NYP Baggage Check In

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shanghai

Engineer
Is it possible to check luggage the day before your train departs?

I recall reading that ticketed passengers may check luggage the day before

their train departs, however, I could not find any mention of this on the

Amtrak website.

I'm almost certain you can. The last time I did it was about 2 1/2 years ago at Baltimore, heading to CHI via Regional and CL.

It's not mentioned on the website and never has been, but it has always been allowed in the past. In a small station you'd be almost guaranteed to have no problems. In NYP you shouldn't, but if you get some power tripping Red Cap, there is always a chance that you'll have a problem.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's not mentioned on the website and never has been, but it has always been allowed in the past. In a small station you'd be almost guaranteed to have no problems. In NYP you shouldn't, but if you get some power tripping Red Cap, there is always a chance that you'll have a problem.
Are these the same redcaps who, upon arrival, run down to baggage and GET your luggage and bring it to you in the lounge, and who, before departure, take the luggage you want to check through to home, and run it down to baggage and bring back your baggage checks? A $10 tip seems to accomplish miracles at NYP. :lol: I don't think that I even saw the baggage check area at NYP. :cool:

Are these the same redcaps who, upon arrival, run down to baggage and GET your luggage and bring it to you in the lounge, and who, before departure, take the luggage you want to check through to home, and run it down to baggage and bring back your baggage checks? A $10 tip seems to accomplish miracles at NYP. :lol: I don't think that I even saw the baggage check area at NYP. :cool:
Yup, the same ones. But they don't get tips when they have to work the counter, so their attitudes sometimes seem to change.

Yup, the same ones. But they don't get tips when they have to work the counter, so their attitudes sometimes seem to change.
I know this approaches offering a bribe, :D but might be considered appropriate to slide a $10, or <gasp> even a $20 across the counter when one asks to check luggage the day ahead if the current request is getting some resistance? :lol:

Thanks for the information.

I'll try to check our luggage, but if becomes a problem, I'll try a tip!!

While Amtrak does a much better job of handling bags than the airlines, I would fear checking in a day early, especially at NYP, is an invitation for lost or misrouted baggage.

About 4 years ago I went from Baltimore to Havre, MT, Northeast regional, Capitol Limited, Empire Builder. I think I checked my bags 3 days ahead of time, and it was no problem, they said they would hold the bags in Havre for my arrival. I had a duffel, skis and a pair of snowshoes, and I wanted to make sure they were waiting for me, which they were.

On the way home, the Capitol Limited was delayed (10 hours!) by snow and ice, and my bags didn't make the connection in DC, I had to pick them up the next day. So I'm glad I checked them in ahead of time on the way out, as I'd hate to have to wait around a day in Havre waiting for my bags.

The correct answer is NYP Amtrak does check luggage one day in advance

of travel for ticketed passengers. The agent was courteous and helpful.

There are large signs in the baggage area saying 50 pound limit per bag.

We checked our bags yesterday for the Silver Star today.

The correct answer is NYP Amtrak does check luggage one day in advance

of travel for ticketed passengers. The agent was courteous and helpful.

Have a great trip, Dick. I will wave as the train passes through Orlando on its way to Tampa. :)

The correct answer is NYP Amtrak does check luggage one day in advanceof travel for ticketed passengers. The agent was courteous and helpful.

Hope you have a good trip on the Silver Star and that there's a trip report when you get back!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back