OBS Photos Posted on Social Media

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

haolerider

Conductor
Here is a question for current & former OBS employees. How do you feel about passengers posting your pictures and names on social media? Invasion of privacy? Potential for stalking?

I am not one of the employees, but I tried to take a photo of my very excellent car attendant last night and she rather strongly indicated that she did not want her picture taken, saying she looked a mess. That was not the case, but I respected her wishes.

I was very rarely asked. Passengers were probably afraid of breaking the camera. It was a situational thing. I wasn't nuts about it but often consented, especially when kids were involved, or when the passenger was somebody that I had met before & developed a professional relationship with. This also happened with first-time riders, and I always liked to accommodate them as much as possible. I was always afraid that there would be something wrong with my image & the picture might reflect Amtrak in a poor light. When you're busy working, you don't always realize your hair is mussed up, for example. I was never really worried about stalkers, but I can understand that some OBS employees --- especially women --- might have that concern.

Bottom line: it's an individual thing, and it's situational.

Tom

I have a few pictures of OBS on my blog. I asked them if they would pose for a picture for my blog, and they agreed. I think I have two selfies of me and OBS (we are posing together) so I don't see how they could get in trouble for that.

I try not to post pictures of people without their permission.

OBS are in public view, except when they are in their sleeper berth.

It's tantamount to being out on the street.

Consequently, OBS can have no reasonable expectation of privacy outside their private room.

Their photo can pretty much be used for any editorial purpose, and some editorial purposes include the photographer making money from the photo.

Making money from a photo(s) is not always a commercial use.

On my last train trip I made photos of several OBS while we were stopped at a variety of stations.The OBS were incidental to the primary subject matter of the photos.

My TA-SC, Curtis, and an unknown passenger:

GlenwoodSprings.jpg

Looking towards the front of the train:

GlenwoodSpringsStation.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back