it, especially if you were trying to watch a ballgame on it. I remember when they had tube TVs and a VCR in the cubby at the end of the Sightseer Lounge and would spin up a grainy movie at night with tinny audio. I also recall taped music in the Diner the first time I rode a Superliner back in the 80s. I also remember the tape dragging making the music sound like a Clowder of Fighting Cats :)
IIRC, the original SSL had three video monitor's....one at each end of the upper level, plus one in the lower level. They were controlled from a cabinet in the lower level near the entrance door. They had a fairly expensive Studer Revox digital radio receiver, and other equipment.

That TV screen is about as small as the Sony Watchman and the small size of the screen killed that system as no one could see it, especially if you were trying to watch a ballgame on it. I remember when they had tube TVs and a VCR in the cubby at the end of the Sightseer Lounge and would spin up a grainy movie at night with tinny audio. I also recall taped music in the Diner the first time I rode a Superliner back in the 80s. I also remember the tape dragging making the music sound like a Clowder of Fighting Cats :)
IIRC, the original SSL had three video monitor's....one at each end of the upper level, plus one in the lower level. They were controlled from a cabinet in the lower level near the entrance door. They had a fairly expensive Studer Revox digital radio receiver, and other equipment.
I recall the movies they would show in the SSL in the evenings, & in the morning -- sometimes cartoons. I think on this last trip on #6 I 'suddenly' recalled that there was not the video monitor up in that cubby . . . I prefer it that way. Also, now that I travel sleeper, if it's dark I prefer to be in my room w/the lights out so I can see out the window better. I believe that you are correct, 2 monitors up top, one down on lower level.

The only 'downside' is that if there's an on-board guide -- sometimes they'd show a video at the end of their presentation (I recall perhaps on the SWC?).

The Superliner I deluxe bedrooms had them, and those arrived after Amtrak had taken over the service crews. I don't know if the service was actually offered, if it was, it was for a very short time.
I wonder if even high-end players such as Pullman Rail Journeys offer shoe shining these days. I guess not.

As I recall, Amtrak continued the practice in the Heritage cars when it had its own people; I can recall them mentioning it as a service in the schedules. However, I am not sure the attendants would always actually provide the service. I can't recall seeing these compartments on Superliners.

I wonder if even high-end players such as Pullman Rail Journeys offer shoe shining these days. I guess not.
I rode them and don't recall them offering it or the rooms having shoe compartments.

Last time I rode in a super liner room, I noticed a small box next to the vent in the ceiling, on the door side.

Any idea what that does?

Reading this thread has been entertaining. It just goes to show how much rail travel has changed during the Amtrak period. What would be nice if Amtrak would go to the headset satellite TV's that many airliners offer. On a long coast to coast rail trip it would certainly serve to make the trip more pleasant. I really miss news, reality and sports events while riding Amtrak. On this years trip to Seattle I am hoping to get 4G internet service on at least 35% of the trip but that might be a stretch. Is anyone familiar with how cell service is on the EB route?
AT&T, for one cell phone service provider, has a map of their 4G data coverage at http://www.att.com/maps/wireless-coverage.html

It looks to me as though most of the EB route is covered by AT&T 4G service, except for parts of central Montana, and certain mountainous areas in western Montana, Idaho, and Washington.

I would assume that other wireless carriers have similar coverage maps on their websites.

Reading this thread has been entertaining. It just goes to show how much rail travel has changed during the Amtrak period. What would be nice if Amtrak would go to the headset satellite TV's that many airliners offer. On a long coast to coast rail trip it would certainly serve to make the trip more pleasant. I really miss news, reality and sports events while riding Amtrak. On this years trip to Seattle I am hoping to get 4G internet service on at least 35% of the trip but that might be a stretch. Is anyone familiar with how cell service is on the EB route?
AT&T, for one cell phone service provider, has a map of their 4G data coverage at http://www.att.com/maps/wireless-coverage.html
It looks to me as though most of the EB route is covered by AT&T 4G service, except for parts of central Montana, and certain mountainous areas in western Montana, Idaho, and Washington.

I would assume that other wireless carriers have similar coverage maps on their websites.
Either they've done an amazing job building out their network, or the map isn't all that accurate. Our AT&T service was near-worthless when we took it in 2010.

That is almost 4 years ago (where has the time gone?), so I suspect the former.

Last time I rode in a super liner room, I noticed a small box next to the vent in the ceiling, on the door side.

Any idea what that does?
NSA data-recording device?
That is the inside part where you would have put your shoes (in superliner I's.) I think when they were rebuilt the doors were blanked in on the hallway side, but the cubby remained inside the closet.

Might have missed it, but I didn't see any mention of the heat controls in the sleeper rooms. Are any of them still connected to anything? My general feeling Is that the Viewliners have more controllable heat/ventilation than the Superliners.

Any idea what that does?
That is the inside part where you would have put your shoes (in superliner I's.) I think when they were rebuilt the doors were blanked in on the hallway side, but the cubby remained inside the closet.
Er...no...no one ever put their shoes into a small box on the ceiling. I suspect what is being referred to is a metallic box about 1x2 inches in size, with some perforations on it somewhere. That is connected to your car's temperature controls; in fact, each room normally has one, as it is the actual thermometer. They don't always work, but they shouldn't ever be blocked by duct tape, curtains, luggage, etc.

Any idea what that does?
Er...no...no one ever put their shoes into a small box on the ceiling. I suspect what is being referred to is a metallic box about 1x2 inches in size, with some perforations on it somewhere. That is connected to your car's temperature controls; in fact, each room normally has one, as it is the actual thermometer. They don't always work, but they shouldn't ever be blocked by duct tape, curtains, luggage, etc.
Actually, that box is a thermistor, a resistor that changes value with temperature. It is part of the floor heat control system, it will turn the heat control box on or off relative to the value selected on the heat control knob.

PS Yes the Superliner I's did have a shoe box accessible from the corridor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back