OBS Trainee Questions

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello, I'm trying to decide whether to accept a job offer to be an OBS Trainee out of Chicago. I'm married and the extra board life might be too difficult for my spouse. So to give me a realistic view of things, here are a couple questions for those in the know:

1) I know you are promised 48 hours of rest time when you return to Chicago, and then you're on call. Does that usually pan out to 3-4 days rest time, or is it safe to say you will be getting back on a train after 48 hours?

2) You're guaranteed 180 hours per month. If you hit and surpass that 180 mark during a trip, then can you turn down future trips for the rest of the month? Or are you required to keep working runs (albeit with OT)? How many hours should I actually expect?

3) They say be prepared to be away from home 8-10 days at a time. How often is that? Just when a train is severely delayed? I would think the longest trips are 5-7 days round trip. Would most trips fall into a 3-5 day span?

4) Does anyone know if Amtrak hires Seasonal OBS positions? I'd feel better trying out the lifestyle for a season first. I guess I could accept the job with the mindset of leaving in 6 months if it's too much for my marriage, but I'd rather not take a spot of a candidate that can for sure make it work (like someone who's single).

I know the recruiters say things get better if you can stick out the extra-board years, but 5 years on extra-board seems like a recipe for divorce (at least in my case).

Thanks for your help!!!

1) There is no specific answer, as both scenarios are possible. It all depends on how much manpower is available in Chicago.

2) You are required to work all hours required in a given month. It could be 200 hours, 225, 250. All depends on the answer in question one.

3) Assuming you are applying for coach/sleeper attendant or dining car waiter (as opposed to Lead Service Attendant) your trips will usually be either 4 day or six days. If LSA, it could be 2 day, 3 day etc. Very unusual to be away more than one extra day on either 4 or 6 day trip.

4) I don't think they have hired seasonal employees in several years.

Your last sentence is very accurate, it takes an understanding Spouse/Partner to make it work. You will NEVER be home on major Holidays, be forewarned...LOL

Let me know any other questions. I spent 30 years onboard.

1) There is no specific answer, as both scenarios are possible. It all depends on how much manpower is available in Chicago.

2) You are required to work all hours required in a given month. It could be 200 hours, 225, 250. All depends on the answer in question one.

3) Assuming you are applying for coach/sleeper attendant or dining car waiter (as opposed to Lead Service Attendant) your trips will usually be either 4 day or six days. If LSA, it could be 2 day, 3 day etc. Very unusual to be away more than one extra day on either 4 or 6 day trip.

4) I don't think they have hired seasonal employees in several years.

Your last sentence is very accurate, it takes an understanding Spouse/Partner to make it work. You will NEVER be home on major Holidays, be forewarned...LOL

Let me know any other questions. I spent 30 years onboard.
Thanks for your answers!

I think you might be better off trying for an Assistant Conductor position, if your seeking working on a train, and being away from home is a big issue. Most of them are either home every night, or maybe away for only one night or two nights, at most...

Back