Observation Car Management

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SUTTONK11

Train Attendant
Having just completed a extended train trip around the country, I must say that I was appalled at the lack of management of almost every observation car. On virtually every train it was difficult to find a seat because people were taking 2 and 3 seats for their laptops, backpacks, food, etc. and, if there was an attendent, he did nothing. There was an obnoxious drunkfest on one train and nothing was done. In Williams, AZ I got on the train at 4:45 in the morning and decided to go to the observation car to watch the sunrise. Good luck, people sleeping most of the seats, sleepingbags rolled out on the floor, people using the unattended bar to shave and brew coffee with their own coffeemakers! Amtrak has got to do a better job especially if they are not going to use parlor cars for firstclass passengers on trains.

Last edited by a moderator:
Having just completed a extended train trip around the country, I must say that I was appalled at the lack of management of almost every observation car. On virtually every train it was difficult to find a seat because people were taking 2 and 3 seats for their laptops, backpacks, food, etc. and, if there was an attendent, he did nothing. There was an obnoxious drunkfest on one train and nothing was done. In Williams, AZ I got on the train at 4:45 in the morning and decided to go to the observation car to watch the sunset. Good luck, people sleeping most of the seats, sleepingbags rolled out on the floor, people using the unattended bar to shave and brew coffee with their own coffeemakers! Amtrak has got to do a better job especially if they are not going to use parlor cars for firstclass passengers on trains.
Did you discuss it with a conductor on the train, call/write Amtrak in Washington?

haha!

It's a hard thing to do... where do you draw the line and say something? Since seating is kinda first come first served its kind of tricky. Several times on the Crescent me and a friend will take up a booth.. technically 4 seats... just chatting and haveing a drink.. I mean thats what the lounge is for? Should an attendant be able to tell us to leave cause some people are ordering alot of food and we are taking up there space where they could eat? Now granted, if its real busy I will generally do that automatically but what I'm saying is it's a fine line when it's "First-Come" Seating.

Certainly some of the things that you mentioned should never really be allowed... but like I said its a fine line.

Frankly, the sightseer lounge car usage tends to vary from train to train, so I'd caution against lumping the whole system together and saying that it's a problem system-wide. That said, I know what you're talking about, and to be honest, I've never had a problem getting the car "righted" by just finding the conductor (any staff member on board can help you with that if he's not in eyesight) and making mention of the problem. Heck, I've even been on the receiving end of a "please clear that seat, sir" comment from a conductor, and didn't mind a bit: I was on the California Zephyr last week and had my laptop sitting on the seat next o me in that car. The conductor noticed and nicely said, "just in case the car fills up, make sure you free that seat up, too. For now, you're fine, though." I think you'll find most people will react kindly to the conductor's advice, and even if they don't, they'll heed it one way or another.

-Rafi

haha!
It's a hard thing to do... where do you draw the line and say something? Since seating is kinda first come first served its kind of tricky. Several times on the Crescent me and a friend will take up a booth.. technically 4 seats... just chatting and haveing a drink.. I mean thats what the lounge is for? Should an attendant be able to tell us to leave cause some people are ordering alot of food and we are taking up there space where they could eat? Now granted, if its real busy I will generally do that automatically but what I'm saying is it's a fine line when it's "First-Come" Seating.

Certainly some of the things that you mentioned should never really be allowed... but like I said its a fine line.

On the Zephyr and on the Southwest Limited we had coach passengers who, ate slept, and lived in the lounge the entire trip with never a mention from any on board member. I agree that the lounge should be for all, but at some point it needs to be what it is, an featured car for enjoyment, not living and sleeping in to avoid the crowd in the coach, which is what most of them paid a fare for. I also agree the first class lounge needs to come back, but system wide i doubt we will ever see it.

haha!

On the Zephyr and on the Southwest Limited we had coach passengers who, ate slept, and lived in the lounge the entire trip with never a mention from any on board member. I agree that the lounge should be for all, but at some point it needs to be what it is, an featured car for enjoyment, not living and sleeping in to avoid the crowd in the coach, which is what most of them paid a fare for. I also agree the first class lounge needs to come back, but system wide i doubt we will ever see it.
Oh yes.. for sure there are lines that are crossed, it is somewhat amazing to me what people attempt these days! I am honestly surprised that Amtrak allows anyone to sleep in the lounges, but who am I to say they shouldn't. But I do agree that the Conductors could be monitoring the lounge a bit more.

As for 1st Class lounges.. I agree.. I would love to see them as well... perhaps if the Coast Starlight car can prove it can break even (or at least come close?) we may see a few more of them.

As for 1st Class lounges.. I agree.. I would love to see them as well... perhaps if the Coast Starlight car can prove it can break even (or at least come close?) we may see a few more of them.
Does Amtrak have the equipment to do this?

Does Amtrak have the equipment to do this?
They will if they use Sightseers they took off of trains like CON and and Eagle... personally I kinda think the Parlor car on the Starlight is more of a test then we think. Imagine a train like the Capitol Limited having 2 Food Service cars.. 1 Cross Country Cafe for Coach Passengers, and 1 First Class "Parlor" car for Sleeping Passengers. Both cars would serve as diners and lounges for there respective classes of passengers.

Just a hunch though...

I've been on the CZ only once where I thought the Sightseer Lounge car had been turned into a "hostel on rails" emporium . It was the CZ that was running 12 hours late due to flooding in CO. So I don't know if they got lax or what. But I came in the SSLC to find a seat and it looked like a college frat party had been in thier the night before. People slung all over seats like they had drank themselves to sleep, place was full of crap etc. But that was only once. The problem I have encountered the most with the SSLC is people who park thier rears for 12 hours in one seat and NEVER move. (do they have a diaper on ?!?) :angry: And it always seems to be the rail tours. I would think the tour guide or tour operator would say something about "camping in the SSLC" but it never seems to happen.

This really just highlights the real problem with this country.....the absolute erosion of standards and courtesy. Sure, back in the 50's there were problem passengers. But I can surely assure you that people wouldn't have just used the train as their living room back then. It always amazes me how people just leave rubbish about in the restrooms on the trains. Sad. If everyone would just take a moment and pick up after themselves.......

Good ol Inconsiderate America........we are doomed :eek:

This all reminds me of my honeymoon trip... We took the train from SLC to Reno... they had apparently overbooked the train in a major way. So there are NO seats anywhere. The attendent puts us and a number of other SLC boarders in the dinning car.... My wife and I ended up sleeping on the floor. I had just gotten to sleep when some girl who was sleeping on the seat above me rolls out of the seats and onto my head...

Oh what a trip. We did get breakfast before anyone else though... :)

There is nothing wrong with sleeping in the lounge car- at night, anyway.
It depends on your definition of "wrong". You are correct that there is nothing wrong with sleeping in the lounge car as far as any Amtrak rules I have seen although there should be. I agree with MStrain that simple human courtesy is quickly coming to be a thing of the past; it already has if anything that there is no rule or law governing is o.k. or not wrong.

I mean, if its day time, its time to wake up and consolidate your space usage. But at night, how is there a problem with that?

I think its the flippant attitude of "I paid for a ticket so I can do anything I want on this train.....others needs and space be darned". The lounge car is for that, lounging...not living in. There is a difference in what GML is talking about though. Seeing his other posts and knowing he is considerate of others, I know he is meaning just sleeping in the lounge around 1 or 2 in the AM when all weary mortals should be at rest. He is the low impact kind of guy that would not be imposing on others space and not what I am thinking of. There are others, however, who would have all of their stuff strewn about and treating coach and the lounge car like a sleeping room. Recently I was on the CONO and some punk (I say this because he was acting that way, not the way he looked....I don't prejudge) was talking VERY loudly on his cellphone. If I make a phonecall from the train, I excuse myself to the vestibule. Neither myself nor my travel companions really cared to hear about his purchasing of an AK47, a few boxes of bullets and the rest of his expletive filled conversation. We just looked at him reproachingly but he cared not. Its that type of "the world is my house, you're just passing through" attitude that must stop.

Not just with train travel, but Americans need to start being more considerate of each other in all areas of life. Giving up seats on buses and subways for the elderly, afflicted and pregnant women. Holding doors open for others who are carrying a large load. I saw the best side of human nature after Katrina when folks from all over the country drove down to little ol poor Mississippi and helped us out. I know we can do better than we have been doing lately.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back