NYT article - The Quiet Car

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Two members posted this about the same time. They each had some comments about the article, so I merged them together to keep every's comments in the thread.

While the article really uses the quiet car as a vehicle to rant about noise levels in our society, I can relate. There was that time in the 'Quiet Car' when someone sitting close to me was listening to music at a high volume without headphones - and the conductor ambled by and was quiet. :eek:

Or maybe that is what is meant by a Quiet Car? :huh:

:angry:

Quiet cars are found on Corridor trains. On long distance train an announcement is usually made to be considerate with phones and talking and at night to take the phone to the lounge car. i have not ridden coach on a long distance train recently. but there has never been a Quiet Car to my observation on these trains. I have a loud voice, being a singer, and a number of years ago was on a commuter train talking on the phone to a friend about my next trip. I thought I was being discreet, but one man got off and wished me a good vacation. These days, other than a very brief conversation, I take my phone elsewhere.

Both links don't work for me, but I think that it would be really useful to have a properly enforced Quiet Car on LD trains, I think it's even more important than on SD trains. Many people still disturb other pax and don't go to the Lounge.

The problem with LD trains is that seats are assigned at boarding. The only way that could work is by adding a coach and selling extra seats in there. Then where do you put it? On trains like the Crescent where longer-distance passengers are in the rear cars, and close after Atlanta, putting it on the end won't work. That leaves putting it between the coaches and cafe, or cafe or diner. That wouldn't work too well because the foot traffic would defeat the entire purpose of the car.

The problem with LD trains is that seats are assigned at boarding. The only way that could work is by adding a coach and selling extra seats in there. Then where do you put it? On trains like the Crescent where longer-distance passengers are in the rear cars, and close after Atlanta, putting it on the end won't work. That leaves putting it between the coaches and cafe, or cafe or diner. That wouldn't work too well because the foot traffic would defeat the entire purpose of the car.
You could just make an existing coach the Quiet Car.

You could just make an existing coach the Quiet Car.
But you still have the issues of seating being assigned at boarding (at minimum, the conductor or attendant directs coach passengers to a specific car.) Especially on LD trains, conductors will group people going to the same destination together in order to make it easier to find them when it's time to disembark. This is important at night when people are sleeping, but passengers still need to be woken and disembarked/re-embarked.

There's no easy way to provide a "quiet car" aboard a long distance coach, nor do I see much need for one. The coach sections are usually relatively quiet anyways; people who are loud tend to make their way to the lounge car anyways. Perhaps making one lower-level seating section a "quiet area" (for Superliners, anyways) could work during the day, but that seems like wasted space.

There's no easy way to provide a "quiet car" aboard a long distance coach, nor do I see much need for one. The coach sections are usually relatively quiet anyways; people who are loud tend to make their way to the lounge car anyways.
There has been annoyingly loud talking and activity on LD trains I've been on - in particular the LSL. I am not suggesting a quiet car be provided, but I do wish that the car attendants would do a better job of making people shut up after 10 pm.

Being in New York for the holiday, I picked up yesterday's New York Times and saw the article. I agree that it is more a rant about ambient noise in public places, and uses Amtrak's quiet cars as a case in point of a place that is essentially a last refuge of quiet--most of the time.

Last edited by a moderator:
There are times when people have long cell phone conversations in the coaches which can be annoying. Encouraging those people to move to the lounge car at all hours might be helpful.

The problem with LD trains is that seats are assigned at boarding.
So maybe we start assigning them at purchase like most airlines do. I'd love that, especially if it allowed me to chose the side of the track I wanted. Ideally the next version of Amtrak sleepers would be setup with electronic room numbers that could move around depending on the orientation of the cars and trains with two sleepers would have one sleeper in each orientation so that no reorienting would be required.

The only way that could work is by adding a coach and selling extra seats in there.
I've got an idea. Why not simply make every car but the lounge car a "quiet car?" Works for me. ^_^

Foot traffic would defeat the entire purpose of the car.
I don't think anyone is expecting library levels of sound. Just some honest effort to be reasonably quiet in an era of endless noise pollution.

But you still have the issues of seating being assigned at boarding. Especially on LD trains, conductors will group people going to the same destination together in order to make it easier to find them when it's time to disembark.
Not if we stop assigning the seats at boarding. Who else does that? You can't assign the seat you want at booking but you also can't just sit wherever you want at boarding time. It's kind of absurd when you think about it.

This is important at night when people are sleeping, but passengers still need to be woken and disembarked/re-embarked.
Wait, what? Who needs to be woken up to be "re-embarked?" What does that even mean? :wacko:

There's no easy way to provide a "quiet car" aboard a long distance coach, nor do I see much need for one. The coach sections are usually relatively quiet anyways; people who are loud tend to make their way to the lounge car anyways.
I can certainly understand why you would think there's no easy way to fix a problem you remain convinced never existed.

The problem with LD trains is that seats are assigned at boarding.
So maybe we start assigning them at purchase like most airlines do. I'd love that, especially if it allowed me to chose the side of the track I wanted.
Still wouldn't help all the time. Yes, if the train is always turned by using a wye or a loop track, you'd know which side your seat would be on; assuming that Amtrak first orientated all cars in the same direction. However, if a train were to be turned by turning the seats, then the right hand seat you thought you had booked would instead be a left hand seat.

and trains with two sleepers would have one sleeper in each orientation so that no reorienting would be required.
Huh? :unsure:

Other than making extra work for switching crews, I see no advantage to this.

I especially appreciate Dining Car LSAs who make and enforce the policy of no cell phones or texting in the Dining Car. People are there to enjoy good food and face to face conversation.

Huh? :unsure:

Other than making extra work for switching crews, I see no advantage to this.
In the past you've said that it's impossible to know what side a given seat will be on because Amtrak switching crews don't pay any attention to the orientation of the car relative to the direction of the train, correct? And that taking the time to physically reorient cars is too difficult and/or time consuming and/or otherwise unworkable. Well, in the case of coach cars the seats can simply be turned around. So, with the exception of seats that are opposite stairwells or other one sided fixtures, most seats could be sold with a specific track side in mind. Assuming of course that the seat and aisle displays were electronic and thus easily adjusted. As for sleeper cars, on the trains I ride half the sleeper car holds bedrooms and the other half holds roomettes. That's not something that's easy to swap physically because those compartments aren't movable. However, if you assumed that a given train had an even number of sleepers and you always attached your sleepers in opposite orientations you could assume that half the bedrooms would be on one side and half would be on the other side. So long as the room numbers and car numbers were electronic signs everything could be spun around logically even though the cars themselves would never move. Obviously there would still be issues on trains with an odd number of sleepers, but I still think it could work better than the "anybody's guess" system we have today. It's not like this is my number one priority for Amtrak and it's certainly no the "best" way to assign seating. It's just a little exercise to see what might work better than what we have today. And, to be perfectly frank, I haven't slept in a very long time so I might not even know what I'm talking about anymore.

:help:

I especially appreciate Dining Car LSAs who make and enforce the policy of no cell phones or texting in the Dining Car. People are there to enjoy good food and face to face conversation.
Of course there actually is no such policy, so any LSA doing that is actually violating Amtrak policy.

As for sleeper cars, on the trains I ride half the sleeper car holds bedrooms and the other half holds roomettes. That's not something that's easy to swap physically because those compartments aren't movable. However, if you assumed that a given train had an even number of sleepers and you always attached your sleepers in opposite orientations you could assume that half the bedrooms would be on one side and half would be on the other side. So long as the room numbers and car numbers were electronic signs everything could be spun around logically even though the cars themselves would never move. Obviously there would still be issues on trains with an odd number of sleepers, but I still think it could work better than the "anybody's guess" system we have today. It's not like this is my number one priority for Amtrak and it's certainly no the "best" way to assign seating. It's just a little exercise to see what might work better than what we have today. And, to be perfectly frank, I haven't slept in a very long time so I might not even know what I'm talking about anymore.
:help:
The car numbers aren't just there for passenger convenience. They are assigned in a logical order so that the crew always knows where a particular car is within that train's consist. So a last minute renumbering would not be a good idea.

Well I don't. Loud conversation, fine. But people can be plenty loud without a cellphone. It's not the LSA's job to enforce some arbitrary opinion of "manners" that don't affect the safety and operations of their charge. Plus, when I'm waiting on my meal, why shouldn't I be able to text someone? Where is it written in the contract of carriage that I must stare at whatever is across from me and do nothing else?

The car numbers aren't just there for passenger convenience. They are assigned in a logical order so that the crew always knows where a particular car is within that train's consist. So a last minute renumbering would not be a good idea.
Half the time the car numbers aren't even updated, so I'm not sure what exactly you're afraid might happen. Would employees suddenly become confused and argue over who gets to service a given car? Would fights break out? Would employees end up on the wrong trains entirely? Just how critical are these numbers anyway?

Half the time the car numbers aren't even updated, so I'm not sure what exactly you're afraid might happen. Would employees suddenly become confused and argue over who gets to service a given car? Would fights break out? Would employees end up on the wrong trains entirely? Just how critical are these numbers anyway?
Suppose Mr A has a medical incident in the Lounge car and the crew needs to find Mrs A ASAP. Would help if the crew knew which order the cars are lined up to facilitate finding Mrs A in her room(ette). Oh, by the way, using the PA to page her won't help because she's deaf/HoH.

The fact that the number board isn't changed doesn't really matter to the crew, which is why it gets forgotten half the time anyhow. The number board is most useful to the passenger; not the crew.

As for what might happen, every conductor always knows that the lowest number sleeper is always the one next to the dining car. So the SCA for the 10 car tells the conductor that he's got someone getting off at say Newton, KS and that the conductor needs to make sure that person gets off since the SCA will be asleep.

So at 2:30 AM or so the conductor walks to the car next to the diner, forgetting that in order to please passengers that want to pick a specific side of the train for their room, that the car next to the dining car for this trip is really the 11 car and he proceeds to wake up the wrong person in an attempt to get them off the train.

Or less extreme, passenger comes into the diner not remembering what their car number is, now the crew has to remember that the 11 car is next to the diner instead of the normal 10 car.

It just creates unnecessary confusion for the crew. The cars are number in order for a reason.

We just returned from a trip on the SWC, using a bedroom for the first time. The insulation between bedrooms was so poor that we could hear every word of our neighbor's cell conversations. In the past, I've found the roomettes to be better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back