NYP Station Food Vendors

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am not sure if this is the right place for this but any way here it goes

What kind of food vendor's can I expect at NYP station?

Any Chinese food or subs?

How are the prices?

Lots of places but many of them serve the same types of food. You will see alot of "European Cafes" that have sandwiches, soups, and made to order salads. Most have grilled sandwiches too... Pannini type. Several Pizza places. There is also a Taco Bell, Nathan's Hot Dog.

On the Amtrak floor (most of the food is on the Long Island floor, the lower concourse) there is Don Peppi pizza which is IMHO the best pizza option in the station. There is also a sushi place, and a boars head deli which has sandwiches a bit more premium (ingredient and price wise) than the stores on the lower level. Also there is a moes burrito up there too.

There's also 2 Starbucks and Jamba Juice on the lower level.

I'm sure I'm forgetting a few things... Lots of options and of course many more just outside:

Just ate at chain in Penn Station last week. Lunch for me was $24. Locally same lunch was $15.

Hi snapshot. Welcome to AU! I was just in NYC for the first time last month and had a blast. One thing that I noticed is that there is a lot of food available. Everywhere. IN the station, there are a couple of convenience stores. Their prices are reasonable. There's a Dunkin' Donuts and other similar food places in the station. Once outside, there is a street vendor on just about every corner. But beware and be sure you know what you are ordering. Even though many of the vendors sell the same food, the prices are anything but the same. I would avoid buying from anyone who doesn't have their prices posted. A few street carts DO post their prices - look for them. You'll shell out between $3-$5 for a hot dog, pretzel, pretzel dog, etc.

On the corner of 8th Avenue and 34th Street (one block from the West exit of the station), there is a 24-hour pharmacy called Dr. Pharmacy (But my receipt said Walgreens). They have donuts and drinks for a couple bucks. BUT once you get to that corner, there is stuff everywhere.

Out the East exit (33rd St @ 7th Ave), there is a McDonalds, Sbarro, and Chinatown Express. Walk about two blocks in just about any direction, and you can find $1 slices of pizza. You won't go hungry! You just may get ripped off, though, if you have to ask what the price for anything is....

Be careful going into a Subway. You may end up on another train instead of getting a sandwich!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank You Everyone. I don't think I will go far I only have a 1 hour layover before my next train. The Chinatown does sound interesting but since this is my first time in NYP and NYC I really don't want to set to far away from NYP. How far away is the Long Island floor to the am trak area? Since it sounds like most food is up stairs. Is it risky to go there if I only have a 1 hour time frame if North East Regional is on time? and if I want food upstairs do I have to be in the Amtrak area 30 min prior to depart. Are the prices good upstaris? Thanks for all reply's as I said this is my first time in NYP station.

There are 21 tracks in NYP. LIRR uses the northernmost several tracks, but LIRR is on the lower level, just a short escalator or stairway from the rest of the station. The tracks are numbered from south to north. NJ transit usually is on the lower numbered tracks, Amtrak in the middle, and Long Island on the north end

Won't be a problem at all - Even going to Chinatown Express. As you exit the station at 7th Ave, hang a left and cross the street at the next corner.

For staying in the station... The layout of NYP is odd... All the tracks are on the same level, but escalators take you from the tiny platforms to either the waiting room level (one below street) or the NJT waiting area (two below street).

If you take the escalators to the top, you'll wind up in a roundish room. In the center of this round room is a couple flights of stairs/escalators. Those will take you to the in-between level where most of the food vendors are.

"Be careful going into a Subway. You may end up on another train instead of getting a sandwich! "

Yes I have not been on a subway system for 4 years in wdc. So I think I will be very careful. Kind of nervous on getting around.
With all this advice I am sure I will find some lunch and maybe some dinner for later.

Someone said they are numbered to find the number of the track my train is on I just look on the display board like in a airport. right?

The Slice Harvester, who has eaten at every pizza-by-the-slice place in Manhattan and documented the results on his web site, has given only one pizzeria an 8-out-of-8 rating, and that is New York Pizza Suprema at 413 8th Avenue. It's just south of the southwest corner of Penn Station (the 8th Avenue and W 31st Street corner). I've never eaten there but a friend of mine has and says it is very, very good.

If you really don't want to leave NYP, Slice Harvester gave Rose Pizza & Pasta and Don Pepe Pizza each 6-out-of-8 and says they are both "way above average" for Manhattan pizza. I have never eaten at them and don't know anyone who has.

Serious Eats says Rose Pizza and Don Pepe are both nice, but if you have the time go to New York Pizza Suprema.

DT Nelson... Slice Harvester is right on in my taste buds opinions. NY Pizza Supreme is crazy good and some of the best pizza in NYC. It is a super easy walk from NYP.

I've tried both Rose Pizza and Don Peppi in Penn and would give extra points to Don Peppi. I'd say Rose is pretty average... Nothing special.

"Be careful going into a Subway. You may end up on another train instead of getting a sandwich! "

Yes I have not been on a subway system for 4 years in wdc. So I think I will be very careful. Kind of nervous on getting around.
With all this advice I am sure I will find some lunch and maybe some dinner for later.

Someone said they are numbered to find the number of the track my train is on I just look on the display board like in a airport. right?
Tracks are posted at NYP 10-15 mins before departure. I've gone to the Mickey' D's with an hour layover no problems. But you can goto the LIRR level from the center concourse. Where the departure board is their are stairs to the LIRR level.

There's plenty of assorted food stands and prepared food. When we took the Keystone we knew there was no food sold onboard, so I got three donuts (or doughnuts) at Krispy Kreme. I understand that's the only location in all of NYC.

I remember while I was waiting for my wife and kid to arrive (long story) I stopped at a deli and got a cold pastrami sandwich. It wasn't Katz's (I wanted to try that place when I was in Manhattan) but I think it was a pretty good value for Manhattan.

If you walk over one block to Macys Department store; in the basement there is a self service food café called "LaCuccina". Prices are moderate and the selection of food is large. You can get different types of pasta, sandwiches, Pizza, salads, fresh fruits, and a large host of hot and cold drinks. While the food is way better than what you will get in the dungeons of Penn station I'd say that you'd need at least an hour and a half to get out and back to the station.

If worse came to worse you could go out the 7th ave exit and go across the street where you will find a buffet style food take out place and a few other joints. You could easily make that stop in an hour.

This is pretty much current: http://jasongibbs.com/pennstation/
The deli at spot #261, Penn Sushi, and Krispy Kreme are the only I consider for takeout inside the station.
I think that's the deli that serves Boars Head... if so they are certainly the best deli, quality wise, in Penn Station that I have found.

As a side note.. they are owned by the Don Peppi Pizza bunch.

Just ate at chain in Penn Station last week. Lunch for me was $24. Locally same lunch was $15.
That's basically true when comparing Manhattan prices with other places.

Most chain places, have a footnote warning that their prices in Manhattan and Alaska might be higher. :)
This is also true in Hawaii as one of our Members can verify! (Hows things in Vegas Eric???)

I'm not proud to admit this, but I absolutely have to have Nathan's corn dog nuggets when I'm at NYP. Can anything be worse for you? Nuggets, fries and a drink for around $7-8. Very thankful there isn't a Nathan's anywhere close to where I live!

For staying in the station... The layout of NYP is odd... All the tracks are on the same level, but escalators take you from the tiny platforms to either the waiting room level (one below street) or the NJT waiting area (two below street).
Amtrak & NJT are on the same level, the first one below street level. The LIRR level is two levels below the street and one above the tracks.

Don Pepi's crust is too crunchy for me, but the flavor is good. I prefer Rose overall. Their cheese slices are the best. Located downstairs on the LIRR concourse. Excellent draft beer selection and roomy dining area.

Where can one get good, cheap, draft beer in the NYP area? Obviously not interested in stores for obvious open container laws, but bar/restaurant wise, where can one get a appealing affordable brew near NYP?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back