OBS Training in DC...

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tallguy

Train Attendant
Any OBS crew based in DC on this board? I start my first training day in DC on Nov 1st for the Chicago run (not sure which train though) and am wondering what to expect during training. Is all of the training going to be handled in DC? Wilmington? If its in Wilmington, does Amtrak overnight you there? Thanks in advanced!

Unless things have changed, and who knows with Amtrak, but with most firms, if they require you to travel, or overnight on company business, then you can usually count on them taking care of the transportation, meal voucher, and lodging. There are exceptions of course, but those are usually spelled out in your employment contract.

Welcome aboard! And remember the mantra, (that has been so sorely forgotten at Amtrak) "The customer is ALWAYS right" (even when they are wrong)

Also, as with any company, you will run into fellow employees who will show you how to "cut corners" (closing cafe early as an example, or not making beds for customers, or not helping with luggage, yada, yada, yada) DON'T LISTEN, politely pretend to listen, and then do your job as you have been instructed, and serve your customers how You would like to be served.

There are many, many, many fine, and even excellent employees at Amtrak. Unfortunately we only usually hear about the bad apples. Be a shining star.

There, I'll get off my soapbox now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Great post! I would add to that an invitation to stick around here. It'll be good professional development for you (and help line your pockets with better tips) to know what people like and dislike about service onboard the trains. Also, your understanding of why things are the way that they are would be pretty valuable information for us to have.

1st of all welcome aboard amtrak. congrats on ur new career. it will be fill with ups and downs. Now since you will be base out of dc (u didnt say you working lsa or ta/sa or fs or even chef cause they were looking for food specailist and lsa) you will be working captial limited and yes sometimes cardial (only nyp has the lounge/diner ad sleepers). you will be get lots training trips on train.

once again welcome and i look forward to seeing in chicago or dc (i work out of new york on lakeshore but sometimes i work 51/50, 19/20 and north east corridor)

Unless things have changed, and who knows with Amtrak, but with most firms, if they require you to travel, or overnight on company business, then you can usually count on them taking care of the transportation, meal voucher, and lodging. There are exceptions of course, but those are usually spelled out in your employment contract.

Welcome aboard! And remember the mantra, (that has been so sorely forgotten at Amtrak) "The customer is ALWAYS right" (even when they are wrong)

Also, as with any company, you will run into fellow employees who will show you how to "cut corners" (closing cafe early as an example, or not making beds for customers, or not helping with luggage, yada, yada, yada) DON'T LISTEN, politely pretend to listen, and then do your job as you have been instructed, and serve your customers how You would like to be served.

There are many, many, many fine, and even excellent employees at Amtrak. Unfortunately we only usually hear about the bad apples. Be a shining star.

There, I'll get off my soapbox now.
Its just a matter of treating peeps the way you would like to be treated IMHO!

1st of all welcome aboard amtrak. congrats on ur new career. it will be fill with ups and downs. Now since you will be base out of dc (u didnt say you working lsa or ta/sa or fs or even chef cause they were looking for food specailist and lsa) you will be working captial limited and yes sometimes cardial (only nyp has the lounge/diner ad sleepers). you will be get lots training trips on train.

once again welcome and i look forward to seeing in chicago or dc (i work out of new york on lakeshore but sometimes i work 51/50, 19/20 and north east corridor)
I don't think I'm LSA, could be one of the others though. My offer letter just states OBS trainee.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back